A question addressed to persons aiming for, or expecting, a high ATAR... (1 Viewer)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I don't think you can concentrate for much more than a solid hour or two at a time. And what on Earth are kids doing that they need to study every single day?
In my school, this is the norm. And it's less than 4 weeks till the Trials start...everyone's serious. I'm sure everyone else is studying while I'm bored on BoS :D

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Maybe kids these days write notes as they learn it in school, rather than all in 2 or 3 days in stuvac?

Who knows. Crammer4lyf.

Chambalam

HSC
Maybe kids these days write notes as they learn it in school, rather than all in 2 or 3 days in stuvac?

Who knows. Crammer4lyf.
I think cramming has its perks and its times. You know, doing SOR cramming works - I've stayed up late and bludged prior, but that was with prepared tasks, and seen questions.

With things like the trials you gotta let that amount of content settle a little :\ Or maybe my brain is under-developed :p Too much flourine...

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
In my school, this is the norm. And it's less than 4 weeks till the Trials start...everyone's serious. I'm sure everyone else is studying while I'm bored on BoS :D
i think i gave you a 99 estimate so ur doing pretty well considering u dont seem to study.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
i think i gave you a 99 estimate so ur doing pretty well considering u dont seem to study.
I study...just not very consistent. I never do homework though. Fcuk that siht! I guess being in a semi competitive selective school forces me to put in some effort. I'm still 14 ranks off the top 40 :( As long as I survive this year with a decent ATAR above 98 I'll be happy :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Whoever said, they didn't know anyone get high 99s without chem/physics/4u math without out being top of state in either literature or a language.

An alumni from my school got 99.7 with doing 4U English, Bio, Modern, Ancient, History Ext and Legal.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Whoever said, they didn't know anyone get high 99s without chem/physics/4u math without out being top of state in either literature or a language.

An alumni from my school got 99.7 with doing 4U English, Bio, Modern, Ancient, History Ext and Legal.
I think he's talking about the trend. Most high 99ers do 4U and Phys and/or Chem and/or Eco

Hermes1

Banned
HSC

guys from my skool last yr got 99.75 and 99.40 without doing any maths or english extensions or sciences or economics

imZerroo

HSC
Depends how long the study is?

3-6 hours is normal for MOST high atar students, high as in 99+ and obviously there are those smart people that do 2-3 hours a day and still end up with 99.9

But overall Study Smart is the way to go, smart plus long is just win win
How do you know how to study smart?
How do you know if you actually are studying smart? :L
Any tips of studying smart for all science and maths ext.1?

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
How do you know how to study smart?
How do you know if you actually are studying smart? :L
Any tips of studying smart for all science and maths ext.1?
You need to have a clear plan on what you want to learn. Smart study differs from person to person.
For Physics it's pretty simple.
Make notes on each and every Syllabus dotpoint.
Memorise the key facts for the 'remembering' dot points and complete problems for the 'calculation' dot points.
Always rememver to state the formula(e) required and show the substitution line.
I'd recommend the Shadwick HSC Physics 'Dotpoint' workbook to test your knowledge.
After learning your notes and completing Dotpoint, practice past HSC papers. Look at the marking criteria for each question and relate it back to the syllabus dotpoint being tested.
I can't give any advice on Pracs, seeing as the marking criteria differs from school to school.
Maths is different. This is what I do for 3U.
I know MOST of the content in the 3U so I sit past HSC papers. I divide the exam into parts. Stage I Q1-5 and Stage 2 Q6-7.
Each Stage has 50 minutes working time and 5 minutes reading time (for both stages). Pass mark for Stage 1 is 58/60. Pass mark for Stage 2 is 21/24 with the total pass mark being 79/84. The normal 3U HSC is 2 hours, so you have 10 minutes time to look over your work and fix up any mistakes. Keep doing papers until you're consistently passing. If you can't do a question, skip it. 3U is about speed. You can come back to it later. If you're consistently getting a particular topic wrong, work on textbook problems. ALWAYS MARK YOUR WORK.
4U, I'm not going to give any advice other than 4U=Care.

tl;dr Phys: notes on each dot point, memorise.
3u : Past papers, 2 stages, pass is 79/84 or higher. Speed.
4u : Care

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Work smarter, not harder.

This means finding ways of memorising details and concepts that actually are unique to you. For instance, I'm great with flash cards and flow diagrams when I am trying to learn systems of the body, latin names for organs or studying individual hormones or diseases for case study patients. Colours seem to help too.

Studying for maths is always different, though. Maths requires continual revision of the topics (including the basic things) so the thoughts never really have a chance to leave your mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)