• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008/09 English premier League (1 Viewer)

HSC
^ yep, quite often they offer their parents jobs at the club to "persuade" them. similar situation to giuseppe rossi a few years back.

ESPN have replays of chelsea vs liverpool at 10pm, barca vs bayern after that if anyone missed the matches or would like to re-watch.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
hopefully kenwyne and djibril have a blinder

and ferguson pairs neville and o'shea in the CBs

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
what? that doesn't make sense.

groucho is a barca fan
axle is a celtic fan
seve is a leeds fan
Maybe not all those who follow the Bundesliga have a keen interest in the EPL?

Just saw a headline from Lazio claiming Man Utd paid something like 2.8 million to marcheda or whatever his name is parents to lure him away from lazio's academy or something.

Extremely dodgy if true, wouldn't be surprised though, man utd have been stealing young players from foreign academies for years.
What's with you and your blinders. Are Man Utd the only team that's "stealing" players from foreign academies? What about Fabregas? What about all those players in the Chelsea academy? And Liverpool? All the big clubs sign youngsters from foreign countries. Don't blame the clubs, blame the system. It's a free market in Europe due to the EU laws, but it's just that English clubs benefits from this because they're able to offer professional contracts to players aged 17 (or is it 16), while in Italy they have to wait til a player turns 18 before they can sign a professional contract.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
man wtf? ofcourse not.

you don't have to be a crusader of the english premier league to post in this thread.

stop arguing, please.

your meticulous nature is too much.

Last edited:
HSC
uefa cup quarters:

shakhtar-marseille on ESPN now, with hamburg-man city to follow at 4:45am. werder bremen play udinese at the same time, which is being shown on SBS.

Charizard

HSC

What's with you and your blinders. Are Man Utd the only team that's "stealing" players from foreign academies? What about Fabregas? What about all those players in the Chelsea academy? And Liverpool? All the big clubs sign youngsters from foreign countries. Don't blame the clubs, blame the system. It's a free market in Europe due to the EU laws, but it's just that English clubs benefits from this because they're able to offer professional contracts to players aged 17 (or is it 16), while in Italy they have to wait til a player turns 18 before they can sign a professional contract.
Mainly just like getting a rise out of you, but my point wasn't necessarily them signing the player, more the fact that they gave the parents like 3 million to convince their son to do so, which i think is a pretty unethical act, if u consider the consequences their would be if every club did that.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Mainly just like getting a rise out of you, but my point wasn't necessarily them signing the player, more the fact that they gave the parents like 3 million to convince their son to do so, which i think is a pretty unethical act, if u consider the consequences their would be if every club did that.
Where did you get this 3million dollars from? You may be right but I've heard nothing like that yet.

I don't know if you can call such acts unethical. What have we done wrong? Did we exploit this kid? No. His father was talking about how they were struggling to pay bills in Italy and because Lazio couldn't offer his son a professional contract, United came up with an offer and that's that. Well if that amounts to 3 million then I wouldn't blame him for accepting the offer.

Look, FIFA is looking to implement measures to prevent such things from happening more often. There's still a lot to work on, as they still need to convince the EU.

Charizard

HSC
Where did you get this 3million dollars from? You may be right but I've heard nothing like that yet.

I don't know if you can call such acts unethical. What have we done wrong? Did we exploit this kid? No. His father was talking about how they were struggling to pay bills in Italy and because Lazio couldn't offer his son a professional contract, United came up with an offer and that's that. Well if that amounts to 3 million then I wouldn't blame him for accepting the offer.

Look, FIFA is looking to implement measures to prevent such things from happening more often. There's still a lot to work on, as they still need to convince the EU.
Well, the kid is on 30 000 pounds a year, yet they paif off his parents 2.8 million euros according to lazio. THat should cover the bills for the next 20 years. Sure, it's a great way to get out of poverty, and im not against helping disadvantaged people out, my problem is that, as soon as paying the parents as well as the child becomes a legitimate act, then think of the hell that will break loose.

Young 16 year old with amazing skills, you have 10 clubs all bidding for him, with whoeer offers the parents the most money gets the contract. Surely if you just leave it up to what you can offer the player in terms or wages, development, lifestyle, educations etc, then you make it in his best interests.

IF these acts are true (which obviously i cant say they are with 100% accuracy) then i think its just such a blight on the game, that its come to this point where every single aspect of the game is dominated by money.

HSC
haha fabregas didnt cost arsenal a damn thing.
nor did his parents.
arsenal are probably the worst offenders. the way they poach teenagers from other clubs youth academies is disgraceful. we'll have the last laugh when he comes back to play for barca, though.

interesting fact, when he played for young barca he was a deep-lying playmaker much in the guardiola mould but still managed to score 30+ goals a season. :p

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
arsenal nurture young talent like none other, to the extent that young players name arsenal among their favoured destinations...
primarily because arsenal will give you a shot, and if they dont they wont keep you in limbo till your 20-something, instead, they'll just fuck you off.

arsenal also dont pay 3 million to the parents of these players. arsene wenger, the shrewd economist, doesn't give in to such greed.

haha fabregas will return to barca knowing how to play only one way - the arsenal way.

source: the arsenal curse.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Well, the kid is on 30 000 pounds a year, yet they paif off his parents 2.8 million euros according to lazio. THat should cover the bills for the next 20 years. Sure, it's a great way to get out of poverty, and im not against helping disadvantaged people out, my problem is that, as soon as paying the parents as well as the child becomes a legitimate act, then think of the hell that will break loose.

Young 16 year old with amazing skills, you have 10 clubs all bidding for him, with whoeer offers the parents the most money gets the contract. Surely if you just leave it up to what you can offer the player in terms or wages, development, lifestyle, educations etc, then you make it in his best interests.

IF these acts are true (which obviously i cant say they are with 100% accuracy) then i think its just such a blight on the game, that its come to this point where every single aspect of the game is dominated by money.
I think FIFA states that the club of the player under the age of 16 that is being transfered from must be compensated, because these players are not tied to professional contracts. So by paying a fee to Lazio is part of the process.

Professional football has been built on money, especially since the rise of television. But even back in the old days, a lot of clubs relied on their most prized players to raise them money from transfer fees. After all, football is a business, albeit one that should be highly regulated.

arsenal nurture young talent like none other, to the extent that young players name arsenal among their favoured destinations...
primarily because arsenal will give you a shot, and if they dont they wont keep you in limbo till your 20-something, instead, they'll just fuck you off.

arsenal also dont pay 3 million to the parents of these players. arsene wenger, the shrewd economist, doesn't give in to such greed.

haha fabregas will return to barca knowing how to play only one way - the arsenal way.

source: the arsenal curse.
How can Arsenal not have compensated Barcelona? I'm sure he went there when he was really young, before he was tied to a professional contract so Arsenal must have paid some money to Barca for nicking him away.

Arsenal never discloses the financial details of their transfers. Even if Wenger did pay a kid 3 million to get him to come to Arsenal nobody would know. And it's funny how everyone just says he's a shrewd economist just because he holds an economics degree.

HSC
How can Arsenal not have compensated Barcelona? I'm sure he went there when he was really young, before he was tied to a professional contract so Arsenal must have paid some money to Barca for nicking him away.

Arsenal never discloses the financial details of their transfers. Even if Wenger did pay a kid 3 million to get him to come to Arsenal nobody would know. And it's funny how everyone just says he's a shrewd economist just because he holds an economics degree.
we got jack shit for fabregas. literally nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)