$4000 grant ?? (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
i would have so gotten that but i started this yr :(

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
apparently, this is a new one-off grant which is given to the dux of any high school who chooses to study at unsw. I don't think there's an interview, and since it's one-off, I don't think you have to maintain a certain average like the Scientia Scholarship (99.90 or over).

In the case of dual elligibility (this and another scholarship, eg. Scientia), you would only get one (the greater amount).

Personally I think it's a little unfair, since a dux in one school could get 95 for example, wheras in another 100, where the student who comes second with say 99.85 gets nothing!

But with this introduced this year and the Scientia introduced last year, UNSW is really on the aggressive, trying to entice the top students away from USYD. (That's why there's no Scientia Scholarship for Med at UNSW, since USYD has no undergraduate Medicine)

Although I have heard rumblings that next year they will be offering the Scientia Scholarship for Medicine at UNSW for only the top TWO places in the program based on the combined aggregate of UAI, UMAT and Interview.

Hope that clears everything up.

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
I've checked UNSW scholarships website, and there are some interesting guidelines:

Eligibility

NSW and ACT High School Principals will be asked to nominate the School's top student, based on the average of available academic results for years 11 and 12.

The number of places is limited to one per school, and nominations must be received by UNSW before end of September each year.

Nominees will receive a Certificate of Recognition from UNSW. The Certificate is not an offer to study at UNSW.

Nominees shall be selected for admission to UNSW based on standard practices (UAI).

If the selected nominee is not made an offer or elects to attend an alternative establishment, the High School may not put forward a second nominee.

If the selected nominee is made an offer to UNSW but chooses to defer, the High School may not put forward a second nominee.

This scholarship cannot be deferred (if you accept your enrolment at UNSW and defer the first year of your studies the offer of the scholarship will be withdrawn)\

It doesn't make it clear, however, if the person who gets the grant is the actual UAI dux of the school. Nominees are due in September, before the actual HSC. So possibly, there could be a winner who was nominated by the school, who say crashes in the HSC and doesn't dux overall who gets the grant. Interesting.

Also, since the school can't nominate two students, the school would probably interview a few of the top students and ask them where they would like to study to make sure that the person that they choose indeed ends up going to unsw.

It's all very complicated actually, but good luck for all you guys!

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
velox said:
UNSW need to, since USYD is forming all these new combined medicine programs which seem quite enticing to high achievers.
Actually if you ask around, if students were offered a place in Med at UNSW or Med at USYD (which isn't really undergraduate-it's just reserving your place in Grad Med later (and you have to keep a very high average), they usually always choose UNSW.

The only reason I think for someone opting for USYD Med is that you would receive a $10,000 p.a scholarship

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
omar273 said:
The only reason I think for someone opting for USYD Med is that you would receive a $10,000 p.a scholarship
What about people that actually want to do something else with med? Ie. Science/Med.

HSC
i 've been nominated... basically one person from each high school who intends on going to unsw is chosen by principals or deps. based on who they think is the highest achiever. if you get into a unsw coarse and you were nominated you get 4000 grand.

phrred

HSC
buzz_hunniebee said:
i 've been nominated... basically one person from each high school who intends on going to unsw is chosen by principals or deps. based on who they think is the highest achiever. if you get into a unsw coarse and you were nominated you get 4000 grand.
so they tell u if uve been nominated?
do they choose the dux of the school?
btw its course

HSC
basically at my school i didn't know anything about a scholarship... the deputy just asked anyone who was going to put unsw as a first preference to see her and put your name down... she checks all your school marks and stuff... and they choose basically the most academic person from that school... eventhough i might not be as intelligent and someone whose averaging at like james ruse i still get it if i make to to unsw ... lifes great at an average public school

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah, but you still have to get an outrageously high UAI, and maintain that HD average, do you not? Good luck with it though! UNSW is 1337...apart from that Applied Science building. Best not to look up too much on the lower campus.

HSC
you don't have to maintain any average... just get into any unsw course... cause its a one of 4 grand. each highschool in nsw gets one student who gets it.

phrred

HSC
what course are you aiming for

does that mean the dux of your school can get 76 UAI n get an arts scholarship for a yr, thats retarded

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hmmm, that's an interesting point. I wonder if it covers transfers. For instance, if someone got a 76 UAI and got into some science course, would they be able to get a good GPA and transfer up to something else and keep the scholarship.

phrred

HSC
its a one off $4000 scholarship so they only get it in first year

phrred

HSC
Lord Pheasant said:
I was offered it, but at the time I didn't want to go to UNSW, so I said they should nominate somebody else.

Now UNSW is my first preference...
nice, can you get it back

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
phrred said:
what course are you aiming for

does that mean the dux of your school can get 76 UAI n get an arts scholarship for a yr, thats retarded
No no, it's your nomination coupled with your UAI. Just because you're nominated doesn't mean you'll get it. You still need to achieve a high UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)