3-D trig question (1 Viewer)

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
For 3d trig there are the three formulas that u can use to find the answer, i.e. pythagoras, sine rule and cosine rule. However one of my friends has told me that there is another way, is he right? and if so what would it be like?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
3d trig uses the same formulas as the other trig the only difference is it is 3D (which can be broken up into multiple 2D triangles)

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
Yeah i know that.... it's just usually u only use the above formulas, i.e. pythagoras, sine rule, cosine rule to solve to find ur answer. I was wondering if there was another formula that you may have to use to find the answer, apart from the ones that i have mentioned that is.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I can't recall a 3d trig question that wasn't based on extracting out triangles, and then using some combination Pythagoras' Theorem, sine rule, cosine rule and elementary trig. So, I'm not sure what your friend is referring to - perhaps s/he could point out an example where you use some other method...

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
They are telling me tmr before my 1/2 yrly prelim test for extension maths... but anyway, thanks for your help....

Stick with the tried and true, unless some new method is drastically quicker, which I don't think it would be;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)