3 MC questions from a 2012 Trial HSC (1 Viewer)

Hypem

HSC
I don't know how to work this one out.

15) In order to escape a planet's gravitational field, a projectile's initial velocity needs to be equal to the escape velocity.
During its escape the projectile's kinetic energy is transformed into gravitational potential energy.

A projectile is required to escape the gravitational field of planet X. Planet X has four times the radius and nine times the mass of the Earth.

Compared to the Earth, by what factor would the projectile's escape velocity have to change on planet x?

(A) 0.5 times
(B) 1.5 times (correct answer)
(C) 3 times
(D) 4 times

18) Two long parallel wires carry equal currents in the same direction. The magnitude of the force between the wires due to the currents is F.

The separation between the wires is now halved.

Which of the following describes the new force between the wires due to the same currents?

(A) Magnitude 2F and attractive (correct answer)
(B) Magnitude 2F and repulsive
(C) Magnitude 4F and attractive
(D) Magnitude 4F and repulsive

I thought it was (C) because F is proportional to 1/d^2 and hence halving would result in 4 times greater magnitude?

Note: Is this next one part of the Motors and Generators topic or Ideas to Implementation? Because that might explain why I don't know what to do.
19) A solid metallic disc is moved with constant velocity in the direction of the arrow across a uniform magnetic field.

(diagram shows a magnetic field going INTO the page, and the whole disc is in it, and the disc moving to the right). Point A is at the top (north), Point C is on the west side, and B on the south side.

The electrons in the disc experience a force due to the motor effect. Electrons are most likely to experience a force towards which labelled area of the metal?

(A) A
(B) B (correct answer)
(C) C
(D) Each area equally

omgiloverice

HSC
I'm not too sure about the first question I'll have to solve it once my cold goes away.

For question 18 look back at your formula sheet and you'll realize that the force is proportional to 1/d not 1/d^2

For question 19 use your right hand palm rule, except flip the direction of the force since you are finding the force of negative charges. The topic is in motors and generators, but a bit of knowledge from ideas would help a bit.

Hypem

HSC
Oh shit I thought it was d^2, nvm then

I don't really know what you mean about Q19?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Ecsape velocity for Earth= sqrt(2GM/r) where M is mass of Earth, r is radius of Earth
Excape velocity for X= sqrt(9x2GM/4r)= 3/2xsqrt(2GM/r)
Therefore B
Since the current is travelling in the same direction then it is attration
F=kI1I2L/d therefore F is proportional to 1/d
So if the distance is halved then the Force is doubled
Therefore A
19. Using your right hand rule Magnetic field is into the page and force is to the right leaving your thumb pointing south
Therefore B

jenslekman

HSC
for the first question,

15) In order to escape a planet's gravitational field, a projectile's initial velocity needs to be equal to the escape velocity.
During its escape the projectile's kinetic energy is transformed into gravitational potential energy.

A projectile is required to escape the gravitational field of planet X. Planet X has four times the radius and nine times the mass of the Earth.

Compared to the Earth, by what factor would the projectile's escape velocity have to change on planet x?

(A) 0.5 times
(B) 1.5 times (correct answer)
(C) 3 times
(D) 4 times

KE = - GPE
1/2mv^2 = GMm/R
so v = root(2GM/R) -> equation for escape velocity
if we let mass = 9M and radius = 4R
new escape velocity = root (2G(9M)/(4R))
take 3/2 out of the root,
= 3/2 root (2GM/R)

so escape velocity on new planet is 3/2 or 1.5 times greater

omgiloverice

HSC
wait don't you have to times 9 by 2 since the equation is sqrt(2GM/r)

jenslekman

HSC
wait don't you have to times 9 by 2 since the equation is sqrt(2GM/r)
no because the 2 remains inside the square root while the 9 is taken outside the square root making it 3. so sqrt(2G(9M)/(4R) = sqrt [(9/4) x 2GM/R] = sqrt (9/4) x sqrt (2GM/R) = 3/2 sqrt (2GM/R)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)