3u help me please (1 Viewer)

pennielane

hey guys...whats the insight as to what guediguian was trying to convey with his various portraits of women in extract 3?
(that is: monique and jeannettes attitude to 'making love', magali and her decision to study in paris and caroline's monologue about the concentration camp.)

im stumped.

pen xx

chepas

HSC
Interesting question. I just finished the in depth thingy for extract two and about to start xtract 3 next week. I hope we'll struggle together then.

Off the cuff, I have not much an idea. :( I think that Caroline's reflection of making love as the 'thing they did' in the concentration camp was more a reflectino of her generation and that period in her life. Magali comes across as the actively world-involved person, the uni student, then the journo thing in Paris, compared with Caroline's many commentaries of Castro etc... (but that hasn't got much to do with conveyance of the women! Oops)

Mmm. That has me stumped too.
Chpas :D

chepas

HSC
Ah, just did a question that actually says

7) This extract (extract 3) shows various portraits of women. What message do you think Guédiguian was trying to convey?

To which I wrote:

"Of what Guédiguian is trying to say, I think it must be a montage and almost a time-line of different problems women have faced over the last century. Even though chronologically we have gone back to front, if we start with Caroline: - Caroline’s situation women were treated just by what background you came from and what beliefs you held. It shows the very first struggle of the four women in the film. Even though this same struggle was shared with the male gender, it still paints a portrait of the first stage of woman’s plight, or way.

Second, we see, in these times after the sexual revolutions of the 50s, 60s and 70s, that Jeannette and Monique are openly discussing, and indulging in the rather female-dominated activity of gossip, of Jeannette’s blossoming relationship with Marius. Here, we see that they are free, also free to talk on these types of issues openly, and that the development of these interactions has furthered (that is to say, that in Caroline’s time at the camp these interactions were hindered, or not even in existence of the culture of that time).

Finally, with Magali, we see that women hold and have rights and of course freedom of opinion and choice of what to do with their lives, as we see Magali announcing, uninfluenced by anything, to her mother that she is leaving for Paris for her studies (the studies in itself could shed a light onto the continuing story of women over the years).

In all of the situations we can see that the characters have grown and matured, each to their own and independent."

Though I haven't got this corrected yet, and reads sometimes like a random stream of consciousness... Maybe an insight though ?!?

chepas

HSC
Mais ça t'a aidé quand même, non? :D

Mmm. :spam:

EDIT: Tu as vu ce qui s'est passé ces derniers jours penn? De choses sur 3U dans les autres threads.

Last edited:

pennielane

oui merci..ca m'a aide'
j'ai pas vu les autres threads...lesquelles ont des choses relevant?
je vais regarder......merci encore... il y a des advantages d'etant un ringard!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)