A few more questions about subject choices *URGENT* (1 Viewer)

Hatake88

HSC
Hey guys,
I got a couple of questions in regards to the Late Round offers (and yes, I have already read the FAQ). First of all, I got 87.25 as my atar and I recieved the offer of Applied Finance/Commerce at MarcQ which I accepted. People say its a solid course and I agree. However, my aim is to maximise the chance of my employment after graduation (I come from a poor family) and to one day take on a role of management in the company I'm going to work for. In regards to preferences, I have none. It does not matter if I do commerce or economics or major in marketing, human resource or accounting etc. It all sounds fine by me and, as shown by my HSC results (43/45 for both 3u maths and eng; got 89 in three subjects etc), I do not have a particular strong point in terms of ability either.

Now, I see that there are no vacancies for economics or commerce at usyd or unsw. So I figured out I have the following choices:

(a) Keep to my original offer. Transition to USyd/UNSW in a year.

(b) Apply for arts at Usyd/UNSW. Transition to commerce in half a year.

(c) Apply for Business at UTS (city campus). I got told Business at UTS was basically commerce but under a different name. I don't know if this would be a better choice but there are vacancies so I might get in (plus the cutoff mark is higher than MacQ so I assume its a better course?). UTS will be easier to get to either way (being in the city and all) so I might do better simply based on the premise that I am less likely to skip lectures :eek:

Which will be the better option (and do suggest any other options you can think of)? Which one, a or b, would be easier to terms of transition? Of course, commerce will still be at the top of my preference list but I doubt I will be getting any offers.

Thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Why don't you switch preferences now and hope that you get into Arts at UNSW/Sydney in the Late Round - and then transfer to Commerce after a year's time.

If not, I guess you'll have to keep your original offer and then get really good marks and external transfer, which is more of a hassle.

John555

HSC
Lets examine your options. You could go to MQ or UTS, get good grades for the first year and apply for a transfer to USyd/UNSW. Since most first year business/commerce subjects are basically the same across different universities, you will most likely be able get credit for your previous studies and not have to redo subjects at USyd/UNSW. If your transfer is unsucessful, then you would just finish your course at MQ or UTS.

You could also do Arts, but you will most likely have to start all over again when you get into Comm/Econ. No big deal. BUT you must also consider the possibility that if you're unsuccessful at transferring to USyd/UNSW, you would be stuck doing Arts.

So I personally think your best option would be to accept the offer at MQ or UTS and apply for a transfer at the end of the year. Work hard and good luck!

dizzlemizzle

HSC
I say take UTS business. Macquarie's exams are known to be more rigorous than UTS or even UNSW, thus less likely to achieve higher marks. Also, like you said location is a big factor which could affect marks as well.

Hatake88

HSC
I've readjusted my preferences so its:

1. Commerce at Usyd (not going to get in)
2. Commerce at UNSW (yeah...no)
3. International Studies at UNSW (lololol)
4. Business at UTS (might get in since there were vacancies at the cut-off mark of 90)
5. Project Management at Usyd (88...still vacancies)
6. Arts at Usyd
7. Arts at UNSW

Didn't bother putting 8 or 9 cos I really don't know what else I wanted to do :p

Which one am I most likely to get in and is my list any good?

Dr.Dan

HSC
You seem to lack direction.

Macq/UTS are excellent for Business.

No one expects to know their major in the first semester let alone before starting the damn course, thats why introductory subjects expose you to such a vast array of business fields e.g. marketing/management/accounting/finance.

I don't even understand why you would opt for an Arts degree in place of a business degree. <--Logic, there is none.

Hatake88

HSC
So I can transfer to commerce second year in usyd?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)