2009 Main Round cut-offs (1 Viewer)

KarmaKitten

HSC
Well there is a limited amount of places in every degree. Im assuming not everyone who has the required UAI will get into their first choice if places run out

cxlxoxk

HSC
Wait, so you may not get one even if your UAI is HIGHER than the UAI cut off?
Obviously that is the case...say for example there are heaps of people with high uai's going for one course which needs a not so high uai, and you just got higher than the UAI cutoff for the course, the places could be filled before it reaches you down the list. In this case higher is better.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Obviously that is the case...say for example there are heaps of people with high uai's going for one course which needs a not so high uai, and you just got higher than the UAI cutoff for the course, the places could be filled before it reaches you down the list. In this case higher is better.

Thats what I was going to type! But yes, exactly.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
No, unless there are other requirements to the degree that you don't meet such as an interview.

I don't think Rafy meant to imply that, but meant use the cutoffs purely as a guide and don't start jumping up and down yet if your UAI is higher than the cut off - there is a reason it was taken down from the UAC site and there is a reason offers are not out until 9pm tomorrow.

lou071

HSC
N/A
if the uai is less than 1 low, do you still have chance?

cxlxoxk

HSC
if the uai is less than 1 low, do you still have chance?
there is always a possibility! however i'm only saying this because i don't wanna know that the only course that i could be remotely eligible for, and that i want to do is b policing (66.60 - i got 67.95).

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
are bonus points included in those cut offs?

i.e your actual uai is lower than the cut off but with bonus points, its higher?

dolbinau

HSC
Technically for the UAIs to be cut offs though (assuming no bonus points are in play) why should you receive an offer if you are below the cut off?

(But I am hoping, brother was .40 off Engineering at UWS as I've said earlier in the thread)

cxlxoxk

HSC
Technically for the UAIs to be cut offs though (assuming no bonus points are in play) why should you receive an offer if you are below the cut off?

(But I am hoping, brother was .40 off Engineering at UWS as I've said earlier in the thread)
Charity, Bribery, etc...who knows?

spence

HSC

You shouldn't technically, but they let people in with UAIs below the cutoff

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Thats what I was going to type! But yes, exactly.
Wait, I would have thought the UAI cut-offs were calculated going down from all the people who put it as their 1st preference, starting from UAIs of 100...the cut-off would be equivalent to the person(s) with the lowest UAI offered for main-round entry into that course. Therefore, doesn't it take into account the total demand for the course...and therefore if there are no other entry requirements (i.e. completely based on UAI) you should get in, beyond reasonable doubt..if you got above the cut-off. Even if a 60 UAI course has 8000 people applying for 50 places, the high demand is taken into consideration in calculating the main-round cut-offs that were published earlier tonight..so the UAI would be something very high, sure, but if you got over that you'd get offered a place. That's what I thought...

spence

HSC
Wait, I would have thought the UAI cut-offs were calculated going down from all the people who put it as their 1st preference, starting from UAIs of 100...the cut-off would be equivalent to the person(s) with the lowest UAI offered for main-round entry into that course. Therefore, doesn't it take into account the total demand for the course...and therefore if there are no other entry requirements (i.e. completely based on UAI) you should get in, beyond reasonable doubt..if you got above the cut-off. Even if a 60 UAI course has 8000 people applying for 50 places, the high demand is taken into consideration in calculating the main-round cut-offs that were published earlier tonight..so the UAI would be something very high, sure, but if you got over that you'd get offered a place. That's what I thought...
I'm pretty sure you're right. If you're above the 2009 cutoff there is no reason you should miss out

sl123

HSC
Mmm.

No point thinking about it. I'm fairly sure that's how it works. Just wait, not too long to go :)

Be thankful that you're above the cutoff rather than below :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure the cutoffs are the lowest accepted UAI into the course.
Say a course has a quota of 30, say 50 people applied who all got 65, say the cutoff was 65, how do you differentiate there since they're all the 'lowest'. It's not as clear cut as it seems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)