• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

3 unit bridging course... from general maths (1 Viewer)

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
i thinking of doing civil engineering, and i need to have some sort of knowledge of 3 unit maths.

is it possible for some one who has done general maths to do the bridging course, and get somewhere ? or will i be wasting my time...

santaslayer

HSC
bridging courses are suppose to help u attain a whole 2 yrs worth of crap in a short period. it IS recommended though i wouldnt care about it.

ioniser

HSC
you should start now and get yr 11 and 12 ,2 unit and 3 unit books with a tutor to help you out, i hear those bridging courses are hard as they are heaps quick in like 2 weeks ( 2 years worth of work)

KD

HSC
N/A
The bridging courses are usually set up for those who have done 2u. You could still do it with general although you will find it much harder. I would suggest as others have that you do some preparation and do the course. If you don't go very well then (if you go to UNSW) you can always do the general mathematics course first.

From UNSW Website:
http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/undergrad/sad/bridgeprog.html

Mathematics Bridging Course

Some university programs assume an existing knowledge equivalent to HSC Mathematics Extension 1 (or "3 unit"). The aim of the Mathematics Bridging Course is to bridge the gap between the HSC Mathematics course (not the General Mathematics course) and what is required for these university programs by teaching relevant topics of the HSC Mathematics Extension 1 course. Your performance in the Maths Bridging Course examination may mean you are properly prepared for entry directly into MATH1131 which is a compulsory course in all engineering programs, mathematics programs and many science-based programs at UNSW. To enter MATH1131 it is assumed that you have the knowledge and understanding equivalent to:

* a result of about 90 in HSC Mathematics ("2 unit"). (This course is not the pre-2001 HSC course Mathematics in Society or the post-2001 HSC General Mathematics), or
* a combined mark of over 100* in HSC Mathematics ("2 unit")/HSC Mathematics Extension 1 ("3 unit"), or
* a satisfactory grade in the UNSW Mathematics Bridging Course.

*a combined mark of over 115 is more realistic

If you do not have the above assumed knowledge for entry to MATH1131 you are advised to first complete the one session course, General Mathematics 1B, MATH1011.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
If you've only done General Mathematics then you might need to do BOTH the Mathematics and Mathematics Ext 1 bridging courses. Uni's like UTS offer both and maybe some other uni's do as well.

For Engineering, you'll definately need maths, but if you're looking at something like IT or Business, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)