A Little Question About BNW.. (1 Viewer)

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
I was looking through a few forums, and I was comparing it with my own knowledge, and I saw something missing.

Maybe nobody has the same edition of BNW as me, because mine is a gazillion years old
But in the foreword, it quotes Huxley as saying that he wanted to write a futuristic novel as a revolt agains thte Wellsian idealistic Utopia, then it quoted the HG Wells idea of Utopia...

Has anyone else noted that?

Am I going insane, or does that sound like a pretty large aspect of the context behind Brave New World??

zeek

HSC
no i think its true...
i read somewhere that H.G Wells deemed the novel as a "treason against science" and all scientific progress.
Huxley created the novel as a "satirical revolt" against all the other sci-fi stuff that was out during the 1920s because all that was written was that science and scientific progress was great and wonderful but no one ever wrote about the disadvantages such as pollution etc. This was huxley's aim.

poopoohead

HSC
LottoX said:
There is not any indication of pollution whatsoever in Brave New World, in my opinion, it is a revolt against the idea of Utopia and the lengths to which humanity will go to reach this unreachable state. The only reason Huxley mentions the science and mathematics in his novel is to address what he perceives as a Hedonistic drive towards perfection which only serves to mutilate humanity. This surge in the pursuit of stability and safety stems from this same objective following the Great Depression and the years during and following World War I, as well as the great social upheaval occuring in Central Europe at the time.
you sound really smart

i need to go poo. but not on my head tho. HAHAHhaaaa

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
^^um k..

but yeh i have the same copy as you. i dont know that its something incredibly new, you'll pretty much find the cliche line 'huxley's dystopian, satirical novel agianst progress and science rampaging out of control' in anything written about it (or at least i have)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)