2007 Poets (1 Viewer)

shimmy&shine

HSC
well done!

My major work turned nothing like my initial interntions outlined in my proposal, haha.

so be ready for any chanhges if any occurs!

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I went from 'the world is terrible let's blow it up' to 'the world is wonderful, let's keep living' and finally decided to take some sort of middle ground. Plenty of room for drastic changes and it's nothing to worry about if you do end up making huge changes.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
LottoX said:
It's time to start working now, 2007, =)
As far as poetry is concerned you should never have stopped in the first place. That said, it's time to hit the higher gears.

Ganbatte kudasai!

sw1tch

HSC
LottoX said:
Remember to take advantage of the form and power of poetry.

That's pretty much all I can think of right now. Just remember to emphasise and use the aspects of poetry which make it so powerful.

Yeah, way to be specific, huh?
good advice all the same :D

dreamer7 said:
It's quite frustrating because my concept keeps metamorphosising, but that's the whole creative process I suppose. The research is going to be quite difficult. Stress!
You're completely right about the 'metamorphosis' thing... especially with poetry, because one or two lines can have a thousand different meanings. It's easy to go off onto tangents and find something new to toy with :D

As for research, I'm just getting a whole different bunch of poets who write in different styles, working out which style I like, and going with that. Also, you may want to investigate the ways in which the themes you are using are represented. Check out this page, there's heaps of great poems here: http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/

whyjonathan said:
Aestheticism is the theme/concept bouncing around at the moment. all about how ugly the world is, and how our senses are so dulled we are content with that uglyness.
I'm not entirely sure, but my class is currently studying 'Romanticism in relation to Coleridge's poetry'. I quote Wikipedia, on 'Romanticism':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanticism said:
It stressed strong emotion as a source of aesthetic experience, placing new emphasis on such emotions as trepidation, horror, and the awe experienced in confronting the sublimity of nature.
So, yeah, you might want to take a look at romanticism, and the romantic era of poetry. Coleridge, Byron, and everyone else mentioned on the Wikipedia article. lol.

more ponderings:
shimmy&shine said:
you have no idea how to poem-ify?
just brainstorm.
Yeah exactly! I'm doing a music themed set of poems, and as such, I just did this:
- Make a CD with music appropriate to your theme.
- Listen to the CD for 40-odd minutes and just write whatever comes to mind. WHATEVER. and, it may be advisable to do it without stopping, but if you get on a really good thread, just run with it. In my experience, poetry's kinda unpredictable like that. :D

shimmy&shine

HSC
weeeeeeeeeeeelcome Sw1tch! Thanks for your contribution to this dying thread, lol.

so how is everyone going with their major works? :)

rissie

HSC
summary:
I have seven poems that are definitely going in - 1500 words so far
I also have several others that I've written but have no idea what to do with them haha.
I have five more ideas for poems that I need to sit down and write
I'm meant to have a first draft by now!
:eek:

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
That's not a bad effort. The best thing about poetry as an EE2 medium is that you never really need to have a first draft of your major work as a whole. You can get away with editing one poem while writing another which sounds like what you've done so far. No need to panic, just listen to the muse within.

sarge1

HSC
hey guys
im doin a novellete for my major work but also slotting in some poetry that a characters in my story write through tehir life. Ive never really been a big poetry write so if any1 would like to check out wot ive done so far let me know. My teacher says the poetry is good but i think i might need another opinion.
just private message me if any1 can help me out

slinkysezzy

HSC
Hi guys, I'm just inviting you to join EE2 Feedback Exchange which is a google group for discussion and feedback for our major works - without the whole "public forum" issue.

If you're interested in joining the group just PM me your email address and i'll add you to the list.

See you later,

Sara

mad-triste

HSC
My name's Tristan, and... and...

(it's just so hard to admit)

I'm taking ex2 poetry 2007.

There! I said it!

*falls into stormy weeping*

It's very tragic, actually. I haven't the slightest interest in free verse poetry; I've written half a very bad first draft with no editing. And so far, no one has read my mw. Not even the teachers. And they had my journal for two and a half weeks.

That's my sad little story; I'm just wondering why I'm not writing my true desire - a radio play.

Ok. Slightly irrational.

tillytilly

HSC
I did my first Viva Voce three weeks ago, it was good. I got full marks for my draft stuff : D

So, o knowledgeable ones, how do I get back into it after the "I cant do any work because the teacher has all my stuff" break?

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
By doing whatever it was you were doing when you first started. Writing whatever comes to mind whenever it comes to mind. The more junk you come up with the better because it gives you something to discuss when it comes time to write up your reflection statement.

holden4ever89

HSC
i havent done my viva yet....i think its in a couple of weeks,

dont know why ours seems later then everyone elses

my b.o.w is going great guns (whatever that expression means)

about 80% complete so far and all that is completly edited

plus reflection statement is 99% done

im definately gunna miss this course :(

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I think most people who do this course miss it. I'm quite impressed with the amount of work you've done so far! At this stage most people are in panic mode while their muses are on vacation.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
holden4ever89 said:
i havent done my viva yet....i think its in a couple of weeks,

dont know why ours seems later then everyone elses

my b.o.w is going great guns (whatever that expression means)

about 80% complete so far and all that is completly edited

plus reflection statement is 99% done

im definately gunna miss this course :(
You've completely edited it?

Wow.

Thats absolutely shocking. Plus I bet when you read over it right before you hand it in, you'll be like "I want to change this and this and this." Keep editing it before you hand it in, it'll help keep it all fresh and cohesive.

Shazzle

HSC
hey guys, im doing ext 2 english poetry this year, the only one doing poetry out of 4 people in the grade.. so who else is doing it and how are yours going?
im up to 1075 words atm and have to have 2500 completed (draft) by next weds, plus the viva voce (yay).
so how is everyones going and which styles of poetry are u doing? mine is part free style writing and partly structured.
i read thru quite a few of the past major works which were put up... they were pretty awesome, and really inspirational. I feel like mine is lacking in the research area.. but most of my ideas came from what I was thinking at the time rather than something I was actually reading into... does that count as research lol? i dont know if i have 3500 words of poetry in me :\ anyone got tips?

Last edited:

tillytilly

HSC
Yeah, I had my second Viva about two weeks ago, and had to have a full draft for that. So I've got 4, 000 words, but once I get that draft back there'll be editing; oh yes, there will be editing. Mine is unstructured. I've been told that it recalls the stlye of T.S Eliot and Plath, however. I don't really know how to describe it otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)