a question in Conics (1 Viewer)

Petyo

HSC
It's question 20 page 89 in Fitzpatrick. I have attempted a few ways in approaching it but still I am stuck - -'.
If you have some time please take a look and help me. Any idea will be really appreciated.
this is the question:
P and Q are points on the ellipse (E) and the chord PQ contains a focus. Show that the line joining the point of intersection of the normals at P and Q and the midpoint of the chord PQ is parallel to the X-axis.
I have tried doing it this way: I tried to find the y-coordinate of the intersect of the 2 normals and then the y-coordinate of the midpoint of PQ and tried to prove these 2 are equal. It didn't work. = =!

EvoRevolution

HSC
P(x1,y1) and Q(x2,y2) are two points on the ellipse
Let the equation of the line PW be y = mx + k.
As PQ passes throuhg the focus (ae,0)

therefore mae + k therefore = -mae
y=mx-mae (equation of PQ)
Solve simultaneously the equations of chord PQ and the ellipse to find P and Q.

find midpoint of PQ

find the point of interesection of the normals of p and q

you have to use sum and product of roots in some parts of the solution

Petyo

HSC
wow thanks for your immediate response. btw what do you have for the point of intersection of the normals?

Last edited:

EvoRevolution

HSC
u find the equations of the normals at P and Q solve them simultaneously
then make y the subject.

equation normal: and same for the other one

when solvin sumlataneouly use the subtraction method easier

gurmies

Drover
HSC
In my opinion, you need a certain "condition" which you can acquire by using the fact that chord PQ contains a focus. I am currently trying this question, and from what I can see, it involves some heavy algebra xD. Hopefully i'll get back to you in a short while.

EDIT: This algebra is killing me -.-

Last edited:

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
well cos im a lazy bugger and cbb with all the algebra

just by lookin at the question, because it says parallel, you could possibly use similarity, i'd need to draw a diagram to be sure, however its definite you will have ONE common angle, however not sure how to incorporate any other information without drawing a diagram..

but then again it may be a complete waste of time lol

good luck..XDD

Petyo

HSC
THanks guys for all your replies.
@EvoRevolution: I've tried your way but it's getting quite complicated because the mid-point involves "m" (which I don't know how to get rid of afterward) while the intersection of the normals does not involve "m". maybe i'm wrong = =!
@gurmies: I'm not sure if I misunderstood the question but it seems to me that this question isn't just about algebra (I've been wrestling with it since this afternoon)
-----------------------------
Anyway, I've got y= [ aey1yo (x1-xo)] / [b^2 (yo - y1)]
and ae= (yoy1-y1xo)/(yo-y1) with (x1,y1) and (xo,yo) are the coordinates of Q and P...
but i reckon they're useless. :mad1:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)