50 lowest aligned mark? (1 Viewer)

Jingo Lingo

HSC
Say I get A raw mark of 20% or something shit in a subject, is 50 the lowest mark I'll get back? Thanks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Jingo Lingo said:
Say I get A raw mark of 20% or something shit in a subject, is 50 the lowest mark I'll get back? Thanks.
Aligned mark always starts from 50 to 100. Hence the lowest mark you can get is 50 even if you get 0 in the exam.

In Mathematics (2 unit), the median aligned mark is therefore 76.

Jingo Lingo

HSC
Thanks heaps. Would you know by any chance what a 20% in Mathamatics would scale to? 56 or something?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Jingo Lingo said:
Thanks heaps. Would you know by any chance what a 20% in Mathamatics would scale to? 56 or something?
I have no idea actually. But I know it for sure that around 64 RAW MARK = 76 ALIGNED.

lionking1191

HSC
i've always wondered. do the marks get moderated before it's combined with your assessment mark or after? it should be before?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You do get your aligned mark if it is less than 50 by the way (My school has had a student get a reported exam mark in the 30s - after aligning).

The aligning is only done to the exam marks.

Moderation of the assessment marks is a separate process and is done after the aligning process gives the range of and total marks for the cohort.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
cem said:
You do get your aligned mark if it is less than 50 by the way (My school has had a student get a reported exam mark in the 30s - after aligning).

The aligning is only done to the exam marks.

Moderation of the assessment marks is a separate process and is done after the aligning process gives the range of and total marks for the cohort.
Wait, you do get aligned mark less tha 50? I don't think so.

I have read the scaling reports and nothing seems to have mark lower than 50...or am I missing something?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
About 1 - 2 % of each course actually end up with marks less than 50 and thus get Band 1.

These are the students who don't reach the minimum standard required e.g. those who don't make the Band 1/2 cut-off and yes they get told their mark along with everyone else.

For Modern History - the subject I mark and have been on the judging panel the raw mark for a Band 1 would be mid-low 20s downwards and other subjects about the same or lower.

Some students get raw marks less than 20 in a subject and get an aligned mark less than 50. Considering that marks like 25 can align to 50 a mark of 24 would align to 48 or so and so on.

I-Love-Jesus

HSC
<table width="66%" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td>Mathematics Extension 1</td><td align="right">11/84</td><td>
</td><td align="right">17/50</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
That was from Ragerunner. He did his HSC in 2003 and applied under the Freedom of Information Act to receive his raw marks. So he got a raw mark of 11/84, which aligned to 17/50, or 34%.
Just one example of a raw mark aligning to something below 50%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)