Abbreviating "And" as "&" in English exams (1 Viewer)

LolMoses

HSC
Is this allowed? Apparently abbreviating "and" with an ampersand is not deemed as appropriate english writing when writing extended responses. Is this true?

I tend to abbreviate it all the time as a habit when writing, and it would be irritating to have to change it now...

mrh94

HSC
I don't think it's a big issue. If they understand what you're saying, then you will be fine.
I use "&" too hahaha. I've never had a teacher tell me to stop...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Use & when linking items that should be together: fish & chips

Use 'and' in all other cases.

That's the ideal way to go. It's probably not going to be a big deal though.

HSC
One of my english teachers corrected all my 'ands' that were ampersand...if you're looking at writing a band 6 essay, stick with the normal 'and' lol

wavess

HSC
I do that all the time in all my essays, none of my teachers complained, it just depends on the teacher I guess

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I think for safety reasons just write the whole word. It doesn't really take that much longer so it's not to your detriment or anything if you just write it out. Our teachers are HSC markers and they have said to not use any sort of abbreviations or contractions in our essays or creative writing because apparently some other markers get annoyed as they consider it "breaking conventional essay writing."

KierenTran

jenko
HSC
Write the whole word, several teachers at my school have already complained about me writing & instead of and. They say it just creates an impression that the kid is lazy and it's not 'correct' grammar. I've tried fixing it, but it still pops up in my writing every now and then!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)