• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A Question (1 Viewer)

Cat_Orange

HSC
Eee.. first post in this huge forum thingy, so if I've got this in the wrong spot, can someone please redirect me?

Admittedly, I'm not even in Year 12, but we've picked our subjects for the year and in nearly a week I start back at school as a Year Twelver. Obviously I picked EE2, and though it seems a little silly, I've spent the last couple of days searching around here trying to understand what the whole course is about.

I picked EE2 because I love to write. But I love to write fiction and nearly everyone I've talked to, or the MW's that I have read in this forum, have been nearly incomprehensible to me. All this stuff about Post-Modernism, or a deep analysis of something or other and I don't really understand them. That's not to say they aren't good, I just don't understand them. And people give their comments on them about how good/bad they are because of a, b or c and I have no clue what they're talking about.

I want to write a short story for my MW. I haven't decided what yet. I guess what I'm asking is: Can you write, say, a short fantasy story, or a crime-fiction story or even a comedy, and still do all right? Because I'd rather know now if I have to write something like the short stories I've read because if I do, I'd say I'm a little fucked.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Basically the subject matter is all about what *you* want, you can still do well if you do crime or fantasy or romance however there has been a trend(or bias depending on who you talk to) towards works that are "postmodern" and "augustine" so to speak. This doesn't mean though, that a work *has* to be like that to score well, it just means there is precedent for the top scorers to be more postmodern than most. So my advice is - write the way *you* want to write, don't write a postmodern work that you don't understand yourself.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
i'll back what kami said. at the end of the day, ee2 is about having a bit of fun and writing what you want, how you want. Hope you enjoy it as much as we all (hopefully) have. best of luck to you!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Cat_Orange said:
Eee.. first post in this huge forum thingy, so if I've got this in the wrong spot, can someone please redirect me?

Admittedly, I'm not even in Year 12, but we've picked our subjects for the year and in nearly a week I start back at school as a Year Twelver. Obviously I picked EE2, and though it seems a little silly, I've spent the last couple of days searching around here trying to understand what the whole course is about.

I picked EE2 because I love to write. But I love to write fiction and nearly everyone I've talked to, or the MW's that I have read in this forum, have been nearly incomprehensible to me. All this stuff about Post-Modernism, or a deep analysis of something or other and I don't really understand them. That's not to say they aren't good, I just don't understand them. And people give their comments on them about how good/bad they are because of a, b or c and I have no clue what they're talking about.

I want to write a short story for my MW. I haven't decided what yet. I guess what I'm asking is: Can you write, say, a short fantasy story, or a crime-fiction story or even a comedy, and still do all right? Because I'd rather know now if I have to write something like the short stories I've read because if I do, I'd say I'm a little fucked.
I felt the same especially after reading CPK's mw. Don't worry you'll get the hang of it soon enough and you'll feel great when you've produced this original piece of work. satisfying, liberating. and no exam, that is the absolute best bit.
kami's said it all, I won't reiterate.

HSC
N/A
Hello Cat_Orange! Welcome to the EE2 Forums!

Like the others have said above, it doesn't have to be incredibly pomo and in-depth etc etc. Some of us here (including myself) have a fantasy/general fiction/etc writing background and quite frankly, don't do the pomo thing very well because it's not natural for us. One is still capable of getting good marks even without doing a pomo story - try reading goldendawn's short story, for example. (2004 BOS Showcase)

nwatts - Justin updated the Showcase threads recently, you should be able to find deuxsexmachina's major work quite easily from there.

nwatts

HSC
glitterfairy said:
nwatts - Justin updated the Showcase threads recently, you should be able to find deuxsexmachina's major work quite easily from there.
Thanks, found it. Absolutely brilliant. :)

gorgo31

HSC
Cat_Orange said:
I picked EE2 because I love to write
It'd be idealistic to say that this is the reason to do this course, but in my opinion, it is thoroughly important if you want to produce a work that really excels.

I was exactly the same as you in Year 11 - I had never written a postmodern story or anything with as much depth or sophistication as some of the BOSers had done. I was a little apprehensive coming into the course. But the one thing I wish that I knew then that I know now, is that a love of writing is not enough to sustain you through a year of EE2. You are going to have to be ready and able to intellectualise, document and critically analyse your work and your work process from start to finish. But if your concept is sound, this is easier than it seems.

Don't worry - it is not necessary to utilise postmodern techniques or quote as many philosophers as you can pull out of your backside in your reflection statement. However, it is quintessential that your concept is one that is sophisticated and requires ongoing independent investigation. Comedy, crime fiction, whatever. As long as you continuously build upon your ideas with inquiry and ongoing investigation you will be fine.

At your stage last year, I had all these ideas for "stories" that I wanted to tell. You know, good plots, interesting naratives, relationship dynamics that I wished to explore. What I know now is that EE2 isn't simply about the "story" you have to tell, but the layers of investigation, intelligence and originality in how you tell it. The purpose of your work, what you aim to achieve with it, what it means to you and is meant to mean to an audience you will ultimately have to specify. This is all so important.

I honestly hope I haven't scared you away from the course, because it's a fascinating experience to go through, especially if you do it with good friends. You all brainstorm and write and bitch and stress and it's great. It's a challenge worth taking (I'll probably withdraw this when we get the marks back :D). At least take it for next term to see how it goes. You've got nothing to lose.

Best of luck :)

HSC
N/A
Hey! I disagree - if you love writing, you're probably equally in love with the writing process. That being said, you still need to be able to discipline yourself to do all the assessments and regularly keep progress up. But fundamentally, I would say that a love of reading and writing is absolutely paramount if you want to do EE2.

I don't think I ever "loved" documenting or critically analysing my work, but I learnt to appreciate it for what it was. Overriding everything was my joy in being able to do something "fun" for my HSC (EE2 was my favourite subject last year, hands down), and that was my motivation for doing all the less-pleasant work that's part of the uni. But I guess it's an individual thing. Would be interesting to do a study/poll on it one day...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)