A collection of HSC Advice: What *not* to do (1 Viewer)

Mr_Kap

HSC
After Trials it is especially important to share resources, a strong performing cohort in externals can boost your internals up whereas a poorly performing cohort in externals can bring down your internally moderated marks heaps.

Pretty much, after Trials it is your cohort against the state!

Not for people rank 1, that's why all the rank 1 people didn't share their resources.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
In maths (especially 4U), since it scales so well, you don't need a great raw mark to get an E4, and these raw marks actually are attainable by mostly rote learning, which for maths basically means doing tons of past papers so that you've pretty much 'memorised' how to do certain Q's, since a lot of Q's are repetitive (e.g. financial Q's in 2U, or certain conics stuff in 4U). You probably won't get an outstanding mark in 4U by rote learning alone, but you can get at least a raw mark of 65-70 since most Q's in the exam are quite standard now, and this aligns to E4. (Obviously a raw mark like this in most other subjects, like the sciences or English, would not result in E4.)
It aligns to a high E3, if the HSC exam like 2014 was, is easy.

Mr_Kap

HSC
rote learning does not work in Mathematics, maybe except general. It works well for Chemistry, yes, but not as well for Physics.
works in 2u math. You rote learn the "METHOD" for solving problems. Q11-14 is pretty much boring old crap over and over again. Even q15 with the finance questions can be rote learnt.
But yes, it is encouraged you understand the maths, especially if you want a band 6

keepLooking

HSC
Q11-14 is pretty much boring old crap over and over again. Even q15 with the finance questions can be rote learnt.
You can even ROTE q16's. I did it with this year's q16c. (Syd Grammar had a similar question too) That was just pure luck I guess :)

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Not for people rank 1, that's why all the rank 1 people didn't share their resources.
Speaking as someone with quite a number of rank 1s, you'd have to be a fool not to help out your cohort after trials. Partly just for the glory of the school, but also because if you're helping out the people below you and one of them guns externals, you get their external mark internally. So unless you go to a shit school where you're ahead of everyone else by a country mile, you should help out your cohort as rank 1.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't forgot to hand in practice questions throughout the year to teachers.

It really helps with learning how to answer the questions.

Mr_Kap

HSC
No you'd be pretty stupid not to share your resources if you were rank 1, if you have a bad day on the HSC exam they can save half your marks.
tell that to rank 1 in Chem, bio.

Didn't share shit. Though she was confident she was gonna go well that's why,

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
tell that to rank 1 in Chem, bio.

Didn't share shit. Though she was confident she was gonna go well that's why,
But it wouldn't disadvantage her to help the cohort, and would help her have more of a safety net if she screwed up externally (plus it's good to help out your friends).

mkristie

HSC
seems like common sense, but if you have a major work DON'T LEAVE IT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. It's so easy to fall into the trap of "oh, I still have ages" and to prioritise other tasks (like upcoming exams or assessments). But please, work consistently on them and get feedback/as much help from your teachers as you can.

calamebe

HSC
rote learning does not work in Mathematics, maybe except general. It works well for Chemistry, yes, but not as well for Physics.
Haha was just being sarcastic, for any subject I care about I make sure I thoroughly understand everything I need to, not just remember certain things.

HecticLad

HSC
seems like common sense, but if you have a major work DON'T LEAVE IT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. It's so easy to fall into the trap of "oh, I still have ages" and to prioritise other tasks (like upcoming exams or assessments). But please, work consistently on them and get feedback/as much help from your teachers as you can.
lmao didnt end up finishing my D&T major work because I left it to the last minute, although it was quite complex so they'd probably account for that when marking

Traxoom73

HSC
Uni Grad
What? Of course you can rote learn Maths and 3U. Ever figure out why people do so many past paper questions over and over again? So that they can memorise the procedures involved in doing the f**king questions because the HSC recycles the same trash every single year. Most people don't even understand the concepts and just memorise how to do the questions because the style of the questions DOESN'T CHANGE. And yes, it is possible to rote learn the sciences to a band 6, the HSC is a mostly just a memorising game.

4U on the other hand..

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Prioritise your health over everything. Even though HSC year does 'pass by quickly', if you're tired or stressed. TAKE A BREAK. Trying to force yourself to study while stressed is actually counter-productive and unless you're studying a few day before the test YOU HAVE TIME.

on that note, also take time to enjoy it with your cohort. SERIOUSLY. Its the last time you see them and memories> HSC (unless 99 atar then obviously HSC > memories... just kidding)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
What? Of course you can rote learn Maths and 3U. Ever figure out why people do so many past paper questions over and over again? Most people don't even understand the concepts and just memorise how to do the questions because the style of the questions DOESN'T CHANGE. And yes, it is possible to rote learn the sciences to a band 6, the HSC is a mostly just a memorising game.

4U on the other hand..
rote learning is different to practising questions over and over again.
Yes, I would agree it is possible to rote learn the content in science, except it is less likely in Physics*, to get a band 6; the HSC doesn't just test your memorising skills, it also tests your organisation.

*With Physics, Maths 2U and Ext 1; some understanding of concepts is needed; while with Ext 2, almost complete understanding of Maths and Ext Maths concepts + Ext 2 concepts.

Last edited:

spatula232

HSC
Don't simply blame your teacher if you think they aren't good because in the end it comes don't to you and the effort you put in to succeed

atargainz

HSC
Consistency is key. Always aim to be fully understanding what you've learnt in class, do extra work at home so that you won't be trying to cram actual content couple days before exams. A mistake most of us are undergoing right now. This is especially important for high content based subjects such as economic where they can ask you a trillion different things and if you weren't consistent with knowing your content, it's gonna suck.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Trust me when I say this: when your teachers tell you that you must spend as much study on all 12 units, it's not necessary. Do NOT listen to such bogus; you obviously have areas of strength and weaknesses to which you must consistently improve upon. Invariably, it will depend for each individual, so don't focalise your study on how much time, focalise on tasks that you can manage. Indeed, whilst you may be good in your maths and science, you might be average at English. But it doesn't mean you have to invest heaps of effort into English, you just got to study smart. Teachers tell you to practice 40-min response every week? Practice intros + topic sentences every now and then as this is more efficient and less time consuming. Teachers tell you to just know quotes/techniques and 'understand' your texts? Memorise super generic essays tailored to the rubric and adapt accordingly - BOSTES cannot ask anything outside the rubric, so long as you understand the requirements for each module, you can't go wrong in moulding to the question.

In reality, the HSC is a game of how well you can memorise seemingly useless bullshit and be able to translate what you know onto paper in coherent answers. Meaning, if you're not as naturally talented, your work ethic will be the ultimate decider. Exploit the system, and you will reap the rewards. Good luck kiddos.
To emphasise this point, if you know you can't understand concepts or you do but it takes time (the thing you dont have in exams) ROTE LEARN IT. Seriously; sciences, maths, english - you can rote learn to an extent. E.g. Not good at discovery essays? Write 5 generic essays and practice adapting them to questions. You will have people who can just enter the exam hall with quotes, understand of formulas, etc. and just demolish the exam. If you aren't that person, DO YOUR BEST TO MEMORISE EVERYTHING TO THE MOST MINUTE DETAIL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)