A few random tips (3 Viewers)

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Grey Council said:
eh, I could go on. Don't start from question 10, its just not worth it.
I agree. Unless you're a super-freakin'-genius and you get a huge boost of confidence from getting the hardest questions done first quickly so you could do the rest in a flash :p

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Personally I don't think working backwards is bad. While I didn't do it for prelim 2 unit, in ext 2 I've got higher marks on the occasions I did do the paper backwards.

HSC
^^You must be the exception not the rule

But for the most part....Do the last three questions first? No. The whole test is designed so you WILL do it in the proper order...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
watatank said:
^^You must be the exception not the rule

But for the most part....Do the last three questions first? No. The whole test is designed so you WILL do it in the proper order...
Basic Algebra at the beginning then you get slugged an uber difficult Loan Repayment/Superannuation/Trigonometry or some question at the end that reveals the real Mathematician in Q10.

beatresult said:
Multiple choice is easiest first.
I bet you sign anything blindly, even if you didn't notice the fine print stating your assets will be seized at will.

airie said:
I agree. Unless you're a super-freakin'-genius and you get a huge boost of confidence from getting the hardest questions done first quickly so you could do the rest in a flash :p
The super-freakin' geniuses do Maths Extension 1 and 2 exams only, unless they want to mess up with us Maths kids.

Marcus Aurelius said:
I hate the stupid mistakes.
Positives instead of negatives, rounding off incorrectly (not so much now), writing the correct answer THen scribbling it out and writing the wrong one cause i thought the one that was right was wrong.........the list goes on.
I remember in my first assessment if i had not done stupid mistakes i would have gotten 20% higher from 60ish to (you guessed it) 80ish.
So yeah, thats all i gotta say. Stupid mistakes are my worst enemy.
Numero Uno reason why I lost ridiculous amounts of marks in my Half-Yearly :(

kloudsurfer

HSC
I have a tip.

Remember +c (or k orwhatever you use) when integrating!

I swear I forget that every single test!

kloudsurfer

HSC
f3nr15 said:
It's always + C ... always ... for indefinite integrals
My textbook says k (for some reason...k for 'konstant'??? lol) in the answers, but I use c.

Wasnt sure what everyone else uses...

Last edited:
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
My textbook says k (for some reason...k for 'konstant'??? lol) in the answers, but I use c.

i'm pretty sure its convention to use c, but seriously who cares what letter you use (unless its x or y or t, that might get awkward lol), the point is you know that its some constant.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Oy, my Physics teacher said ∫P dx = 1, where P is some function in Quantum Mechanics ...
but is there is no derivative of a constant ...

kloudsurfer said:

From my experience in 2U, the constant, k is used in binomials and trinomials e.g kx2 + 2x +3 > 0 and so on ...

the "+ C" is used in indefinite integrals only.

lunavixen

HSC
thanks, i read that carefully and now i realise where i'm going wrong, i keep rushing in tests, this'll help :)

samuel slack

HSC
the +k comes from the fact that constant is spelt with a k in german, and the guy who did all the working with indefinite integrals was german. Hence, you either change it to c, or stay with the original k. Both correct. :)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
a tip to do well in maths is to not get cocky and think that you will do well, because you always end up getting disaapointed. my maths teacher said to skip problems if you dont know how to do them, or just guess it. If its only worth one mark, guess it, and go on. remember to not place two answers in your test, because now they count it as wrong (i used to put three multiple answers and they accepted them, but not anymore). ALSO, make sure that if it doesnt say to round off, then dont! keep it in the long way or as a fraction, because I GOT ONE MARK TAKEN OFF FOR ROUNDING IT OFF!!! STUPID TEACHER!!!!

if you dont want to make stupid mistakes, then try to check your paper in the end. What tends to work is to turn your paper upside down or cover your answer, and do the question again and you will find whether you made a silly mistake. people make stupid mistakes because they assume it is right, since they know all the stuff already. its the same with english. usually, people cannot spot errors in their work because they wrote it themselves and know what its supposed to be read as.

DONT LOSE YOUR CONCENTRATION IN ANY EXAM. ohhh and i find that when i encounter a hard question, i lose all belief in myself. I advise to treat every question individually and to not be put down by one hard question. If you cant finish the whole paper because you dont know how to do the remaining questions, then dont bother with trying how to work out how to do the remaining problems. Go back and check the problems you have already did. At least you can make sure you have those marks secured. It would be pretty sad to have marks taken off for questions you havent done and also marks taken off for silly mistakes in questions YOU CAN DO!!!

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
youre in year 10?
You shouldn't use someones year level as a means to determining the value of their contirbution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)