a CV or resume (1 Viewer)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
omg i cant believe i havent done one yet?

do u just write ur job history or qualifications
what about refs

or like awards from high school - ive seen people pu hs stuff like high distictions- but i dont have any of that stuff. what do i put

is it all on one paper or wat? can u have an entire folder on ur resume?

get back to me please, i may not need it but .. :rolleyes: ...

theone123

blue essence
HSC
haha, lolz, hey my friend who is like 2nd yr uni, havent done one yet!

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
OK if you know absolutely nothing and didn't attend one careers class in High School (what kind of High School doesn't have compulsory career classes these days?) do the following.

Go to htttp://www.google.com and search. It might seem harsh but there are thousands of sites out there to show you how to write a CV and a resume, how to do cover letters etc.

Secondly if you have MS Word start it up and go File->New and select the templates, select the Other tab and run all of the Resume/CV Wizards. Don't go handing that one in it's just so you get an idea of what they look like.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Generally the format most use is:
Personal Info
Work Experience
Education
References

People sometimes switch Work Experience and Education around.

jayz

walking
iambored said:
the ones that you hand out should not really be more than 1 or 2 pages

if you want to bring one to an interview with actual certificates that can be a folder

http://www.jobsearch.com.au/tool_resume.php?content=tool_resume
yep, the shorter the better, but it has to be relevant to the positon you r applying for.

keep it to simple but formal language, straight forward message with an easy to follow format, coz employers hate reading long essays which happened to be my first curriculum vitae

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
If you're going to go through a job agency to help you find a job, give them your full resume no matter how long it is.
But change your resume to only include relevent experience when applying for a specific job.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Do NOT EVER go over a page. Do as much as you want, but not over a page. They'll be skimming mostly.

Here are some example headings you could use:

(Make sure you put your contacts, date of birth, and address)

Education: (Uni, your majors, and Highschool)
Experience: (Your job experiences, and work backwards from currently to the past)
Awards: (degrees, certificates etc)
Extra Curricular: (if appropriate to the the job position, things like peer support, leadership and stuff are great.
Interests: (add something to do with the job first, like customer service/computers and then your real interests, preferable something that says something about you like for example it shows you have social skills)
References: The person's name, their position and a contact number. If possibly, depending on the job, have a portfolio to store the certificates and your reference letters.

Hope that helps! Or you could use those jobsearch/careerone stuff

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
^ it is ok to go over a page...generally up until our age you only really need a page, but its ok to do 2 if you need it, and then as you get older and do more training and have more jobs, then the resume expands along with it (I've seen one of my lecturers "abbreviated cv's", its several pages long, lol, so the real thing would be even longer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
lol, don't worry, yr 9 computers I was taught never to go over a page, only recently have I discovered it is indeed ok.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Your resume should be at 3 pages MAX...
Never, as someone said b4, never write a fricken essay...
Anything you wanna state in ur actual resume, write them out in bullet points...
You should generally have 1 page for ur cover letter and 2 pagez where u state ur skills, past employment and referees etc...

Narelle

HSC
ooo damn i handed my resume in today (first time ever)

but now i keep thinking about it... i want it bak now to change heaps of things... too late

but i guess its good that i handed it in already or i never will, it took me bloody ages to write from scratch

mine was 3 pages but really spaced...

oooh i keep thinking i added too many unimportant details... however provided that they read it all, its a really good resume

i'll tell u guys if i was sucessful *fingers crossed i am*

PS. I cant believe the sum of my life achievements are summed up in 3 pages... this is so wrong

Narelle

HSC
Dash said:
Your resume should be at 3 pages MAX...
Never, as someone said b4, never write a fricken essay...
Anything you wanna state in ur actual resume, write them out in bullet points...
You should generally have 1 page for ur cover letter and 2 pagez where u state ur skills, past employment and referees etc...

oh yeah i had bullet points, heaps of them cause i did soo many extra curricula stuff ect.... but definately no essay

and very spaced out

i had no cover letter.... but i had a brief paragraph in the beginning of my 3 pages and i included my 1 page school reference at the back

i really wanna a job... and the one i applied for cause its the best one i found so far

maybe no one else applied so i can make an interview by default... lol

peteski01

Enlarged Member
HSC
N/A
name
summary of qualifications
previous work experience, with elaboration
education
hobbies & interests
charity & volunteer work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)