90 Atar at a low ranked school? (1 Viewer)

jarrodoliver1

HSC
If i was to rank say first in every subject, i would not be affected by my cohort, as i would pull them up myself? The marks would be based solely on myself. Currently 1st in SDD/IPT/IT and 3rd in Chem/Math/Adv English. The two people beating me in Chem/Math/Adv English are geniuses and have pulled like 96% in all assessments last year, which is what i was getting in SDD/IPT/IT.

I was aiming for Comp engineering/Comp Sci @ Newcastle uni, but now going for a bachelor of engineering (Computing)/Bachelor of Science (Hopefully major in Comp Sci,) so, basically, i'm upgrading schools ;)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Yeah its extremely possible

How are your assessments for your subjects like?

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
IT, SDD and IPT? I would be worried about the scaling of these subjects =\ your other 3 scale well fine though.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I go to a school that is in the 100's, and a lot of people have received 90 plus this year. We used to be in the 300's.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
So far, 100% in Software, 95% in IPT, 80% Adv Eng, 76% Mathetmatics :S 88% Chem.
Ok. I would presume the difficulty is not too crazy. You gotta remember it is ultimately how you go in the hsc, stay rank 1 in your pet subjects, and study hard to beat your 2nd ranks consistently in assessments (to increase the relative gap), this avoid your cohort from affecting your assessment mark in the hsc. In other words work hard on assessments, if you come 2nd/3rd, always stay focused and do not get psyched out.

I got screwed over in ext 1 maths, was second rank and I got 91 exam right but my assessment was 87 so then I missed on a band 6. Asked about it on here, turns out my cohort f**ked me over. Don't want the same to happen to you

Capo

HSC
Ok. I would presume the difficulty is not too crazy. You gotta remember it is ultimately how you go in the hsc, stay rank 1 in your pet subjects, and study hard to beat your 2nd ranks consistently in assessments (to increase the relative gap), this avoid your cohort from affecting your assessment mark in the hsc. In other words work hard on assessments, if you come 2nd/3rd, always stay focused and do not get psyched out.

I got screwed over in ext 1 maths, was second rank and I got 91 exam right but my assessment was 87 so then I missed on a band 6. Asked about it on here, turns out my cohort f**ked me over. Don't want the same to happen to you
How low does it take for one's cohorts to f*ck one over ? (assuming that the person that got f*cked over did average- above average compared to other ppl in the grade)

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
90+ ATAR is not that hard to get in even the 500s-I'd guess the dux at least would get 90+ each year, I know some of the 600 schools dux isn't over 90 every year, but still it's not too much a bearing.

Get 1st in sub and get your internal mark match your external or alternatively, get your exam mark but someone's better exam mark as your internal and averaged. Or be very close to 1st, case in point of a scenario I know of, where someone ranked 3rd bested the two top(ranked closely to them).
Rank 1 got exam 76 assessment 90 =HSC mark 83
Rank 2 got exam 78 assessment 89 =HSC mark 84
Rank 3 got exam 90 assessment 88 =HSC mark 89

But internal rankings are important-I know of painful cases where people have had their exam mark by 11 higher than assessment due to having a low rank during the year.

But really it's not your cohort screwing you over-at a rank 500 school you should find it easier to outrank and perform them anyway-if all assessments are fair and such. But I guess the saddest thing with this is even if someone performs well all year at a rank 500s school but underperforms in the HSC exam there's normally noone's assessment mark to help out.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
90+ ATAR is not that hard to get in even the 500s-I'd guess the dux at least would get 90+ each year, I know some of the 600 schools dux isn't over 90 every year, but still it's not too much a bearing.

Get 1st in sub and get your internal mark match your external or alternatively, get your exam mark but someone's better exam mark as your internal and averaged. Or be very close to 1st, case in point of a scenario I know of, where someone ranked 3rd bested the two top(ranked closely to them).
Rank 1 got exam 76 assessment 90 =HSC mark 83
Rank 2 got exam 78 assessment 89 =HSC mark 84
Rank 3 got exam 90 assessment 88 =HSC mark 89

But internal rankings are important-I know of painful cases where people have had their exam mark by 11 higher than assessment due to having a low rank during the year.

But really it's not your cohort screwing you over-at a rank 500 school you should find it easier to outrank and perform them anyway-if all assessments are fair and such. But I guess the saddest thing with this is even if someone performs well all year at a rank 500s school but underperforms in the HSC exam there's normally noone's assessment mark to help out.
Thankyou so much guys. It sucks that i didn't apply for a selective school in year 7... Will give it my best, and aim for that 90 :)

Thankyou everyone!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thankyou so much guys. It sucks that i didn't apply for a selective school in year 7... Will give it my best, and aim for that 90 :)

Thankyou everyone!
I wouldn't worry too much-the biggest factor to a student's success is the student themselves.

I lived rurally where there's no opportunity for selectives, and people still can achieve really great results as it's on the person themselves, as long as they don't try and make excuses and do the work they are sweet.

smalik

HSC
I went to a 600s school and got an atar of 91.25, anything is possible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)