• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

99+ ~ aggregate? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Is the aggregate mark and the equivalent uai proportional in a linear fashion?
or does it reach some sort of asymptote somewhere near 99.4 ?

D

d00d

thats what i was thinking myself.

i think theres some sort of asymptote for the aggregate coz even for maths ext2 if ur placed in the top percentile u get a scaled mark of 49/50 so so getting an aggregate above 480 would be impossible.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's not asymptotic and it's not linear. The aggregates (usually) have a normal distribution with (approximately) a mean of 250 and a st dev of 50.

Affinity

HSC
normal distribution: mean + 2 sigma is approximately more than 97.5 hmmm will that make 350 -> ~ 97 UAI :p

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mmm I have wondered about that myself. :p

Though it's straight from Andrew Stanton (Director of UAC) - "The old Tertiary Entrance Scores (TES), or aggregates, were normally distributed, with a mean of 250 and a standard deviation of 50."

And the calculation of the aggregates hasn't changed... I can't see any reason for a change in distribution shapes... I don't think the ability of the cohort would have really changed -that- much... hrmmmm. I'll have to get back to you.

rhapsody_75

hmm so there is another whole language out there that arts students dont have access to haha

um. for a tangent...
because im sick of people who are already through trying to persuade me that im going to get many many more marks than im expecting...
what would i need for 91

starting to have serious motivation failures...bad timing huh...hoping this will kick me back into action lol

Affinity

HSC
talk about language.. I understand about 5% of the relevant sections of the english syllabus.

91.. is like a.. average 85 raw mark on good scaling subjects?

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
hey just wondering does the uai process involve a bell curve...i think i have heard this sumwhere...just curious...
thanx

T

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

yay!!!..so does that mean that more than a certain percentage of ppl can achieve......say 99 uai as long as they achieve the aggregate for it..
for example last yr there was 22 ppl with uai 100
does that mean that only 22 ppl got the aggregate for 100 or were they the only ones that were able to get it becuase of restrcitions..
say this yr 50 ppl get 100..does that mean 50 ppl will get that uai??
i hope i make sense

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Erhm... the UAI is a rank. So, no, not really. :)

Think of it like this. All students are ranked by their scaled aggregate. The top 0.025% get a UAI of 100... the next 0.05% get 99.95... the next 0.05% get 99.90, and so on. That's not exactly how it works, because the Yr 10 cohort has to be taken into account, but the concept is similar.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
what about people who repeat and those who skip a grade into our yr? do they count as our yr10 cohort or a cohort of their own?
so could that mean that a group of smart ass uni prof. with PhDs in everything can do yr12 and take away our precious 100uai?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
They'd be considered part of your HSC cohort, yes.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
what about getting a UAI of 70? what would my aggregate need to be..??

Also, taking year 10 into your makrs - isn't that only with our HSC marks? The UAI ranks only take in thoes who apply?

...I hope it is the other way, but thats how I thought it worked - you can get a decent HSC mark but bum out on your UAI because HSC is everying (yr 10 inc.) while the UAI is only thoes who apply...

Cheers

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by White Rabbit
Also, taking year 10 into your makrs - isn't that only with our HSC marks? The UAI ranks only take in thoes who apply?

...I hope it is the other way, but thats how I thought it worked - you can get a decent HSC mark but bum out on your UAI because HSC is everying (yr 10 inc.) while the UAI is only thoes who apply...

Cheers
Why would taking yr10 ppl into account affect your HSC marks?

The canditure of the Year 10 cohort that sat the SC exams in 2001 is what your UAI is based upon - your rank out of the 80-90,000 ppl in yr10 in 2001.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
what about getting a UAI of 70? what would my aggregate need to be..??
Somewhere around 280.

The Year 10 cohort doesn't come into play until the final stage, when aggregates are converted to UAIs. As Minai said, they do not affect any of your individual marks in any way.

The UAC's technical report on the UAI explains much on this topic - it's here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)