A few questions before school starts... (1 Viewer)

fakermaker

HSC
Hey, looking for some help with a few things:

1) O week starts soon, but I'm unsure when class actually starts. Do I find this out when the timetables are released?

2) I understand that the timetabling system is randomized. But how does it specifically work? Will the best classes be given to students who apply for their timetables earlier than those who wait?

3) Ive been told that I should wait until class starts before buying books. But, just wondering, how do I find the books required before the first lecture? Looking at a subject on the myuni section of Sydney's website, I see this: http://i.imgur.com/JN2BQ.png. Granted some are electronically available, will I need all of these texts for the class (even if some are just recommended. ie: are all texts prescribed for the course)?

Thanks for any help.

izzy88

HSC
Hey, looking for some help with a few things:

1) O week starts soon, but I'm unsure when class actually starts. Do I find this out when the timetables are released?
Week 1 starts 5 March. Tutorials generally don't run in the first week, but lectures do. Officially timetables are released around beginning of o-week. From past experience they tend to come out the week before (eg. 20th Feb).

2) I understand that the timetabling system is randomized. But how does it specifically work? Will the best classes be given to students who apply for their timetables earlier than those who wait?
The timetable allocates you to class. The 'best' classes aren't given to students who apply early if only in the sense that the computer doesn't understand that there are 'best' or 'worst' classes to be in. It just schedules you in. Also, 'best' classes will depend on what else you are studying - it is unlikely for example in arts, that people will all necessarily want to be in the same particular tutorials because they will just want to try to schedule them for when they are on campus (taking into account all their other classes).

However one thing I have found is that there is generally more opportunity to switch classes around online the earlier you check the timetable - ie. before everyone else starts to switch and classes get full. However you can always try to go in person during o-week/week 1 to get your timetable manually changed if you can show good reasons.

The other element to timetabling is that generally there are only one set of lectures per subject (in arts anyway), so the only choice you will get will be for tutorials. Lectures are set - you can't change them if no others are running!

3) Ive been told that I should wait until class starts before buying books. But, just wondering, how do I find the books required before the first lecture? Looking at a subject on the myuni section of Sydney's website, I see this: http://i.imgur.com/JN2BQ.png. Granted some are electronically available, will I need all of these texts for the class (even if some are just recommended. ie: are all texts prescribed for the course)?
That list you link to are not required! The lectures just put those lists together for help for assignments - you don't need all of them. I wouldn't go off that list.

Co-op websites tend to list the textbooks for subjects under 'text search'. However I have found that i've rocked up to lectures and the lecturer has stated that one of those textbooks aren't really necessary. It just depends if you have money to spend... On co-op prescribed is the required ones, recommended are just that. Required ones will generally have readings set for each week - recommended are just if you need extra help or perhaps for assignments. I wouldn't buy recommended ones until you've been to class and if you need extra help/have money. They will all be at the library anyway, and if you bought every required and recommended textbook you would be spending upwards of $1,000 a year (obviously depends on subjects). (I spend about $500 on required texts a semester - I'm not going to spend another couple hundred on recommended - its difficult enough to keep on top of required readings without getting the extra stuff!).

Hope that helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)