A question for the teachers here (1 Viewer)

jessdub96

HSC
I love education and I am so interested in the reasons behind why people choose to go into it. I am also hugely passionate and an advocate for public education but I am interested in the different reasons behind where teachers choose to teach.

So.. (if you are willing to answer)-

Why did you choose to become a teacher? Was it something you fell into or a realisation you made early on?
Are you happy and fulfilled in your career? Why? (What are the best and worst parts)
And, are you a public or independent/catholic school teacher and why is that? Have you always taught within the one sector, why/why not?

I would LOVE to hear your responses. I am so excited by the thought of teaching. Answer some, all or none of the questions..whatever you like- but I would so appreciate hearing what you have to say :)

Merry christmas all!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm currently studying to become a Mathematics teacher (and already on the path towards it with my current occupation).

I can provide my input if you like, though it of course may not be as valuable as that of a person who's been teaching for 20+ years.

jessdub96

HSC
I'm currently studying to become a Mathematics teacher (and already on the path towards it with my current occupation).

I can provide my input if you like, though it of course may not be as valuable as that of a person who's been teaching for 20+ years.
Oh I would love to hear!! It's all valuable and hugely interesting to me :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I choose to teach for many reasons, including:

- I want to retire, look back, and be satisfied that I have made a good contribution to society.

- I believe in the power of 'getting in there early' and 'planting the seeds whilst the soil has been newly manured'.

- I love explaining things, and there is a deep personal satisfaction gained when you explain something and the information is 'transferred' 100% with no interference (being mis-understandings).

- Mathematics is something sorely misunderstood by society, and although I cannot completely turn it around, I want to turn around as much of it as I can. Kind of utilising the power of the 'word of mouth'. Convince 30 people fully about the beauty of the subject, and each of those will convince say another 10 etc etc.

I am sure that there are more reasons that I just cannot think of atm haha.

I realised that teaching was for me when I was in Year 12, and a few of my friends were struggling with an upcoming Extension 2 Mathematics test. I taught them the topics and told them which questions to do from which textbooks. They did so and sat the test. When test results came, they all got 100% whereas I had got 98% ! I was a bit embarrassed about it at first, but more deeply I felt a huge sense of satisfaction knowing that I had made an impact, because we were all certain that they would not have acquired such a mark without it.

From then on, my interest in it grew deeper as I posted more on this website and answered basically every single Maths question until I had reduce my posting significantly some time this year.

With what I am doing currently (including all the extra-curricular activities I provide on behalf of the Bored of Studies), I am very happy and it is very fulfilling. I'm not going to lie, sometimes I want to rip my hair out, but the sense of satisfaction afterwards makes up for it.

One of the things I love most is receiving a card from a student or from my class. Not only does it show that they appreciated my teaching enough to do such a thing, but I can also look back at it 10 years later and say "Oh! I remember teaching them!" and reflect the past.

Really really happy to see somebody else who also is keen on doing education. Good on you, really!

There's a lot more that I want to say about teaching, but unfortunately I'm not really one to be able to efficiently transfer what's in my head to a post on the forums.

HSC
Uni Grad

So I believe you're doing a Masters of Teaching/Diploma of Teaching afterward, amirite about that? Or the Teach for Australia programme?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Why did you choose to become a teacher? Was it something you fell into or a realisation you made early on?
Never considered anything else as a serious option - from even before I started school as a child I felt destined to be a teacher.

Are you happy and fulfilled in your career? Why? (What are the best and worst parts)
Mostly very fulfilled and happy as a teacher. Really love seeing kids learn and grow into responsible and confident young adults. Best part - having strong relationships with children that grow into relationships with young adults. Worst part - all the increasing paperwork we have to do now that wasn't necessary when I started over 30 years ago.

And, are you a public or independent/catholic school teacher and why is that? Have you always taught within the one sector, why/why not?
Now in the independent sector but started in the state system. Why did I change - I was offered a job in an independent high school at a time when I was looking for a change of school and have been at that school ever since.

Teaching to me is a rewarding career - so long as you are happy to take those rewards in ways other than money but in intrinsic things like I had this year - my school is K - 12 and I was asked by one of the primary teachers to talk to her class about Australia's role in the World Wars in the weeks leading up to Anzac Day which I did. One of the boys then drew me a picture of a plane as a thank you - that is a treasured possession and a reward that I will keep.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
My maths teacher made me love maths.

And my English teacher made me despise English...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
1.. Just fell into it via scholarship. Had a choice of research vs. teaching and chose teaching.

2. Very happy! The first couple of years are VERY hard, VERY time consuming and can pretty much make or break you.. GOOD NEWS IS THAT IT DOES GET EASIER!!! Its quite a big shock tbh and something which I was not ready for. I actually went back to uni during my 2nd yr of teaching to do my MBA as I didnt think teaching was right for me. About 2yrs further into teaching, after refining my practice and learning different ways to enable all types of learners to learn effectively, I could no longer see myself leaving teaching.
Like anything in life, teaching is what you make of it. If you dont put effort in and are dull and boring, then odds are you will not find it fulfilling as the kids will not engage. If ur dull and boring -- become an accountant. For the last 3-4 years, I cannot remember not smiling in the staffroom, on my way to class, in class and on the way home.
Teaching is dynamic, interesting and fulfilling.
If you want to make a difference, it takes a great deal of time doing research, preparing effective lessons and of course dealing with the students (depending on the school, classroom management can either be a huge part of the learning curve or not). The school which I was placed at is a pretty good school! Had a few ratbags in my time, but mostly good kids.

3. Been in public system for 7 years, but am moving into Catholic system next year. I was actually formerly the posterboy for Public Education, due to my rugged good looks (especially when I had hair). Moving simply due to a position at a school with an extremely good reputation and much closer to home coming up at a suitable time. I had a choice between this school and a selective school in my area, but went for the Catholic one.
Only crap thing about switching sectors is that you give up the entitlements which you have built up (ie, I would get Long Service Leave next year, but had to give it up also hadto give up my accumulated sick leave etc..) but due to proximity of the new school, I will be saving nearly $200 a week in toll payments and petrol, so well worth it in the long run!

Last edited:

jessdub96

HSC
Wow thankyou for replying everyone! So so great to read.

Carrotsticks- I totally agree with what you said about maths being misunderstood. If I'm honest, I don't even take maths as a subject.. I dropped it early year 11 however I am sure that if I had an amazing teacher who was able to convey their passion for the subject to me, my enjoyment of the subject and also performance would have been so different. It was never something that came naturally to me as english and history did, but now I realise that we are all capable of being brilliant at the subject and enjoying it... it just needs to be brought out differently with different students. That's what teaching is about for me, it's amazing how much of a difference it can make to a student's life. :)

Fizzy_Cyst- What are the most challenging things about the first couple of years? Is it that you have to build your teaching style/lesson plans from scratch whereas later on you can use what you've already done with other students, if that makes sense?

I'm just starting by second term of year 12 after the holidays and hoping to go to eventually become an english/history and society and culture teacher. I've been so interested in education for a while- starting when the Arts Unit was threatened by funding cuts early last year which I have been widely involved with and seen how much it has changed my peers lives, especially those from rural areas. I then became really passionate about the value of public education and the arts in education and this has only grown with all the Gonski drama of recent times. I realised education was an area I was interested in pursuing. At the end of the term this year my favourite teacher of all time (the kind of teacher, those who are fortunate, have maybe one or two of in their time at school) told us he was leaving and upon discovering how much of an impact he had made on me and the rest of my class I realised that teaching was definitely for me.

Thank you everyone again... you all sound like brilliant teachers, really! Love to chat to like minded others.

ChillTime

HSC
I think it's great that you're passionate about teaching - if you enjoy your job, it won't feel like work. I was originally very keen on engineering, but my experience with teaching at various tuition schools has made me take the teaching path. I just finished B Engineering, and I'm now pursuing an M Teach.

I'm a technical person, but I'd rather make a difference to kids' futures by helping them understand maths and physics - and live a fulfilling life; than make a difference to a company's profits by grinding away on an obscure project.

I've got a question for Fizzy_Cyst, when you first started full time teaching, how many hours did you spend on work (including stuff done at home) all up and what sort of behavioural problems did you have to put up with? I've got a feel it's very different from teaching at a tuition centre.

Constantine

HSC
I choose to teach for many reasons, including:

One of the things I love most is receiving a card from a student or from my class. Not only does it show that they appreciated my teaching enough to do such a thing, but I can also look back at it 10 years later and say "Oh! I remember teaching them!" and reflect the past.
I did that for my year ten teachers. Not every single one of them but just the really awesome ones that not only taught me the textbook content but other things in life. I wrote them a letter and even picked a small present to go along with it. I'm a very shy person so I didn't give it to all of them in person (a bit rude of me) and instead left it on their desk on the last day of school. It's great to find out from a teacher's perspective about what they think about this. Honestly I don't think students say thank you to their teachers enough these days but anyway.

You sound like you will be an amazing teacher one day! Good luck and I sincerely hope that one day you can become one of those maths teacher that makes kids who think they're not good at maths become interested.

Want to be a university professor one day. You know, with the crazy old wig and the hoarse voice.

Be teaching all 'em kids how to think. That's what I call good contribution to society, and a valuable use of time.
I was once told this and I will remember it for a long time to come (not that I'm saying it applies to you but just for the laughs):

"If you like kids, become a primary school teacher. If you like the subject you want to teach, become a high school teacher. If you like money, become a university professor."

HSC
Hi there! I'm not exactly a teacher (yet) but I've done so much research and definitely intent to pursue a career in teaching. Hope my answers help, or just give you another opinion! :)

Why did you choose to become a teacher?

- I love people, I love working with people and I love seeing development and growth in others. It's so exciting and rewarding knowing that you have either inspired, helped and/or encouraged someone else, and have made a real difference in their lives. You have the ability to really influence someone else and have the power to motivate them to go where they want to be.

Was it something you fell into or a realisation you made early on?

- Yeah... kinda? I grew up in a very "Medicine or Law" family, but ever since year 10 when I had to do work experience I just thought of doing teaching and the more I've looked into it the more I've liked it. I've even done career's tests and the first option that's come up is Education, mostly Secondary education.

- From teacher's I've spoke to all seem very happy with their career choices. They like the subject, the people they work with, how each day is different and watching people grow. It seems to be very rewarding career where you can be creative in the way you choose to teach, and it keeps you young and updated with technology. Also the holidays! XD Worst - marking, feedback, camps... but yeah that's about it :)

In regards to the question about Public/Independent/Catholic -

- I'm most familiar with the private sector and feel that the resources in an independent school would be better than in a public school, which is why I'd prefer to teach in the independent sector. That opinion of mine has come through two weeks of work experience and two different schools, so I'm not too experienced. I definitely want to get out more!! ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)