A little question on bands. (1 Viewer)

hon1hon2hon3

HSC
I know that there might have alot of threads about scaling and stuff, please bare with me.

I just wanted to ask that, lets say for Extension maths , theres only 4 band. Lets say if i get E4 in Extension 2 maths ( Very god dam unlikely ), is that mean i will get a HSC aligned mark of 75+ ? ( Seeing theres about 25% people who get E4 )

If thats the case, i think i need to kiss good bye to my UAI, i only have like 51-59 over 84 for extension 1 maths.

Theres goes my HSC.

*side note, I know i must have got a lot of gramma mistakes in my post, any friendly comment is welcomed, but if you just want to remind me that , people like me wont stand a chance in HSC, then dont post please. Thankyou

hon1hon2hon3

HSC
To Kevinx2,

I have seen that thread before, but it didnt answer my questions on bands, its all about how your mark is moderated. . or have i mistaken ? Thx for trying though.

morgoe

HSC
I THINK how it works is that you're 'competing' against the whole state, and so only 10% may get an E4 but thats 10% of the whole state, which works out to be a whole lot when you consider just the Ext2 students. I dont know the numbers, but say 12000 students did ext2 maths then approximately half of them would get an E4.

I 'THINK'. Not sure.

friction

HSC
No its not. The top band E4 or band 6 goes to the poeple that get over a mark that the markers decide on. They decide on this mark by the difficulty of the test. That is all there is to it. There are no set values or anything for it. Although it changes only a little from year to year for each subject

philxe

HSC
i have been looking around for similar answers, and i think it works like this:

a Band e4 in both Ext 2 and Ext 1 Maths is a mark between the range of 90 - 100 when reported as two seperate 2 unit subjects

e3 is about 70 - 89

e2 is 50 - 69

Btw, about 32% of the people gets an e4 and about a further 40 - 49% gets an e3, so a mark of 75 is considered a low e3.

the performance bands is from boardofstudies
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2007_12.html

HSC
Remember that you're dealing with ALIGNED marks, not raw marks. Raw marks would be aligned quite a bit for MX2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)