2008/09 tax return (2 Viewers)

HSC
I tried doing e-tax the other day but basically it didn't include my union fees in the estimate. Last year I did e-tax and tried to claim my uniform back and it wasn't included in the estimate. I went ahead and sent it hoping to get it back, but I only got back what the estimate said (meaning not for my uniform). This year I'm not taking that risk, I'm going to my parents accountant as even if I have to pay like $80 for the accountant, I will still get more back then what the e-tax estimate says.
lol

rozymisty

HSC
I'm getting $1600 back, will go towards paying off flights and accommodation for Melbourne and then probably a gym membership.
wow if your flying from perth, you'll definately need all that money back!! Wish i was getting that much!

Found out that my estimate of $688, which is going to be spending money for my NZ trip, is $800NZ!! Pretty good huh! Thats prob all id need for spending, but of course i would want to take more..

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
Just over 2k for me this year. More than I was expecting that's for sure!

You are all probably aware of this, but if you have trouble saving money you can always not claim the $6000 tax-free threshold at the beginning of the financial year, and come EFY you will definitely get something decent back.

Also for students out there, thanks to a new high court ruling, if you are in receipt of Centrelink's study benefits that require you to be enrolled in a course to be eligible, you can now deduct study expenses as they are considered 'work related'.

izzy88

HSC
Also for students out there, thanks to a new high court ruling, if you are in receipt of Centrelink's study benefits that require you to be enrolled in a course to be eligible, you can now deduct study expenses as they are considered 'work related'.
Could you link to the High Court ruling? I can't find it, and all the ATO site says is that:

"On 1 April 2009, the Federal Court handed down its decision in Symone Anstis v. Federal Commissioner of Taxation. Ryan J. held that Ms Anstis, who received a youth allowance as a university student, was entitled to a tax deduction for her education expenses.
The Commissioner has lodged an appeal against the decision. Until this matter is resolved, the Tax Office will continue to apply the view set out in Income Tax Ruling TR 98/9. That is, education expenses are not deductible against various Commonwealth educational assistance schemes."
Anstis v FCT

I wouldn't rely on it yet...

HSC
Could you link to the High Court ruling? I can't find it, and all the ATO site says is that:

"On 1 April 2009, the Federal Court handed down its decision in Symone Anstis v. Federal Commissioner of Taxation. Ryan J. held that Ms Anstis, who received a youth allowance as a university student, was entitled to a tax deduction for her education expenses.
The Commissioner has lodged an appeal against the decision. Until this matter is resolved, the Tax Office will continue to apply the view set out in Income Tax Ruling TR 98/9. That is, education expenses are not deductible against various Commonwealth educational assistance schemes."
Anstis v FCT

I wouldn't rely on it yet...
DO NOT RELY ON THIS RULING for the 08/09 tax year. However, I'm keeping all related receipts for this tax year, just in case.

Fingers crossed.

izzy88

HSC
DO NOT RELY ON THIS RULING for the 08/09 tax year. However, I'm keeping all related receipts for this tax year, just in case.

Fingers crossed.
yeah i've looked around and i can't seem to find any information on a High Court ruling (or refusal to grant special leave to appeal)...i'm happy to be corrected though.

So definitely don't rely on it this year.

It would be amazing for next year- however my guess is that even if the appeal was lost (or loses), the government will probably just change the legislation to reflect what the ATO want.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Was taxed a bit more than $1k this year because I've had 3 jobs, estimate said I'll get about $850 back. I'm still deciding what to do with it, either going to spend it, save half & spend half or save it all. My 18th is coming up in a month so I'll quite easily spend a lot of it on that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)