2023 HSC chat (3 Viewers)

user18181818

HSC
i think it's correct
for the flame test between ba and ca don't you need to boil it or something because u can't do a flame test with them in ppt forms

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Shocker 😭 why does everyone think I'm gay
Self explanatory question but I'm still asking

View attachment 41115
Can anyone confirm if this elimination sequence is correct - HSC 2020 Chem paper
cation looks correct but tbh you could've just said flame test without having the na2so4 bit since the three cations produce three distinct results (the colours of ba2+ and ca2+ and then you just say magnesium doesn't form a distinct colour). for anion, it's not AgOH that forms the precipitate - AgOH is formed but it's not stable so it decomposes into silver oxide (silver oxide is the brown precipitate you see) so you'd need to acknowledge that. Ag+ also forms a (white) precipitate with Cl- so you'd have to acknowledge that too but apart from that everything else looks fine

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
i think it's correct
for the flame test between ba and ca don't you need to boil it or something because u can't do a flame test with them in ppt forms
they're all solutions though (specifies it's 0.1 mol/L at the start) so there's no ppt involved between ba2+ and ca2+

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
i think it's correct
Ok I'll keep that in mind - flame test the ions - got it

cation looks correct but tbh you could've just said flame test without having the na2so4 bit since the three cations produce three distinct results (the colours of ba2+ and ca2+ and then you just say magnesium doesn't form a distinct colour). for anion, it's not AgOH that forms the precipitate - AgOH is formed but it's not stable so it decomposes into silver oxide (silver oxide is the brown precipitate you see) so you'd need to acknowledge that. Ag+ also forms a (white) precipitate with Cl- so you'd have to acknowledge that too but apart from that everything else looks fine
Okay yeah I didn't know that, and I kinda ignored the AgCl ppt because it was the final thing anyways... Also I forgot the colour lol (white yeah?)

THANKS GUYS <3 🤩
Good to know I've memorised the colours of ppts basically fully correctly

user18181818

HSC
they're all solutions though (specifies it's 0.1 mol/L at the start) so there's no ppt involved between ba2+ and ca2+
yeah but then he's adding sulfate to it to make a ppt right? or you could take a new solution and do the flame test

Sam14113

HSC
idk my english teacher seems like extremely confident ill b6 - she reckons im gonna get the second highest hsc mark in my yeargroup (we usually get 4-6 b6 for context) which is nice but idk if it’s like a false confidence
How are you like almost SR in like every STEM subject there is and then are suddenly crazy at English as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)