2009 Economics Marathon (1 Viewer)

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Economics Marathon

Answer a question, and then ask a new one:

yo guys im kinda bored of studying eco and just wondering if u guys wanna run a marathon where someone posts a dot point and we answer it and so on

whos up for it?

hehehe:haha:

Last edited by a moderator:

gnrlies

HSC
Re: Quiz?

This is a good idea

This has been done in the past where someone posts a question, then the next person answers and asks a new question, and the cycle goes on and on until the HSC

imoO

HSC

Go for it.

First question-

What is globalisation?

I know, quite general, but you can be brief.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

imoO said:
Go for it.

First question-

What is globalisation?

Gloablisation is the process of economic integration leading to more open world markets and the customisation of products, services and technology.

Does the international Business Cycle have a positive or negative impact on the world Economy? Explain your answer.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Globalisation is the increasing economic integration of national economies into a single economic unit through increased trade, investement, finance and labour/ capital flows.

Next questions whats is FDI!

georgefren

HSC
FDI is foreign direct investment, that foreign companies invest into another nation's economy by infrastructure or company financing. (is that too general?)

What does the IMF do?

~caramello~

HSC
IMF is the International Monetary Fund. It focuses on Promoting exchange rate stability, expansion of trade and promoting global monetary cooperation. IMF is a pool of 185 countries, where its members contribute to a pool, which is then borrowed from by countries which have financial difficulties.

What is the difference between economic growth and economic development?

imoO

HSC
Economic growth is the actual measurement of growth in GDP and other economic measures. Economic development is making structural changes in the economy to promote or help economic growth, am I correct?

Why is it that the WTO is not very effective in implementing policies to countries that engage in protectionalism (i.e like how the French protect their cheese and wines to protect their culture?)

michael1990

HSC

imoO said:
Go for it.

First question-

What is globalisation?

Globalisation refers to the process of increased intergration between national economies to form a single interdependant global economy. (always loved that defintion)

xMrRand0m

HSC
imoO said:
Economic growth is the actual measurement of growth in GDP and other economic measures. Economic development is making structural changes in the economy to promote or help economic growth, am I correct?

Why is it that the WTO is not very effective in implementing policies to countries that engage in protectionalism (i.e like how the French protect their cheese and wines to protect their culture?)
Even though the WTO is able to place trade sanctions onto smaller economies, the larger economic forces, such as China and America, who engage in protectionalism, are going against the wants of the WTO, to create free flow for the global economy. Thus, as a result of being such large economies, the WTO's policies aren't very effectively implemented.

Explain the role and impact of TNC's in the global economy.

imoO

HSC
xMrRand0m said:
Even though the WTO is able to place trade sanctions onto smaller economies, the larger economic forces, such as China and America, who engage in protectionalism, are going against the wants of the WTO, to create free flow for the global economy. Thus, as a result of being such large economies, the WTO's policies aren't very effectively implemented.

Explain the role and impact of TNC's in the global economy.
Impacts TNC's bring to the global economy are:
-financial flows within and between economies
-technology
-industrialization
-increase in standards of living
-trade agreements (in terms of import and export quotas, tariffs, taxes etc...)
-destruction of domestic culture and environment

With this said however, TNC's play a vital role in globalization, and the global economy. They spread the benefits throughout the world, even to the poorest countries. For example, Australian phone books are typed by skilled workers in the Philippines because it costs only a fraction of what it would cost to produce here in Australia. The final product is great quality, for a cheaper price, thus producer efficiency. TNC's allow producers to develop and seek the most efficient process of production.

Feedback please?

Why is it that some argue that globalisation is beneficial, while others argue that globalization is damaging?

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
The WTO is a voluntary organisation therefore its influence is limited and globalisation is good and bad for many reasons.

One is that economices such as China have grown - positive

the negatives are globalisation is market based i.e. encourages a free market system the faliure of this system was seen last year (2008) with credit crunch so yeh that answer it for u?

There are much more reasons but this is what instantly came to me!

~caramello~

HSC
imoO said:
Why is it that some argue that globalisation is beneficial, while others argue that globalization is damaging?
Globalisation is beneficial as it breaks down trade barriers and increases international financial flows between countries. it helps increase economic growth etc. It could be damaging as globalisation enables countries to be more vulnerable to the up and downs of the business cycle. Seen recently with the US economy :/

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Does the international Business Cycle have a positive or negative impact on the world Economy? Explain your answer.

International business cycle refers to the tendency for economies to experience similar patterns of booms, troughs and downturns. It can have a negative impact on the world economy as seen by the 2008 US credit crunch. The negative growth of the US affected the global economy as other economies experienced negative growth in the form of a recession. Australia for instance experienced 2% of its growth wiped of as GDP from 4% to 2%. The Chinese economy slipped from 11% to 8% as the global demand for resources decreased with the global financial crisis. It is apparent that the International business cycle has negative impacts on the world economy

Kaatie

HSC
and the next question was?? i guess i'll just make one.
How are standards of living measured?

They are most commonly measured by Gross National Income per capita adjusted for exchange rate impacts or by Purchasing Power Parity, although there are limitations in these measures.

Next Question: What is the role of the EU

ttong

HSC
to promote free trade between its members and impose high barriers against non-members (damn trading blocs), heavily subsidise agricultural sectors, they also have their european central bank that takes care some macro (i think) policies for its members, facilitates a single currency between its members. hmm pretty much promote eco. growth and development in europe

q. what are the consequences of a high CAD?

Kaatie

HSC
A large capital and large financial account surplus... not sure if that is right

Is Aus' high concentration of commodity exports beneficial or harmful to Aus' economy

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
EU is the most important trading bloc in the world economy.

It was establised in 1993 and aims for the free movement of people, goods and service. Its members are restricted to those within the European region. The EU in 1992 established a single market for goods and services. In 2000 complete economic and monetary union was achieved with the adoption of the Euros currency.

NEXT QUESTION

1) Outline the changes in trade and investment that have occurred as a consequence of globalisation (include statistics).

2) Explain the impact of chnages in trade and financial flows on economie. (include statistics).

i included two questions as i previously forgot to put a question!

ninjas

HSC
q. what are the consequences of a high CAD?
well as the CAD is high, we will need more foreign savings in order to balance the BOP out. Those foreign savings could come in the form of debt or equity, debt would add to our national foreign debt and equity would increase the amount of foreign ownership on our assets.

If the BGS within the CAD is also in deficit, this could lead the government into actions to slow the rate of domestic economic growth, to reduce the need for imports (reducing standards of living), or to increase the savings within Aus to reduce the dependence on foeign savings. A negative BGS would also likely lead to a depreciation as more imports = more supply of $A

shantu1992

HSC
the simple multiplier screws me up :S i get it but i dont
other than that i know the whole course off by heart :)

someone post the next question up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)