99+ atar at a low ranked school? (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
I went to a 400+ school and rarely anyone gets above 95+
This year we had 3 people get 90+ which was pretty good.

To get 99+ at a low ranked school is very achievable however you will needs loads of self-motivation as most students will not be motivated to study.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
I went to a 400+ school and rarely anyone gets above 95+
This year we had 3 people get 90+ which was pretty good.

To get 99+ at a low ranked school is very achievable however you will needs loads of self-motivation as most students will not be motivated to study.
Just come first, you will be immune to modulation

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

mollytee

HSC
Thanks everyone :) I was just wondering, what counts as your overall HSC mark? Like does the first term of year 12 count or is it just the final exams?

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Thanks everyone :) I was just wondering, what counts as your overall HSC mark? Like does the first term of year 12 count or is it just the final exams?
all 3 terms of hsc (so this year's term 4 up until trials) = your assessment mark or internal mark a.k.a your yearly mark on next year's report card

your hsc exam = your exam or external mark

now both of these marks get aligned/moderated by bos bc reasons, then those are averaged and voila - you have your hsc mark

hsc marks are what go to your atar but uac also scales those marks accordingly

mollytee

HSC
all 3 terms of hsc (so this year's term 4 up until trials) = your assessment mark or internal mark a.k.a your yearly mark on next year's report card

your hsc exam = your exam or external mark

now both of these marks get aligned/moderated by bos bc reasons, then those are averaged and voila - you have your hsc mark

hsc marks are what go to your atar but uac also scales those marks accordingly

Isn't there 4 terms of HSC? I'm so sorry but I had such a hard time understanding everything that you explained. I'm pretty new to all these terms lol

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Isn't there 4 terms of HSC? I'm so sorry but I had such a hard time understanding everything that you explained. I'm pretty new to all these terms lol
jk i'm stupid I meant 4 terms lol, got mixed up. Y11 is 3 terms

your assessment/internal mark is the mark that goes on your end of year report card, yeah?

your exam/external mark is just the mark that you get when you sit the actual hsc exam

both of these marks may be slightly altered for many reasons, which include:
- you did significantly better or worse in one or the other (so if your internal mark is 90 but in the exam/external you get 60 then they will lower your internal mark to like 80 lol or around that, no one really knows to what extent (but for example I saw my internal mark for Modern History on my report card and it was 89. nek minnet I get my results and I screwed the exam and got around 70 which is my fault, but then they bring my internal mark of 89 that I earned to 77 and whilst it isn't fair in some cases, it weeds out kids that got marked too easily in school and so there is no use complaining about it.)
- the difficulty of the subject (getting an 80 in physics is more important than getting an 80 in retail services)
- results of your year group (this to me is the one thing I think is actually fucked up, but yeah if you're not ranked 1st in your class then your hsc results could be positively or negatively affected by their marks)
- results of the state (so if everyone performed poorly in say the pdhpe exam they might boost everyone's marks a little bit to compensate, because it was a particularly hard exam that year. and vice versa - if the exam was way easy and everyone smashed it, they might slightly reduce everyone's marks)
- I'm sure there are a few more but that's the gist of it

These alterations of marks can be known as aligning, moderating and scaling. All 3 are slightly different but for the sake of your newbieness (I mean that in a nice way I promise haha) they are all the same thing for now. When you get to year 12 then worry about the tiny details.

After these alterations, BOSTES (the board of studies) takes your final altered internal and external mark and just averages them and this is your final hsc mark :) so for that stupid modern history haha my final exam was 72 and my final internal was 77 so my official final hsc mark was 75.

AND THENNNN omg lol and then UAC (the body that deals with uni applications) takes those final marks and does a bit of altering (for some of the reasons that I listed above above) and does some more math and BAM you have your ATAR

swagmeister

HSC
if it helps, my school rank is pretty much the same as yours (I think it may be like 180ish)

and I found out today I got 99.65

so yes it is definitely possible

greatness won't be spoon fed to you though, so you will definitely have to actively pursue learning yourself

mollytee

HSC
jk i'm stupid I meant 4 terms lol, got mixed up. Y11 is 3 terms

your assessment/internal mark is the mark that goes on your end of year report card, yeah?

your exam/external mark is just the mark that you get when you sit the actual hsc exam

both of these marks may be slightly altered for many reasons, which include:
- you did significantly better or worse in one or the other (so if your internal mark is 90 but in the exam/external you get 60 then they will lower your internal mark to like 80 lol or around that, no one really knows to what extent (but for example I saw my internal mark for Modern History on my report card and it was 89. nek minnet I get my results and I screwed the exam and got around 70 which is my fault, but then they bring my internal mark of 89 that I earned to 77 and whilst it isn't fair in some cases, it weeds out kids that got marked too easily in school and so there is no use complaining about it.)
- the difficulty of the subject (getting an 80 in physics is more important than getting an 80 in retail services)
- results of your year group (this to me is the one thing I think is actually fucked up, but yeah if you're not ranked 1st in your class then your hsc results could be positively or negatively affected by their marks)
- results of the state (so if everyone performed poorly in say the pdhpe exam they might boost everyone's marks a little bit to compensate, because it was a particularly hard exam that year. and vice versa - if the exam was way easy and everyone smashed it, they might slightly reduce everyone's marks)
- I'm sure there are a few more but that's the gist of it

These alterations of marks can be known as aligning, moderating and scaling. All 3 are slightly different but for the sake of your newbieness (I mean that in a nice way I promise haha) they are all the same thing for now. When you get to year 12 then worry about the tiny details.

After these alterations, BOSTES (the board of studies) takes your final altered internal and external mark and just averages them and this is your final hsc mark :) so for that stupid modern history haha my final exam was 72 and my final internal was 77 so my official final hsc mark was 75.

AND THENNNN omg lol and then UAC (the body that deals with uni applications) takes those final marks and does a bit of altering (for some of the reasons that I listed above above) and does some more math and BAM you have your ATAR
Omg you're so sweet. Thankyou so much, that helped heaps. Im sorry about modern history!! 75 is still pretty good though, don't stress :) Hopefully everything turned out well for you.

mollytee

HSC
if it helps, my school rank is pretty much the same as yours (I think it may be like 180ish)

and I found out today I got 99.65

so yes it is definitely possible

greatness won't be spoon fed to you though, so you will definitely have to actively pursue learning yourself

Congratulations! That's amazing.

I'll keep that in mind :)

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Omg you're so sweet. Thankyou so much, that helped heaps. Im sorry about modern history!! 75 is still pretty good though, don't stress :) Hopefully everything turned out well for you.
Happy to help :)

And yeah I had early entry anyways so I'm just whinging for my pride's sake lol, my ATAR was higher than my course cut off by far

But I know in a few weeks I will care 0% about my marks and atar so I'm just shaking it off haha

mollytee

HSC
Happy to help :)

And yeah I had early entry anyways so I'm just whinging for my pride's sake lol, my ATAR was higher than my course cut off by far

But I know in a few weeks I will care 0% about my marks and atar so I'm just shaking it off haha
Good on you! Hahah yeah true I feel like that's the case with everyone. They're over it within a few weeks.

Feeling like shit now cause my schools rank happened to drop like 50 ranks this time around. Like how does that even happen

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Good on you! Hahah yeah true I feel like that's the case with everyone. They're over it within a few weeks.

Feeling like shit now cause my schools rank happened to drop like 50 ranks this time around. Like how does that even happen
My school's rank is like in the 540s lol

Kolmias

HSC
Even when my school was ranked in the 500s (where it was for about 4 years in the mid-2000s) we usually had someone over 98 and even over 99.
LOL. My school usually ranks 250 or something and usually the dux only gets an ATAR of 97 or 98.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)