5.2 (1 Viewer)

HSC
the PROCESSES used to produce transgenic species and include examples of this rpocess and reasons for its use.

im confused...my textbook doesnt clarify what are the processes and theres nothing on hsc online either.

*sarah*

HSC
transgenic species have had a gene from a different species inserted
processes include biolistics
reasons vary - to create better crops, to prolong shelf life etc

HSC
hey thanx..also i was wondering if we have to give detailed descriptions of a specific process or just the process in general...and btw what is the general process?? lol

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
basic process

a DNA is cut using restriction enyzme, fused to plasmid and inserted into host organism

its in my notes a more detailed version if u need more info

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i think the enzyme that causes the DNA to split up and paste is called polymerase...

if u really want to get into detail abt the specific stuff, there's a chapter in bio in context abt it... i read it for no particular reasons, cuz i thought we needed to know more, when all we needed to knwo is that microorganisms got spliced, then the specific DNA inserted, then pasted... =(

cko

HSC
method 1:
grobacterium tumefaciens. in nautre agrobacterium uses its ability to add genes to plants to help it to survive and reproduce. foreign DNA (in a plasmid from the bacterium) is inserted into the cell of a plant which them causes a tumour to grow that produces food for the bacterium. The agrobacterium is manipulated to insert selected genes into broadleafed plants such as tomatoes and soybean. Genetic engineers do this by splicing desired gnes into an agrobacterium's plasmid. The agrobacterium inserts the plasmid into a plant's chromosomal DNA. The targeted plant cell is then coaced into deveoping intoa complete fertile plant that will pass on the engineered DNA to it's offspring.

mthod 2: the gene gun.

the gene gun shoots small gold or t ungsten particles that have been coated with DNA into a aplant cell. Some of these will intro new DNA into a cell and then these plant cells are grown into transgenic plants.

reasons to produce genetically modified species are various. For animals the 4 main reasons are: as disease models for medical research such as the oncomouse; for geneti research; to produce drugs; for organ donation. For plants it can b so plants can be grown that have special characteristics like the ability to produce natural insecticeds

method 3: electroporation:
by applying short electrical pulses to plantcells that have had their cell walls removed, it is poooossible to produce pores in the cell membrane that will allow foreighn DNA to enter the cell. The cells that incoprorate this foreighn DNA into their genome can then be grown into plants.

method 4: microinjection:
suitable for plant and animal cells. DNA is absorbed into liposomes which are hollow fatty molecules. These are then injected intoa cell. Some of the DNA may be incorporated into the cell's genome.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
WOW!!! MG!!! some one does his/her stuff!!!

heyz, cko, may i assume u r in uni now?? how did u go in hsc??

cko

HSC
:uhhuh: muhahaha thank u thank u thank u all my good followers and faithful subjects :lol:

cko

HSC
ok now that ive been especially goot can someone PLEASE give me a goot reply for my "WEORD DOT POINT" thread PLEEAAASSSEEE

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
WOW!!! MG!!! some one does his/her stuff!!!

heyz, cko, may i assume u r in uni now?? how did u go in hsc??
xiao, relax man, cko's notes were straight outa the OTEN book..

cko

HSC
hey man!!

u don't giv away the secrts of a magician do you?? so don't start
:(

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Originally posted by cko
hey man!!

u don't giv away the secrts of a magician do you?? so don't start
:(
haha, well look how much credit they were givin u *points 2 xaio and peppermint stix..

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by queenie
haha, well look how much credit they were givin u *points 2 xaio and peppermint stix..
i don't mind givin pplz credits =D

i mean it doesn't cost me right???

right??

*pause...

in that case, depends... >=)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)