3u speaking exam (1 Viewer)

pennielane

hey everyone!
i have a speaking assessment for 3u on friday morning which is in the same format as the hsc exam. i.e. we are given 3 topics in french and have 10 mins to prepare 2 minute discussions on 2 of them. the topics relate to the 3 themes: tolerance of difference; belonging vs alienation; coping with change.
anyway the point is it is hard and scary and i never know what to say so i would be very grateful of any advice on what to say, good expressions to use and how not to get freaked out about the fact that there is a teacher in the room watching u while u make an ass of yourself.

the topics we have done in class so far: the role of women, religious intolerance, secularism, and racism so the topics will have to be to do with those kind of things...
help!!

ally86f

novice
HSC
uhh... pennie?

is this pennie as in pennie in my class at nsghs?
if so... i caught you!
tee hee

however the truth is i am also here hoping for inspiration
orals are a bitch
and mme v doesnt seem to like my tapes so far so i am foutu

chepas

HSC
Bonsoir tlm.

Funny, I was just at NSGHS today doing orchestra rehearsal. Chaotic it was. Was there an athletics carnival or something?

ANYWAY...

I have typed up this Bible to French Extension Speaking that I got from my teacher. Plein d'expressions et de conseils et tout a, j'espre que a peut vous aider.

Bonne chance!
Chpas :D

ally86f

novice
HSC
chepas - we were at athletics yesterday! how bizarre
what school are you at? or are you finished?
what a small world it is..

anyway, back sur le sujet, what sort of questions are we likely to get?
because im trying to prepare some structures, general sentences that i can hopefully use etc on topics but im so puzzled as to what the questions will be - last years hsc questions were pretty random (living on a desert island is the best way of life? what the?!!)

anyways, the exams in less than 24 hours so if anyone has any ideas... sooner rahter than later??

chepas

HSC
Marsden High - Class of 04 :)

One thing I left of the .doc attachment in my post ^^ are:

Topics used in past papers (3 Unit Course) still relevent to the New HSC Prescribed Issues:

ARGH. The server moved stuffed up the accents and all that so it's all stuffed up. Look down further and I will post an attachment of the scanned sheet.

Well, here's some fodder.

Bonne chance avec vos examens de demain, vous deux!
Chépas :D

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
hey pennie and ally,

How did your exam go today?

Chpas :D

chepas

HSC
Practice Oral Questions

I got this from my teacher today. I think it's great. Challenging questions for oral.

Practice Oral Questions Sheet

All three areas:
  • Tolerance of Difference
  • Coping with Change
  • Belonging vs. Alienation

Amusez-vous bien,
Chépas :D

chepas

HSC
Here's the scanned sheet.

Topics use in past papers (3 unit course) still relevant to the prescribed issues: Part One, 1999 - 1997

ally86f

novice
HSC
hello chepas -

all that stuff you posted is awesome, exactly what ive been looking for for aaaages!!

the speaking went alright, well not really, our teachers were really disappointed and gave out the shittiest marks ever - however thanks to some huge researching online i managed to nab second top mark which was still only 16/20, but i totally screwed the assess before that so at least i did better..

anyways thanks so much for all of this, if you ever need anything just drop us a line and ill be glad to help :)

ally

chepas

HSC
Glad to help ally :) Glad to hear the exam went well! 16/20 is really good, and the ranking is all good and part of it too. In our half yearly I got 8.5/10 for the speaking - something which I thought I completely screwed over, so I was pretty stoked! (And considering for dist ed. we only have two assessments and they are the exams - the 1/2 yearly is worth 40% of the internal assesesment!! :rolleyes: very freaking outage.)

Alors, je dois aller faire mes devoirs d'allemand. Bonne chance!
Chepas. :D

chepas

HSC
Quelque chose pour les Extensioneurs de 2005...

Salut tlm,

Maintenant, je sais que le bac orale pour 2004 et bel et bien passé, et je suis désolé de ne pas avoir eu le temps pour mettre ces questions sur BOS, mais je n'en avais pas!

Alors, pour ceux qui veulent faire le French Extensions en 2005, 2006 (et ainsi de suite...), je vous recommande de passer un coup d'oeil sur ces questions (aussi bien que celles en haut^^^!). Quand la date s'approche l'année prochaine je 'bumperai' ce thread, ou peut-être je peux demander a` quelqu'un pour un 'sticky'...

Voici des questions des 'Past Papers', du Board of Studies, du NAFT et du Open High School. Bien que vous puissiez trouver ceux du BOS sur le web, pourquoi pas les voir dans le même endroit :).

Source: Board of Studies HSC Oral Exams
Q1. Pour s'adapter a` un monde qui change constamment, il est essentiel d'avoir la meilleure formation professionelle possible. Etes-vous d'accord? / It is necessary to have the best job training possible to be able to adapt to a constantly changing world. Do you agree?

Q2. Les enfants on besoind d'être élévés par deux parents. Etes-vous d'accord? / Children need to be brought up by two parents. Do you agree?

Q3. La réussite d'un individu se mesure a` ses possessions matérielles. Etes-vous d'accord? / A person's success can be measured by material possessions. Do you agree?

Q1. Il est essentiel de parler plus d'une langue dans une société multiculturelle. Etes-vous d'accord? / Speaking more than one language is essential in a multicultural society. Do you agree?

Q2. En Australie, l'éducation est accessible a` tous dans les mêmes conditions. Etes-vous d'accord? / In Australia, everyone has the same access to an education. Do you agree?

Q3. Habiter une île déserte, c'est la vie la plus satisfaisante possible. Etes-vous d'accord? / Living on a desert island is the most fulfilling way of life. do you agree?

Q1. Les jeunes de nos jours ne témoignent pas automatiquement aux adultes le respect qu'ils méritent. Etes-vous d'accord? / Young people of today do not automatically give adults the respect that they deserve. Do you agree?

Q2. En poursuivant la richesse, on oublie ce qui est vraiment essential: les rapports humains. Etes-vous d'accord? / In our pursuit of wealth, we forget about what is really important: human relationships. Do you agree?

Q3. L'intolérance est fondée sur la peur et l'ignorance. Etes-vous d'accord? / Intolerance is based on fear and ignorance. Do you agree?

2004: Hot off the press!
* Please take note that these are not necessarily verbatim, just whatever my feeble mind remembers! Check with the BOS when they release the papers from this year. Others from this year, help? :D

Q1. Pour appartenir a` un groupe, il faut suivre ses règles. Etes-vous d'accord? / To belong to a group, it is necessary to follow the rules [it comes with]. Do you agree?

Q2. L'interdiction du port des signes réligieux [ostensibles] aux écoles [et lieux publics] est devenue loi. Certains disent que c'est une atteinte a` la liberté d'expression. Etes-vous d'accord? / The banning of the wearing of religious symbols in schools [and other public places] is now a law. Some people say that it is an attack on the liberty of expression. Do you agree?

Q3. Il est plus important d'être capable de faire face a`/affronter des changements dans la vie qu'avoir un diplôme de l'université. Etes-vous d'accord? / It is more important/more desirable to be able to cope with big changes in life than have having a university degree. Do you agree?

Source: NAFT Trials (National Association of French Teachers, I think...)
Q1. La présence des immigrés dans la société engendre la tolérance des différences. Discutez. / The presence of immigrants in society leads to the acceptance of differences. Discuss.

Q2. Le recours a` la technologie appauvrit les rapports humains. Etes-vous d'accord? / The use of technology is undermining human relationships. Do you agree?

Q3. Les changements dans la société moderne ont mené a` la fracture de la famille. Discutez. / Changes in modern society have led to the breakdown of the family. Discuss.

Q1. De nos jours, il existe très peu de modèles de référence pour les jeunes. Qu'en pensez-vous? / Nowadays, young people have very few role models. What is your opinion?

Q2. Le progrès a enrayé la pauvreté dans la société moderne. Discutez. / Progress has wiped out poverty in modern society. Discuss. NB: There were problems with the phrasing of the French question and the English version. Rayer means to wipe (no 'out'), enrayer means to curb. Make of it what you wish, they were splitting hairs if you asked me. Meaning is conveyed in the end anyway.

Q3. A dix-huit ans, il faut partir de chez soi pour mieux s'épanouir. Etes-vous d'accord? / At eighteen years of age one must leave home in order to fulfil one's potential. Do you agree?

Q1. C'est inévitable que les jeunes s'opposent a` leurs parents. Etes-vous d'accord? / It is inevitable for young people to come into conflict with their parents. Do you agree?

Q2. Si la misère est l'affaire des autres, la généosité devrait être l'affaire de tous. Discutez. / If deprivation is someone else's business, generosity should be everyone's business. Discuss.

Q3. L'égalité des sexes n'existe qu'en théorie. Etes-vous d'accord? / Gender equality exists only in theory. Do you agree?

Source: Open High School Oral Exams
2004, Half Yearly
Q1. Les jeunes sont prêts a` tout faire, y compris se droguer, plutôt que d'être rejeté par la bande. Etes-vous d'accord? / Young people will do anything, including taking drugs, rather than be excluded from the group. DO you agree?

Q2. La plupart des adolescents ont une vision plutôt optimiste de leur avenir. Etes-vous d'accord? / The majorit of teenagers have a rather optimistic vision of their own future. Do you agree?

Q3. La créativité ne peut avoir lieu que dans le différence. Etes-vous d'accord? / To be creative, one needs to be different. Do you agree? Now here I disagree with the phrasing of the question, there's a slight difference in meaning. In the French it implies that surrounding and other THINGS have to be different, but the English implies that it is the SELF that has to be creative... mmm...

2004, Trial
Q1. L'humour, c'est très important. Mais peut-on rire de tout? Quelle est votre opinion? / Humour is very important but can one laugh about everything? What is your opinion?

Q2. On peut apprendre et s'enrichir par la rencontre d'autre cultures. Etes-vous d'accord? / One can learn and be enriched by encountering other cultures. Do you agree?

Q3. La pub nous incite a` être nous-mêmes... en ressemblant aux modèles qu'elle nous propose. Etes-vous d'accord? / Advertisements encourage us to be ourselves... by looking like the images they suggest. Do you agree? This one screwed a lot of us over. I'll leave you to do it with your teachers and find out how :D :D

Bon, s'il y a des erreurs d'orthographe ou de question, surtout pour celle de l'examen de 2004 (BOS), veuillez me corriger!

Une suggestion pour les étudiants de 2004: Pourquoi pas les faire comme un 'essay'? Pensons maintenant a` l'examen écrit :).

Enfin, je vous souhaite tous

Bonne chance!!!

Chépas :D.

Last edited:

muzzling

HSC
My hero

Oh la vache, chepas, vous etes mon hero... recemment j'ai fait mon examen d'oral de 3 unites et bien... a mon avis, j'ai pas reussi, mais c pas grave. Je vous remercie pour votre aide pour l'autre partie.
Merci encore,
Bisous,
Muzzling

chepas

HSC
De rien muzzling :D. Vous venez de nous découvrir? Alors, soyez bienvenu/e!

Vous faites votre examen tard dans le trimestre, n'est-ce pas? C'est pour les Trials ou vous parlez de l'examen qui est, dieu merci, enfin passé?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)