• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2nd year in, not sure if ive done the right thing (1 Viewer)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
i'm not a 10er =(

i'm pretty sure an advanced diploma and 5 years experience > uni degree and no experience in this field though...

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
I love how heaps of the ads say must have experience.

People have to start somewhere.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
that's why it's incredibly naive to think a uni degree guarantees anything in 'business' without actually working in an office for a relevant company while you do it

cadetships etc. are even better

Gmac_0

HSC
I know exactly what HR is lol. HR is just a function relating to the employees of the business, managing recruitment, conducting exit interviews, and dealing with the trivial complaints of employees.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
i'm really curious to what training exactly they provided my ex manager - i might ask him.

I know that he can walk into work now but thats pretty much it.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
i think anyone who has ever worked in retail will know exactly what HR is.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yes but not all HR managers are involved with retail companies.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
yes we know that but the HR job description pretty much matches what we all thought it was.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yes and HR manager of david jones parramatta etc is not the same thing, its smaller scale.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
What do you want to do, do you want to drop one of the components of your double degree?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Don't think I'm going to be much help, but from my understanding;

1. A Commerce degree for HR will make you more competitive, but is not 100% essential. (EDIT: A degree is still often a requirement for management HR positions.. I just mean't you can also get in via other degrees like Arts etc..)
2. Depending on the organisation (and from my personal experience) HR management tend to do some overtime. 45+ hour work weeks are not that uncommon.
3. According to my lecturer (did HR subject), there is definitely work in HR.

I'm not too sure about the occupations you mentioned (psychologist, physiotherapist, dietitian) being crap paying, but you're right - there's probably more work in HR.

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok finally a proper answer. okay so there are lots of available positions, is the pay good? the work hours a decent 9-5 monday to friday? if i want to start a family am i going to be able to find a part time position as HR manager?

and with allied health, is the pay good? and are there any vacancies IN SYDNEY?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
You shouldn't have too many problems finding a position paying >$80K in HR Management. In terms of the hours, a few of the places I've worked at had HR staying back till 6:00-7:00PM - but this depends highly on the organisation you work for. I think all levels of management carry some over time if you want a realistic answer.

If you want to start a family, a good option would be looking into the public service. I've seen a few HR positions advertised for government departments which allow you to accure flexi time so you can take days off. Any over time you do work (which will probably be very little) will count towards time off. Plus you get to choose the hours you start/finish.

From what I've heard, the pay for allied health is good, meaning you should be able to score yourself a position paying >$80k. I'm only going off what I've heard in regards to allied health so I'm probably not the most knowledgable person in this area.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I've heard great things about working for the government. Is it good pay too? I spose I have my BSc (Psych) to fall back on if I find HR to be awful, but that'll require at least an extra postgrad diploma in psychology for me to actually work as one.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
From what I hear the pay is below the private sector, however when you add up all the over time (unpaid as it is) you do in the private sector, I'm pretty sure it's even, if not better.

That, and Psych is a great area to study if you want to get into HR too. And in your situation, it also serves as a pretty good backup.

The only other thing I can recommend is trying to get some work experience to see if it's what you really want to do.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
as long as im not working more than 40 hours a week i'll be happy. I'm sure not EVERY HR manager has to work over 40 hours a week. Just the ones who want to earn over 100k :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)