A question to previous/current students who are doing Digital Imaging/Graphics Desig (1 Viewer)

lunatique56

hi!! Well...my teacher, these past few weeks has been really anxious to get us started on our BOW while we're still pretty much sane, or so they think..o_O. I've got a couple of ideas but I'm not sure whether I'm being realistic here and if it's within digital imaging parameters.....

So...I've got couple of questions to ask previous or current art students who have either based their BOWs on digital imaging or graphics design. Say I've got my image readily finished in photoshop and I wanted to make my artwork large scaled and blow up the image, kinda like the digital art/photography works you see in galleries that take up almost an entire wall area. How do I actually print this afterwards? Are there some printing companies out there that accepts these kind of work? If yes, whereabouts and about how much are the costs?

btw; i'm aware there are certain BOW size restrictions. can someone please tell me what they were again?

thanks alot! :D

frazzle

HSC
you can print large scale artworks at many places, mine were 1.5 m long by... 25 cm i think? full colour. i asked around many many places, and found the best was COFA, and got 7 of them printed at $255.

it's good that you're starting so early, but don't worry if you don't have any ideas, most of the stuff gets done last minute =P

lunatique56

frazzle said:
you can print large scale artworks at many places, mine were 1.5 m long by... 25 cm i think? full colour. i asked around many many places, and found the best was COFA, and got 7 of them printed at $255.

it's good that you're starting so early, but don't worry if you don't have any ideas, most of the stuff gets done last minute =P
*swallows*..$255..hehe..heh..
Ooh yes..is yours the work that had several long panels, centralising around social identity right (that was fab btw)? OK, that's great thanks...i'll look COFA up but whereabouts is it?

Lolz...nah, I'm pretty convinced all this vigour n eagerness will wear off soon...give it a week. Lol...

again, thanks for ur help! :D

frazzle

HSC
what do you mean? you always ALWAYS start off on a high DPI, cos it's so hard to make something bigger without losing quality.

yeah lunatique, that's my one alright =) COFA is in paddington, you can catch a bus from central, or walk down from kingscross station, pretty easy with public transport, but it's hidden behind buildings and trees...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
what i mean is... something 3 metres big? you don't need 300dpi, as people are more likely to view it from a distance.
Something as big as a cd cover, u do.

200dpi is barely distinguishable to the naked eye, 300 is impossible.

frazzle

HSC
hmm yeah, if you try to do something 3 m long on 300 dpi your computer will die, unless you have a super computer...

it's funny cos when i took my stuff to COFA, it made their computer lag heaps cos they were such big files... =P

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
the good thing about big files is you prove ur authenticity...
Like i feel with digital art, the reason some people get low marks.. is cuz it's so tiny it looks like it could of just been downloaded off the net.
I think alot of the marks come from like.. how well it was printed, yours definately looks printed great for the size it is lol.

frazzle

HSC
so you're forced to bring out the big bucks, damn.

it's so wrong though, digital art should be about the image, the content, not its physical presentation. anotehr one of those "shoulds"

no worries.

check out COFA, depedns on how big you want them printed. they also offer a wide range of mediums to be printed on =)

Serg01

At harvey norman they can print i think 5m by 15m tops.. its a long shot but i work thier and If you want I can get you a discount.. that is if you trust me :D

Jase

HSC
You could print it on a4 paper at home on your inkjet and connect everything up with duct tape. That beats spending $500.
Hey you know what? the art gallery should have a computer screen or projector that projects quality images of the comp... so you can view digital art in all its high resolution glory. And the audience can even zoom in and out.. and it changes slides every now and then so you don't have to take up much room. So people start sending in CD's and websites instead of packages... redefining art!

That means the average digital artist will only end up spending only $3!!
3 dollars for a CD for his/her best friend's friend to burn a copy of photoshop. and then mabye a couple of cents/dollars worth of electricity in doing it.

frazzle

HSC
Serg01: can you enquire about pricing etc? i might go print there then, later, cos i'm sure i will be printing...

Jase: but it's nto teh same as having a tangible piece of work... but that's a cool idea! works on a conceptual level too.

i did digital shit too .... but couldn't get it done anywhere so i made a heap of small A3 posters cause thats as big as i could go and it worked?

Serg01

no problem What do you want me to querry.. tell me what you want and I will see how much.. :D:D they can also print of canvas if you want.. or a type of canvas anyway

frazzle

HSC
i don't know yet... haven't really done anything else worth printing after the majorwork.

i'll get back to you on that. thanks serg =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)