$800 Cpu (1 Viewer)

Shaded_BlaQ

HSC
Hey everyone, im not very computer literate so i was wondering if u'z mite help me out. Someone is offering me a "motherboard, 1gig or ram, 128meg video card 2.8 - 3.4ghz cpu and fans" for $800. is this worth it? thanx for the help

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Depends on what the video card is exactly. And what the CPU is exactly. More details on other specs would also help.

Shaded_BlaQ

HSC
He tells me the brands r "asus, gigabyte, corsair, seagate" in no particually order im guessing...ill try n get more specs for u

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
ASUS/Gigabyte would be motherboard and/or graphics card.

At least they're giving you decent RAM, not some generic crap.

Shaded_BlaQ

HSC
2.8ghz 800fsb 2m cache L2

fx5200 pro - 128meg

lol im so sorry but i dnt even no if that makes sense...i hav no idea wat all that means.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Hold on, that's dual core isn't it? Intel has no single core 2.8GHz processors with 2MB L2 cache.

Assuming so, the CPU will cost you $400. The video card could perhaps be under $100 (even though it is practically useless for any modern gaming). It sounds like a decent deal (ie can't buy components yourself for the same cost), although it really depends on your requirements.

I just don't understand why computer shops pair powerful CPUs (eg Athlon X2, 64 4000+, Intel Pentium 650, Pentium D 830) with these crappy video cards.

Shaded_BlaQ

HSC
so what parts r good n wat parts r bad, sorry this isnt from a computer store, itz jus a guy that i no..he's a computer freak n totally speaks over my head so i cnt understand him

he tells me that the pakage is worth $1200 -ish but he jus wants to get rid of it cause his got a freak computer already.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Templar said:
Hold on, that's dual core isn't it? Intel has no single core 2.8GHz processors with 2MB L2 cache.

Assuming so, the CPU will cost you $400. The video card could perhaps be under $100 (even though it is practically useless for any modern gaming). It sounds like a decent deal (ie can't buy components yourself for the same cost), although it really depends on your requirements.

I just don't understand why computer shops pair powerful CPUs (eg Athlon X2, 64 4000+, Intel Pentium 650, Pentium D 830) with these crappy video cards.
Because (shock horror) not everyone plays games.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Shaded_BlaQ said:
so what parts r good n wat parts r bad, sorry this isnt from a computer store, itz jus a guy that i no..he's a computer freak n totally speaks over my head so i cnt understand him

he tells me that the pakage is worth $1200 -ish but he jus wants to get rid of it cause his got a freak computer already.
It sounds as though you know nothing about computers, nor the english language for that matter. Anyhow, my suggestion is to ignore his offer and purchase a computer with everything built and installed already, saving you the headache and trouble of asking 'your friend' for help and getting everything right the first time.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Templar said:
Coz some ppl only use office, and the internet ;)
Its like a supercar, only being allowed to drive 110km.hr doesn't stop you from buying one ;)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
The guys (and girls) here can give you good advice but we need exact brand and model names for each of the components. The difference between two letters can mean a few hundred dollars and a variance in quality. :)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Firstly, how big is the hard drive?

2.8ghz 800fsb 2m cache L2

The only processor available with those specs is the dual-core Pentium D 820, like Templar said.

fx5200 pro - 128meg

For this reason alone, the computer is not worth it. If you want to game, you'll only get a year or so out of it before that graphics card is simply too old to handle anything but Starcraft and Red Faction. It's probably better worth your while spending $1500 - $2000 for a computer that'll last you 3-4 years.

However, if you don't want to game, then the computer will be fine for the next few years. 1GB of RAM will nicely future proof it.

I_F

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
a year? are u kidding me? try 6 months... that card is a peice of shit! mine is 256mb and i need to upgrade like...now

not bad processor, and if they are quality fans...hmmm

i wouldnt get it, if i were you i try and talk him down, and get him to take the price down cause u dont want the shitty ass graphics card

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Serius said:
a year? are u kidding me? try 6 months... that card is a peice of shit! mine is 256mb and i need to upgrade like...now
128MB is perfectly fine, nothing wrong with it. VRAM size doesn't matter that much. 6600GT only comes with that much and everyone will agree that it's a great card. In my opinion the card would last maybe a few 'negative' months, it should have definitely been out of action a while back.

I'm currently considering that there is some error in the CPU. I'm not aware of any PCIe card based on the FX5200 GPU, hence the CPU might not be a dual core, as there is no motherboard based on 945 chipset with AGP that I know of.

In addition I would personally refrain from using a Pentium D with stock heatsink and fan. You're practically setting it up to overheat.

Waf, I'm not saying everyone plays games, but in most circumstances the need for a powerful CPU is to play games. And to use the car argument, it's like running a supercar on $50 tyres.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
128MB is perfectly fine, nothing wrong with it. VRAM size doesn't matter that much. 6600GT only comes with that much and everyone will agree that it's a great card. In my opinion the card would last maybe a few 'negative' months, it should have definitely been out of action a while back.

It's not the VRAM size, it's the age of the GPU unit. Plus, the VRAM in the FX 5200 is DDR1, and operated with a 64-bit interface, so it's not much of a comparison to the 6600GT's DDR3 memory and 128-bit interface.

I'm currently considering that there is some error in the CPU. I'm not aware of any PCIe card based on the FX5200 GPU, hence the CPU might not be a dual core, as there is no motherboard based on 945 chipset with AGP that I know of.

If I recall correctly, nVidia sold bridge chips with its FX-series graphics cards so they could be used in PCIe motherboards. Wikipedia's entry on the GeForce FX says that PCI-e FX 5200's exist (under the table on the page).

I_F

Collin

HSC
N/A
If he doesn't want to play games and intends it as a study/business machine, it's fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)