A question for the knowledgable. (1 Viewer)

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Hi everyone.

So, today I got my mark for 2 Unit Math's back. Let's just say the mark was extremely poor and the head teacher of Math's at school told me I will be forced to do General Mathematics in Year 12.

Can they actually 'force' me to do this? I don't want to drop down to general - I know my marks for the yearly were pretty bad but I'll be getting a math's tutor to help correct this, on top of a lot more study and effort on my part.

Am I completely screwed already?

Thanks.

*emi*

HSC
i dont think they can make you drop down - you need to prove to them that you are willing to put the effort in
maybe do some past papers and hand them in?

lulabelle

HSC
they might recommend you drop it but they won't force you to, I'm failing ext.1 maths and I'm still doing it next year......cause I just love maths.....

as long as you're willing to work harder next year, don't worry about it

princy

HSC
I know someone who was in a similar situation with English. His parents had to have an interview with the head teacher, who was his teacher had the time, and he had to sign some thing to say that he was going to remain in Advanced English despite the recommendations of the English faculty.

muttiah

Banned
HSC
nope they cant force u.. but they MIGHT call ur parents etc.... if u really wanna do it.. then study in da holidays then prove to ur teacher that u can do good in 2 unit.. just one more motivation for u...

goodluck cya

BFF

HSC
yeah they cant force you but they probably know what they are talking about. He was probably just strongly reccommending that you drop down to general. If you really want to do it there is no reason you cant do it you just need to work hard.

w00dy.

HSC
basketcase89 said:
Hi everyone.

So, today I got my mark for 2 Unit Math's back. Let's just say the mark was extremely poor and the head teacher of Math's at school told me I will be forced to do General Mathematics in Year 12.

Can they actually 'force' me to do this? I don't want to drop down to general - I know my marks for the yearly were pretty bad but I'll be getting a math's tutor to help correct this, on top of a lot more study and effort on my part.

Am I completely screwed already?

Thanks.
i didnt think it was possible for head teachers or any teacher to force you to do subjects or drop subjects. ultimately i think it is the students choice. a teacher could advise a student but shouldnt be able to make the decision

i think if your willing to put the hard yards in to improve then go for it. =]

good luck with it =]

HSC
well, if u've signed one of those notes things where u have to achieve a certain standard (e.g65% + just an example), well then u may be forced to drop

but unless that is the case, they cannot force u to drop

howver, if u r really struggling and cbb putting in the effort, then it is recommended that u drop

but if u're willing to put in the hard yards, then stay in 2unit and try to prove the teachers wrong, when u do, shove it in their face, and ask em, how's that then

then u walk off with a big smile

trying2motivate

HSC
Hi, i was in a similar situation to the one u are in. I ended up dropping to general which seems like such a waste because its incredibly easier and there is miles of difference in between general and 2 unit. However, ive realised that if i just focus hard on not making silly mistakes and get a really good mark in general it will prob be advantageous as opposed to getting so-so mark in adv.

You cant be forced to drop and if you think u have room to significantly improve, then go for 2 unit! However it also may be wise to consider the degree of difficulty that your other subjects have, and whether the increased energy into 2 unit will negatively affect ur performance in those other subjects

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Thanks for your help guys!

I'm sticking with the 2 Unit course - I know I'm pretty shit at maths but I've decided to keep at it. I admit I haven't been the best student this year and my marks reflect that. However, I'm going to work harder ten fold and shall prove my math's teacher wrong in about one years time. :):):)

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
By the way I'm looking for a 2 Unit Math's tutor, so if anyone has a recommendation please let me know ASAP. Thanks.

amisha_amisha

I'm a Title now?
HSC
An institution cannot force you to drop any subject, to drop out of school, or even pursue a HSC exam or UAI.

The only thing your school can do is recommed you, based on what they believe will be best for you. They can strongly be against your decision for keeping 2 Unit Maths, but they cannot physically stop you from continuing it. Even if they feel it will jepordise your HSC results, they cannot force you to drop it.

But, you must think about what they are saying. They are experienced teachers and pretty much know their student's potential and what they are capable of. If your teacher strongly agrees for you to drop to General Mathematics... then have you ever considered it is the best option?

Remember, you only get scaled up if you DO WELL IN THE COURSE. If you failed the course, you are not only putting your UAI in jeporady - but you are potentially going to bring down the rest of the students in your 2 Unit class. I mean, realistically, if you get a Band 4 or lower you really have a small chance of getting over 80 or 85 - even if all your other sujects are a Band 5. You need to be consistent in your results to not get affected too much with scaling.

If you are are seriously struggling in Maths, like you don't understand the concepts etc, then talk to your teachers, or get a tutor. It may help your HSC results in the future.

Consider all your decisons. Are you struggling in maths? Why? Do you want a UAI? If so, what is your aim? What is the UAI to get in your desired course? Do you even NEED 2U for the course you want to pursue?

You really need to make an educated decision.

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Yes I've thought about it already, thanks. Also I didn't fail the course. My average is 70%.

Lani89

HSC
Don't worry, it may just be a reflection of your teacher's teaching skills, thus being the case at our school. If other people are doing bad as well then it may be that the teachers should go into a little more detail when explaining maths rules and stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)