2024 HSC Chat (8 Viewers)

leclerc16

HSC
does anyone have like a good questons by topic for advanced math? ive tried looking but most are trash ngl
yeah use past papers or smarter maths maybe ur teacher can give you the document it collates questions based on topics

zackry

HSC
is it true that your first assignment matters the most?

carrotsss

HSC
also depends on exam difficulty, if everyone is getting 90%+ and you can make up the ground easily then it doesn’t really matter but if there’s relatively big gaps between marks compared to other assessments and it’s weighted 30% it can be tough to make a comeback

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
nah, literally the opposite
trials + hsc are the most important (~70% of total mark)
just focus on learning the content for the subject itself. for subjects that have hand-in assignments and stuff, don't spend alot of your time on the assingment

carrotsss

HSC
nah, literally the opposite
trials + hsc are the most important (~70% of total mark)
just focus on learning the content for the subject itself. for subjects that have hand-in assignments and stuff, don't spend alot of your time on the assingment
I would disagree on the not spending a lot of time on the assignments, in terms of effort per ranking increase/general marks it is one of the easiest ways to get a better hsc mark - at most schools trials are weighted the same as all of the other internals and so you should be putting significant effort into those other internals. esp if you go to a low ranking school it is extremely extremely important that you come first in those assessments because it’s just a matter of putting in effort and losing ranks on them can really stuff you over

scaryshark09

HSC
I would disagree on the not spending a lot of time on the assignments, in terms of effort per ranking increase/general marks it is one of the easiest ways to get a better hsc mark - at most schools trials are weighted the same as all of the other internals and so you should be putting significant effort into those other internals. esp if you go to a low ranking school it is extremely extremely important that you come first in those assessments because it’s just a matter of putting in effort and losing ranks on them can really stuff you over
idk they are just a waste of time. learning the content actually in the syllabus sets you up for trials + hsc + in-class tests. hand-in assignments are often a distraction and people spend just as much time on them as studying for the hsc itself.

ive seen it happen where people just ignore the content they are learning in class, and spend two weeks perfecting an assignment that they do decent on, but then it doesnt even matter cause the flop trials and hsc cause they are behind on content.

yeah its good to try hard on hand-in assignment, but dont let it distract you from learning content in class, even if its not related to the assignment.

liamkk112

HSC
idk they are just a waste of time. learning the content actually in the syllabus sets you up for trials + hsc + in-class tests. hand-in assignments are often a distraction and people spend just as much time on them as studying for the hsc itself.

ive seen it happen where people just ignore the content they are learning in class, and spend two weeks perfecting an assignment that they do decent on, but then it doesnt even matter cause the flop trials and hsc cause they are behind on content.

yeah its good to try hard on hand-in assignment, but dont let it distract you from learning content in class, even if its not related to the assignment.
hand-in assignments r really important tho, depends on the subject but usually very helpful + its big weighting. eg, in software our major project was 40% weighting, allowed u to make really good and detailed documentation, and allowed u to implement a bunch of different algorithms. was really good revision for all the documentation primarily, got a refresher on all the diagrams as well as ergonomic stuff so it was like free year 11 revision + algorithm practice but also weighted 40%, i can't see why u wouldn't want to try on that.

similarly in ext1, our research project was on bezier curves and physics problems, both of which i'd say gave me a better appreciation and understanding of vectors that i probably wouldn't have gotten if i just did textbook questions. bezier curves are slightly out of the syllabus but as a mx2 student something similar could have been feasibly asked, and physics problems can also be asked in hsc for ext1 and ext2, so it's good practice.

ur right that if u just do well on hand-in's and don't do any exam practice, then naturally u will flop the hsc and trials. but realistically hand-ins are also a good way to refine your knowledge and are usually only ongoing for a few weeks, after which everyone will just go back to past papers anyway. so yeah those few weeks u won't be past paper spamming, but it doesn't mean u are doing nothing inside the syllabus, adding detail to stuff that u would usually do in a few minutes under exam conditions can help u to understand what ur doing at a deeper level, even in english working on an essay for two weeks lets u really see where ur issues are and can let u improve in exams (although i never had a hand in assignment in english).

scaryshark09

HSC
similarly in ext1, our research project was on bezier curves and physics problems, both of which i'd say gave me a better appreciation and understanding of vectors that i probably wouldn't have gotten if i just did textbook questions. bezier curves are slightly out of the syllabus but as a mx2 student something similar could have been feasibly asked, and physics problems can also be asked in hsc for ext1 and ext2, so it's good practice.
you had hand-ins for maths??
all our assessments were exams

bruhmoment.

HSC
Hey guys,

Just had a quick question, how exactly will 11 units work, and is it risky to be at 11 units?

nsw..wollongong

HSC
i remember we had this one assessment for math where we had to memorise the answer to every single question (or atleast be confident and know how to work it out) from the past paper hsc from 2010-2022 (even tho half of that was general math) idc that was easy marks
so many schools in the Illawarra did that for like 3 of their classes it was such a trend last yr fsr 💀

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hey guys,

Just had a quick question, how exactly will 11 units work, and is it risky to be at 11 units?
your best 10 units get factored in for your atar where english is a must (so 8 units of your choice gets factored in)

So basically this means half of your worst subject gets factored in to your atar (e.g if you did legal studies and you did worst in it, only 1 unit worth of it would get factored in).

but you'll still be acknowledged for completing the course regardless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)