2012 Semester 2 UNSW Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Yup, here comes week 13. opening my chinese books atm, studying for finals upcoming on thursday morning. *sigh*

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
gonna go to uni every day even though i dont have class

get dat studyin' done

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
may visit some very good internet buddies there then

halapenyo

HSC
gonna go to uni every day even though i dont have class

get dat studyin' done
yeah me too. get there early to get a good table in the library.

would you guys say its safe for me to leave my macbook and books, phone etc on the table unattended if i have to go the bathroom/vending machine?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

would you guys say its safe for me to leave my macbook and books, phone etc on the table unattended if i have to go the bathroom/vending machine?
just ask the guy next to you to look after it

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Library? Well, if you think so... I prefer studying in the ASB.

And yes, just ask someone to mind it for you. I'd take the phone though.

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
Speaking about ARC membership, the SAF we paid all went towards ARC membership. So they abolished ARC membership, which was $69 a year, and made us pay $265 a year for SAF, which was pretty much the payments made to ARC. far out =_=

The uni really does love our money, don't they? Though afterall, they are a business.
My apologies that this is a bit of a late response, but I just wanted to make a couple of points clear.

Arc is not only not a business (it is a non-profit), but completely separate to the uni. The SSAF goes directly to UNSW's pocket, and UNSW distributes the money as they wish. In previous years, UNSW has provided Arc with some funding (in the millions of dollars). This year, they gave half of the SSAF to Arc, after Arc spent time fighting for it. This is barely above what they've given Arc before.

To ease the burden on students, Arc decided to make membership free, stripping them of income from students and leaving them with a budget less than they've had in previous years. Meanwhile, the uni is effectively no longer having to spend its money on Arc (taking it directly from students instead), but also making a nice several million dollar profit.

So yes, the uni really loves our money. Arc, on the other hand, is not part of the uni and hurt themselves to give students a better time at uni. Keep in mind that they abolished a $69 membership fee, meaning they have significantly increased membership this year with a very decreased budget. They've also agreed to sell their Arc stores back to UNSW to secure more funding for the next 10 years, something I'm going to take a guess they wouldn't have agreed to do had a membership fee still existed.

HSC
Uni Grad
holy crap, ARTS2451.. worst exam out. So much stuff tested was not covered in the textbook nor by the teachers and anything else. I mean, really? really??? =_=

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
stop complaining bro

when you get a math2901 mid sem that makes you want to cry, then we can talk

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh yes.

You'll probably get some watered down version applied to actuarial science though.
That's actually true, although I also have to admit that there are more applications to actuarial science too.

Oh and we surpassed 400 posts (Y)

TaeY

HSC
N/A
Does anyone here knows what happens if you don't get 80% attendance for ARTS1660/ARTS1661?
My other courses are all lenient with attendances(they don't even take attendance for some of it), and I'm only taking ARTS subjects as gen-eds.
I just found out that it looks like ARTS subjects take attendance quite seriously? Totally freaking out and hoping someone would give me an answer based on previous experience?
Btw, yes I emailed the lecturer but it's been more than a week now and I haven't got a reply.

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone here knows what happens if you don't get 80% attendance for ARTS1660/ARTS1661?
My other courses are all lenient with attendances(they don't even take attendance for some of it), and I'm only taking ARTS subjects as gen-eds.
I just found out that it looks like ARTS subjects take attendance quite seriously? Totally freaking out and hoping someone would give me an answer based on previous experience?
Btw, yes I emailed the lecturer but it's been more than a week now and I haven't got a reply.
Well, if your final grade (assessment wise) is a fail (below 49), then you will fail. But if it's 50 and above, then you would pass the course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)