a confusing question (1 Viewer)

allstarr69

hey ppl i got this question wrong in my trial and i dont know why. Doesn anyone know the right answer and why?

A satellite is in a stable circular orbit at an altitude of 1000 km above the earths surface. When considering the velocity and acceleration of the satellite as it orbits, which of the following would be most correct?
a) the acceleration remains constant but only the magnitude of the velocity does not change
b) Both the acceleration and velocity remain constant throughout the orbit
c) Only the magnitude of the acceleration and velocity remain constant
d) the magnitude of both the velocity and acceleration change continously

Last edited by a moderator:

helper

HSC
N/A
C, the direction of both is constantly changing.

sonnnyzm

THe answer is a)
objects in uniform circular motion always have a constant aceleration towards the centre, the 'speed'(around the orbit) is uniform, but the direction changes, this means that the Velocity will be the same in magnitude but will have a changing vector(direction)

tempco

HSC
sonnnyzm said:
THe answer is a)
objects in uniform circular motion always have a constant aceleration towards the centre
Since the acceleration is always towards the centre, its direction changes as the object orbits its centre of motion.

helper

HSC
N/A
Sonny, towards the centre yes but towards the centre is not the same direction. This is a constantly changing direction.

helper

HSC
N/A
For acceleration or velocity to remain constant you need to look at the magnitude and direction as they are vectors.
This is the difference between a and c. A doesn't take into account the changing direction of a

allstarr69

aaah ok
so magnitude is same for velocity and acceleration but direction constantly changes for both

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
could sum1 see this ques ...

HSC 2003 Q 16 b) ... thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)