2nd year med sci 1 sem question (1 Viewer)

saves.the.day

HSC
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone (I'm guessing survivor will probably know) what subjects med sci 2nd year students are allowed to do for the section that says "6 UOC from either math, physics, psychology, chem etc. etc."

Since thats all it pretty much says I have no idea whether I am allowed to enrol in CHEMabcd or CHEMwxyz. I tried using "serach by program" in the online enrolement but unfortunately that function does not work for 2nd year med sci'ers.

Thanks in advance. Hope someone out there knows!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
yep yep i think i know.

anything from CHEM2XXX you can choose (provided you have satified the prerequisites which all med sci students have by doing CHEM1011/1031 and CHEM1021/1041 for CHEM2XXX and also if your timetable do not clash)
For biological scieence, I think anthing starting with BIOS2XXX and BIOS3XXX you can choose from. I don't think they let us to choose everything from BEES such as geology or marine science, since they explicitly mentions Biological Science, not Biological, Earth and Environmental Science.
For Physics, bascially any PHYS2XXX course provided you have done the prerequisites in the first year. (personally i didn't do first year physics so that's out for me).
And for others, you must pick second year courses - note prefix 2XXX. You cannot enrol in anymore 1st year courses.

they really should fix that damn search by program...

saves.the.day

HSC
Thanks so much survivor. I knew you'd know (once again I aparently have to "spread reputation around before giving it to survivor again")

I actually e-mailed the faculty with this question and they never replied to me so I decided to take to the boards.

Finally, I just wanted to know if you could tell me how you learnt all this?

Thanks alot for your help.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
ha, the Science Student Office never do anything, don't bother asking them again by e mail. You have to go in person if you want anything from them :D

Well since I get no help from them I had to read the Handbook carefully. Since the handbook says you cannot do more than 48 uoc of credits in your degree, then everything you do afterwards must have a prefix of 2XXX excluding geneds. As to the electives, I know that in order to do anything from CHEM, PYSC, and PHYS you need prerequsites from first year courses, while others like BIOS and HPSC (History and Philosophy of Science requires assume knowledge, which means you can do everything upwards from 2XXX to 3XXX with no restriction of enrolment from my.unsw.

So yeah, since med science is a strict degree, don't choose things outside of what they ask you to, just stick your electives to BIOS, CHEM, PSYC, HPSC, COMP PHYS at second year level or above, and you'll be fine.

saves.the.day

HSC
Yeah I decided to do a HPSC course as I did a philosophy course last session and I really enjoyed that (as well as the hours being alot less). I

Survivor39 said:
others like BIOS and HPSC (History and Philosophy of Science requires assume knowledge, which means you can do everything upwards from 2XXX to 3XXX with no restriction of enrolment from my.unsw.
I remember reading in another thread that you're taking on a BIOS 3rd year subject. I could not even consider that. Good luck to you and thankyou so much for all your help.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
yeah I did a HPSC course as well, HPSC1500 Understanding Environmental Controversy. It was great, apart from the extra hours due to a huge-weighted group project.

Yeah, I'm doing a third year plant course. If I do badly I'll wack myself with a stick. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)