3.2.3 (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
when an electron come out of its "hole", which way does it move? does it create a negative current? i'm so lost :confused:

also, on csu they said "The apparent movement of holes in the opposite direction can be considered as a flow of positive charge. " what does this mean? they create a positive current? :confused:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
hole is defined as absence of electrons ie. positive charge

hence electron and hole move in opposite direction

when electron moves, it leaves a "hole" behind--> can be considered as an excess of relative positive charge, and another electron moves to fill the "hole". however that second electron itself creates a hole as it fills the first one so u can see how they move in opp directions

i hope that helps ya

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea, dat's pretty much it... =p

but electrons move in a brownian motion after it comes out of its hole (somehow)... brownian motion: a fancy word for moving randomly... and NO it doens't create a negative current... only when electrons have a tendency to move to one direction will it create a current... electrons in wires etc under go brownian motion all the time wif out the influence of an external magnetic/eletric field...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The apparent motion is often used as a way of explaining conventional current, if you have a row of electrons with a hole moving to the left, the hole will move to the right (assuming an electron goes to fill that hole, coming out of its own).

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
haha we're not even close to doing that bit of ideas.. haha

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
conventional current is the flow of positive charge

while in reality e-s flow the other way, we physicisits are used to using +ve charge (hence the holes)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)