a room of one's own/who's afraid of virginia woolf (1 Viewer)

deliberately

HSC
if there's anyone out there lucky enough to be studying these texts, what are your thoughts? like/dislike? love/hate? and are there any guys schools studying viriginia woolf? haha

P.T.F.E

HSC
i am and are undecided pretty haard text A room of ones own. ur thoughts?

emilee555

HSC
I'm finding it difficult to observe any commonalities between these texts!! help anyone..?

deliberately

HSC
i completely agree re: the hard thing... there must be a grand total of five schools doing this text or something. and the only thing we've talked about in class is how tenuous the link is - why the hell are we doing it then!

the best we've managed is the futility of martha's life is emblematic of societies' failure in regards to women, and how despite being a tertiary educated female of the 1960s, her life still amounts to nothing because she doesn't have the child she so desperately desires.

kind of.

it's rele effing hard. D:

A

Amanaka

there is no link between them, its ridiculous

we've spent like half a term going through a room of ones own and probably gonna end up doing the same with the play and never discuss any links between the texts. how is an essay on the requirements of women to be able to write fiction in any way related to a play about societal disfunction and the futility of religion

:S

legendfunk

HSC
It's crazy, they both say the same thing though. We can compare context, but we can't compare values. At least A Room of One's Own isn't as weighty as some texts

P.T.F.E

HSC
ARoOO is saying that women are just there to have babies and to be a 'lookin glass' for men, and have no money them selves and are not educated.

WAoVW is saying that the wome are rich due to their fathers, they are educated and sort of control the men? but these women are infertiel.

I Have noooo idea what i am suppose to compare. and what concepts?

legendfunk

HSC
ARoOO is saying that women are just there to have babies and to be a 'lookin glass' for men, and have no money them selves and are not educated.

WAoVW is saying that the wome are rich due to their fathers, they are educated and sort of control the men? but these women are infertiel.

I Have noooo idea what i am suppose to compare. and what concepts?
It's their anger over being forced to live up to/failing to live up to the social stereotype:
  • Have kids
  • Be a housewife
  • Husband is educated and successful
etc etc.

P.T.F.E

HSC
assessment monday. i need values and perspectives to compare these to texts. and how they hace changed overtime.

P.T.F.E

HSC
the problem is i can't identify any, could you maybe suggest some? please.

Tastegud

HSC
Mixed School and I have to do this crap ==
It's all values tbh.
They have nothin to do with each other, and Edward Albee actually said in an Interview that he got the name of the book off a grafiti'd toilet. The only relation they have together are the similar topics in that values concept crap.

btw, a room of one's own = crap book.

kelsey861

HSC
if there's anyone out there lucky enough to be studying these texts, what are your thoughts? like/dislike? love/hate? and are there any guys schools studying viriginia woolf? haha
My class is doing A Room of One's Own and Who's Afraid of Viriginia Woolf?. We are the only class doing it at my school though.

BAMoida

HSC
I'm doing these texts and having trouble as well, stupid all girls schools thinking we want to be feminists etc!!
anyways, only connection we have is in it's composition - both the characters in the play and Virginia Woolf dance around the truth to avoid confrontation... eg, VW will say a point you know that she means and then creates a conflicting viewpoint against it so that we are not sure what she believes, her use of exemple (fictional characters etc) are masking her belief... and we have to remember that throughtout the book she is writing from mary beeton(i think or seyton or whatever) and not her own perspective.
in WAoVW the characters assume childish roles and play with words and innuendo and seques etc to avoid the outright truth... Albee implies so much but we never really know what the truth is.

i dunno i think im gunna die with these texts!!

cassiecocaine

HSC
I'm having heaps of trouble as well. We have hardly any links to work with, and most of our time is spent trying to understand the texts, as there's alot to work through for both of them. I feel a bit sorry for all the males in the class though. :mad1:

madelinegrace

HSC
But but but, don't you see.. The most important key word here is context! And their context is both very similar - Post War! WW1 in Virginia's case and WW2 in Edward Albees. The questioning of religion (existentialism) Both explore truth and illusion. Page 17, A room of one's own - read it. And compare it to the overall theme in Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf. It's not that hard..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)