• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A few questions (1 Viewer)

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I recently enrolled in commerce/economics in UNSW and I have a few questions in regards to this course and university in general.
I would like to pursue minors outside the ASB, maybe in the Arts and science faculties. Is it still possible having a double degree? I have consulted the student handbook but it only gave indication of "free electives". I would also like to know when this is possible (semester or date) and how many free electives I am able to take.
In addition just out of sheer curiosity, I was wandering what were the demographics of commerce and economics, i.e. race and gender.

Thanks in advance guys and I appreciate your help! :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
1. No minors outside ASB. There are 12UOC of free electives outside the ASB - this will account for 2 subjects.
2. Mostly Asians/Indians and 50/50 guys and girls.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Ah thanks a lot for your feedback!
I wanted to minor in philosophy but I guess I could take 2 courses in that area.

I also didn't study extension 1 maths (only 2u). Are there any highly maths proficient com/eco courses?

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
50/50 guys and girls? More like 70/30 or maybe 65/35 at the very very most... at least in my experience, or recollection.

And maths in Commerce and Economics is pretty much a joke. If you can plug in numbers to equations, you're half way there. Though admittedly you do get to do some interesting maths in Economics, you use Lagrange Multipliers which is second year calculus (but you rote learn it and just use it "because it works")

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Ah that is good news! Personally I would like to study physics, philosophy, literature, economics and commerce all together but I know that's impossible. Did UNSW ever have a liberal studies course?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
BComm (Liberal Studies) though I think it's been retracted

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, so disappointing.. I really wanted a broader option and I did not get high enough ATAR for Usyd. Anyway I will get a philosophy degree from coursera.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, another question; If I do all the courses that overlap with commerce and economics, do I have spare units to do a minor in arts? A minor is basically a small version of a major right =/?

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, another question; If I do all the courses that overlap with commerce and economics, do I have spare units to do a minor in arts? A minor is basically a small version of a major right =/?
Yeah you will have more free electives, so choose whatever you want. And you can probably do another minor or you can upgrade your existing minor (coz you normally need at least one major and one minor) to a major, making it double major. In saying that you will have less chance of needing to overload, go to summer school or stay back.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can't do a Minor in Arts because a Minor requires you to be in the Arts degree. Whatever you do, because you're not enrolled in Arts - it won't show up at all on your degree transcript other than that you did four or five courses of whatever you want to "minor" in.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
You can't do a Minor in Arts because a Minor requires you to be in the Arts degree. Whatever you do, because you're not enrolled in Arts - it won't show up at all on your degree transcript other than that you did four or five courses of whatever you want to "minor" in.
ah damn it, so do employers analyse the transcript or are all commerce degrees viewed in the same light?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't know. They might look at your marks and the subjects you took - so they'd probably see your electives.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Ah I see, so it would not be wise to have subjects that do not contribute to a major or a minor...
thank you for your feedback

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can do it, just know that it won't be really described on your transcript - though to be honest, I'm not sure if your minor is recorded on your transcript or degree thing explicitly.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Alright, I'll just stick to my main courses for the time being.

I was also told that there are "participation points" for interacting with your class with tutorials, is this true?

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
thx m8. It looks like I'll have to put my hand up and answer questions ffs.
Another thing I've been wandering about is the ability to pack courses into the timetable. Most people doing commerce have 12 hrs a week including myself and to me that seems a bit minimal. Is there a limit on how many courses I can do or not do and will that affect how long it takes to finish the degree? e.g. Cramming in courses and finishing the degree in 2 years?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
On your handbook, there's a "max UoC per semester". Mine is 27. Any higher and you have to apply for overload.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Okay, so there - you can't "fast track" your degree unless you apply for overloading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)