A Little Help With Pompeii and Herculaneum (1 Viewer)

lockedbox

HSC
Hi, I'm a bit trepidatious about the archaeology question on the upcoming Ancient history exam. I'm confident in my knowledge of the big 4 and have all my notes on their significance and contribution, but I'm much less confident about post 1970's archaeologists, which could potentially shave 5% off my exam mark. I would very much appreciate to hear anyones information about the changes in archaeology and conservation post 70's and good detailed examples would recieve my utmost adoration and gratitude.

Last edited:

chels777

HSC
There is:
*jaye pont who scientifically studied fragements of pottery found around the sarno river and determined their origin from greece and turkey proving trade did occur in Pompeii
*wilhemina jashmenski: used apoxy resin to cast plant roots and seeds and determined the types of vegetation in both Pompeii and Herculaneum and thus determined staple crops etc also had aided in the parasitic plant problem
*sarah bisel: studied bone composition to determine the health of resdients, their occupation and what living conditions were like
*estelle lazer: studied remains used apoxy resin which could be scanned by CT scans to give a more wholestic view of the persons body type etc e.g. the lady of oplontis
* university of north caronlina has compiled digital photos and scans of the suburban baths in order to create a 3 dimensional replica this aids in preservation and exploration of the site and ensures valuable evidence is not lost
*sigurssdon: studied the statigraphy in both pompeii and herculaeum to determine the 2 stages of the erruption

this should be enough to get you through hope it helps :)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
*Pompeii Project British school at rome.

*Anglo-American Project

*Pompeian Trust

jimmy93

HSC
Do not forget the Italian Institute for Cataloging and Documentation and the Contribution of the European Union. You could also talk about how post-1970's the main focus is conservation, not excavation or restoration. Have a look at Wallace-Hadrill's argument for this. Also, don't forget the contribution of the Italian Government and the Superientendza di Archaelogica de Pompeii (if that's how you spell it haha). Good luck and just memorise a bit about the ethical issues surrounding the display of bodies, as that is something they have never asked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)