3 study problems.. (1 Viewer)

louise08

HSC
1. I actually really enjoy studying and doing my assignments. But somehow I still find it hard to actually START. I get my books together and study notes.. and then I just can't seem to start so I find something else to do.

2. I only work if I'm under pressure by the due date. I know alot of people leave things to the last minute (aka last night before its due).. but I always get so frustrated at myself.. because when I'm doing the assignment I'm rushing it but at the same time I'm also quite enjoying the topic and whatnot. I still go fairly well in my assignments but I know I could deffinatly go into much more detail if I started weeks before.

3. Its lame.. but seriously guys how do you manage to switch off MSN and myspace while doing assignments?!

any tips would be much appreciated! :)

bettina44

HSC
i also experience the same thing,i don't mind studying but i can't get into my study mood to start.i try to do something i feel like doing then when i'm in a good mood i try to study.

louise08

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
@ number 3, I decided to get a life and meet people :p
i know everyone on my msn and myspace. my friends :p

louise08

HSC
theshortykatt said:
uninstall msn. get mate to change password to myspace/facebooks.

use rewards such as lollies to help you sit down and study.
eg. if i get through 10 questions ill allow myself to have that mars bar. etc.

think about the marks you could get for doing your assignment earlier. also, ask rents to make you finish sections of it before allowing you to go out/use the car/go to sporting event. etc.
thanks yeh they are some good ideas!!

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
louise08 said:
1. I actually really enjoy studying and doing my assignments. But somehow I still find it hard to actually START. I get my books together and study notes.. and then I just can't seem to start so I find something else to do.

2. I only work if I'm under pressure by the due date. I know alot of people leave things to the last minute (aka last night before its due).. but I always get so frustrated at myself.. because when I'm doing the assignment I'm rushing it but at the same time I'm also quite enjoying the topic and whatnot. I still go fairly well in my assignments but I know I could deffinatly go into much more detail if I started weeks before.

3. Its lame.. but seriously guys how do you manage to switch off MSN and myspace while doing assignments?!

for number 1- get motivated somehow, maybe get a bag of your favourite lollies by your desk. that always makes me stay seated! Studying, you can separate each subject into topics, then you can focus on one topic at a time, with the syllabus to guide you so you know what to do. Just focus on one thing at a time e.g one syllabus dot point at a time.

for number 2- pretend your due date is a couple of days before due. write this in your diary or wherever you will see it. This allows you more time to edit and look over your assignment as well.

for number 3- this is hard especially when your work is on the computer. If you are a person that needs msn on, maybe try putting yourself on busy which disable all sound and popups so you can concentrate on your work. Also close the msn tab on the bottom so you dont see it and tempt yourself in clicking it.

umm i think thats all i can think of...

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
For No 3. just don't have MSN open, or if necessary, appear offline and only ask your friends for help or when somethign is important. You can't exactly blcok MySpace, but self-discpline is a key.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Those 3 points happens to a lot of people. Point 1 sounds like procrastinating :). Remember to reward yourself after you've completed the task e.g. food, exercise. For Point 2, I don't do this for assignments, but rather, I get it done straight away when I receive it, and laugh at the people when their blatant excuse is 'oh noes my inkz ran out'. But when it comes to exams, I study and cram in the last minute, but I don't study consistently everyday i.e revising on material (I'm working on it). For point 3, you don't have to sacrifice MSN to gain 100% in any exam. Discipline yourself to work hard, then reward yourself by going on MSN.

Gl :) :).

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
louise08 said:

1. Hold your nose and dive into it (metaphor) i.e. just take a deep breath then just give yourself the necessary adrenalin to get going.
2. It depends on the person but last minute stuff should not be a habit. Most of my recollections in exam don't use last minute knowledge.
3. I multi-task, I can go on MSN and study at the same time with minimal loss of performance.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Personal laptop for school work which has no access to internet.

bawd

HSC
louise08 said:

Wow, I have problems with those too! *high five*

However, things like MSN, TV, the internet and what not don't pose as a problem for me and I can easily avoid using them. I just can't seem to get started and I feel as if I need the pressure of an impending due date.

I guess I'll try the pretending my assignments/assessments are due earlier trick.

HSC
louise08 said:

OKAY I HAVE THE SUPREME ANSWER!! (especially to number three!)

1)I know what you mean on this one! I enjoy the Assignments though, not particularly the studying - the thing is i just can't seem to study properly. Motivation will come closer to the trials when you realise just how much all the smart people are studying. That gets you off your ass pretty quick. Think of it this way - think of the smartest people in your school. Then think of how much they must study and also how much people in selective schools study - argh! Start doing study notes and learn to memorise effectively, instead of panicing!!! The thing you should remember is that even though study summaries are good - wasting all of the time on the summary won't achieve much. Sure, you will learn a bit and it will be nice and tidy, but its easier to do summary notes than memorise stuff, and the whole point of the trials arent to see who has the best summary notes - its who remembers most in the exams and answers the question properly.

2) I agree with the person who said write in a diary or on the sheet a date that is two or three days before it is actually due. If you programme all of your assessments this way, then eventually this will match the schedule you would normally have and your assessments will heighten in quality!

3) Okay this may seem a bit extreme, but when you have been addicted to MSN and MySpace, drastic measures are needed. To stop me procrastinating, i deleted MSN and asked one of my friends to change my MySpace password so that i would stop it. (Only until the HSC finishes!) It works really well - believe me. And, this way you get to veg out in front of the TV watching mindless zombie crap without feeling guilty!! woo!! and see more of your friends/boyfriend, instead of talking to the on MSN....:)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Do your computer work for assignments in the library where they don't have MSN.

selablad

HSC
kaz1 said:
Do your computer work for assignments in the library where they don't have MSN.
Haha. I can't do that. I'm so paranoid that someone will see me putting heaps of effort into an assignment or something, and then they'll think it's stupid, so I just mess around and have to keep hiding my work and scrolling away from my writing and wasting time fixing up the fonts and stuff...

It works for all my friends though; I think I'm just excessively paranoid...:D

brisee

HSC
Hey, I've still got those problems too --- but importantly getting over them. I never thought about this, but it was pointed out to me that if you find it hard to start things, it could be a perfectionist habit that you don't want to write the first sentence unless it's the perfect sentence. If this is you, or anyone else - try to shift perspective and focus more on drafting and editing, until you get your 'perfect finish'. Start doing that and you'll probably end up leaving it alone and not fussing around too much with it. In the end there's so much less stress.

It takes a little bit extra to get over the fact that the first thing you write might not even be there by the end of it, but in the long run it might be lot more effective than switching off the technology and hoping that the procrastination just wears away.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I also find i dont start things till theres due date pressure, oddly enough, i seem to do better that way. If your the same theres a way to kind of get around it. Instead of leaving the WHOLE assessment process till the last minute, only leave the writing part.

Do all your research weeks in advance and write a very detailed scaffold, this is usually quite easy and doesn't feel like your doing much work at all. Then come back to it when you get to the writing process, you get through it pretty quickly (and it also feels easy). Works for me.

louise08

HSC
thanks everyone!! real good tips you all gave !

jazzbaby

HSC
theshortykatt said:
uninstall msn. get mate to change password to myspace/facebooks.

easy to say

but really it was sooo hard for me to cancel myspace.. i couldnt even do it myself, my friend had to cancel it for me
but im glad i did.
Dont uninstall msn! even i couldnt bring myself to do it, im glad i didnt cancel it either coz i know i would end up making a new one.
just like put ur status on away or busy
and turn the screen off.
and like what i do now is
2 hours study=half an hour msn

lol
haha

good luck

brisee

HSC
No! Don't uninstall MSN! It can be the root of all evil, but it can also save your life sometimes! Trust me. Do not uninstall it. ;)

HSC
brisee said:
if you find it hard to start things, it could be a perfectionist habit that you don't want to write the first sentence unless it's the perfect sentence. If this is you, or anyone else - try to shift perspective and focus more on drafting and editing, until you get your 'perfect finish'. Start doing that and you'll probably end up leaving it alone and not fussing around too much with it. In the end there's so much less stress.
That sounds like me as well, I have my first take-home task for English FOR THE WHOLE YEAR due at the end of the holidays, and I seriously have no idea how to start it. Its funny, because I understand the text and the question just fine, but actually starting the essay is a daunting process.
Maybe I should start 'drafting' in vain of something more coming out of it?

JSBboag

HSC
louise08 said:

The number 1 thing that helps me is a study/assignment timetable - stick to it. Also, i will go out on Friday's and Saturday's but i will always allow a full day on Sunday for strictly study it helps a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)