5.1 surround sound question (1 Viewer)

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Hey,

So seeing as the price of a set of 5.1 speakers + a receiever/amp is so low these day i've decided to invest in a set for my room. Just wondering if 5.1 surround sound can be produced from a 2 channel (stereo - the red and white cables on your dvd player, console etc) input.

Thanks

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the speedy replies - much appreciated.

Awesome, I'm mainly concerned about hooking up my 360 to my lcd monitor and thought that the xbox-to-monitor cable only had the VGA output + stereo cables, but I've just noticed that it has toslink-out port as well.

I'll def. get an optical cable thanks! Though I might just go with a cheaper one of ebay (and hopefully save myself some cash).

Do you guys have any info to share about power output?

I was checking out the systems at Strathield the other day and was checking out the speakers output...generally they were around 30-40w with a 100+w subwoofer..

Think they'll be enough to fil my (smallish) room comfortably? Have a powerful stereo downstairs with two speakers rated around 200w each and they play pretty loud with plenty of bass, but I don't plan on needing anything like that for my room. But I do plan to play it loud occasionally...

So how will 30-40w small speakers handle that do you think?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
always.dreaming said:
I'll def. get an optical cable thanks! Though I might just go with a cheaper one of ebay (and hopefully save myself some cash).
The ad was just a reference, dont ever buy anything from DSE, biggest rip-offs!
always.dreaming said:
Do you guys have any info to share about power output?

I was checking out the systems at Strathield the other day and was checking out the speakers output...generally they were around 30-40w with a 100+w subwoofer..

Think they'll be enough to fil my (smallish) room comfortably? Have a powerful stereo downstairs with two speakers rated around 200w each and they play pretty loud with plenty of bass, but I don't plan on needing anything like that for my room. But I do plan to play it loud occasionally...

So how will 30-40w small speakers handle that do you think?
a small room.....and you dont want the full experience of a large room with 40" HDTV and watching blu-rays........it should do very good!

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
wrxsti said:
a small room.....and you dont want the full experience of a large room with 40" HDTV and watching blu-rays........it should do very good!
Unfortunately I don't have the mental will power to save up for anything like that =[

But I did to buy my 22" lcd monitor which is several times less than the cost of a 40" hdtv.

Personally I think 22" is fine for me given the fact that I'm sitting so close to it.

I saw blu-ray in action and went 'meh'. It def. didn't give me the same "wow" effect as when I saw HD tv for the first time. Do you remmember when you first wacthed HD content...i was like "omfg where have you been a all my life"

thanks again wrxsti

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
always.dreaming said:
Unfortunately I don't have the mental will power to save up for anything like that =[

But I did to buy my 22" lcd monitor which is several times less than the cost of a 40" hdtv.

Personally I think 22" is fine for me given the fact that I'm sitting so close to it.

I saw blu-ray in action and went 'meh'. It def. didn't give me the same "wow" effect as when I saw HD tv for the first time. Do you remmember when you first wacthed HD content...i was like "omfg where have you been a all my life"

thanks again wrxsti
no probz, btw wen i first saw hdtv...watching the news i could clearly see the make-up on both the women and men reporters....ive got foxtel now (not the IQ2) so i got shitty picture viewing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)