• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A Valediction - Gwen Harwood (1 Viewer)

ChickenFeet

HSC
has anyone got any good ideas with this poem? :)

dont have enough info on it atm and wondering if anyone here has any to share.

thx !

ellabella27

HSC
Well, 'valediction' meand farewell, so remember that when your deconstructing it.

This poem is really complex, basically it explores both extremes of love- physical love (Lou Salome) and spiritual love (Liseux), does this through sarcasm, rhetorical questions, direct speech etc. Then it also talks about how when the persona experiences a parting (a lover leaves, someone dies etc) she gets out her old copy of John Donne's collected poetry to console her, so there are frequent references to Donne and his poems so it might be helpful for you to read some such as 'the sun rising' as it may help you with the idea's in Harwood's poem.

Hope that helps

ChickenFeet

HSC
hmms. i think ill just study abit harder on it :) i had most of those info's already but thanks ! helped alot :D

whatbetch

HSC
yeah i think what was said above is really all you have to go from for a valediction.

but also think about how harwood is saying

- partings should not be full of sorrow, they are a part of life, a truth of getting older, part of the human experience

as well as the exploration of dualities in life for example, naivety and experience and spiritual love vs physical love

does anyone know any 'others perspectives' on a valediction? in terms of readings and critics etc? thanks

cmaclulich

HSC
has anybody got any notes in general? i have a basic understanding but for some reeason im having difficulty with techniques ect.
any help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)