2007 NSW State Elections- So Why Did Peter Debnam Lose? (1 Viewer)

*hopeful*

HSC
lack of campaigning

alot of ppl had no idea who he was until they heard/saw the labour ad's about him

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
*hopeful* said:
lack of campaigning

alot of ppl had no idea who he was until they heard/saw the labour ad's about him
Unfortunately not every party has a massive union funded warchest and 1 000 000 free "State Plan" booklets at their disposal.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
withoutaface said:
Unfortunately not every party has a massive union funded warchest and 1 000 000 free "State Plan" booklets at their disposal.
So you are taking the official Debnam line? It's unfair the ALP had more money than we did? Seriously that is not the kind of talk or attitude thats going to win elections.

The Liberal party is hardly poor. I was under the impression that the Liberals were saving their war chest for the Federal election.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
wheredanton said:
So you are taking the official Debnam line? It's unfair the ALP had more money than we did? Seriously that is not the kind of talk or attitude thats going to win elections.

The Liberal party is hardly poor. I was under the impression that the Liberals were saving their war chest for the Federal election.
There were definately other factors, and personally if I was running the campaign I would've put ads of Debnam talking up his Naval experience, his intent to hire more frontline public servants and why water recycling is the only sensible solution to the current shortage. The media and the government itself were already doing enough to self destruct by making stupid mistake after stupid mistake, but there was nothing to add a personal touch and tout Debnam's leadership credentials.

Much of the money is being saved up for the Federal election, but I can forsee a similar spending ratio occuring there. The impression that the party isn't poor because it tends to hold more affluent electorates is wrong because business tends to divide its donations equally between the two major parties, whereas the unions are obviously going to pump all their funds into Labor.

kokodamonkey

HSC
withoutaface said:
There were definately other factors, and personally if I was running the campaign I would've put ads of Debnam talking up his Naval experience, his intent to hire more frontline public servants and why water recycling is the only sensible solution to the current shortage. The media and the government itself were already doing enough to self destruct by making stupid mistake after stupid mistake, but there was nothing to add a personal touch and tout Debnam's leadership credentials.

Much of the money is being saved up for the Federal election, but I can forsee a similar spending ratio occuring there. The impression that the party isn't poor because it tends to hold more affluent electorates is wrong because business tends to divide its donations equally between the two major parties, whereas the unions are obviously going to pump all their funds into Labor.
Debnam's problem was he allowed labour to define him to the electorate, and failed to define Morris Dilemma to the electorate. DOnt forget that labour spent like $20 for every $1 coalition spent? called trade union commie funding. So its a bit hard to compete with all that advertising.

But yes a alot of money will be spent for the federal election, the coalition might even come close to matching howmuch labour pay! Because good old business's will add to the warchest to ensure rudd doesnt fuckup industrial relations.

HSC
*hopeful* said:
lack of campaigning

I love the clip they showed of Debnam going to vote, and the girl marking the role was like "ok who are you? right in front of the media :rofl:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
LOL

Here are my reasons.
-Labor did over-advertise and over-campaign if you compare it to Peter Debnam.
-IR laws. He wasn't really bright for saying that he will hand IR powers to John Howard at a time when 2/3rds of Australians opposed it. (according to the polls)

spiny norman

HSC
withoutaface said:

Come now. While Labor certainly had more paid advertising, the Liberals did pretty nicely in terms of free advertising from the media.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
He was incompetent. He didn't know his policies (of the few that he had), he bumbled his way through interviews and he lived in Vaucluse.

YankeeChica

Banned
HSC
wheredanton said:
Thats what the last issue of The Bulettin said. Liberal will come back with a vengeance in federal election, supported by Business owners Australia wide. it will be a battle of peasants and borgeoisie :D

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
jb_nc said:
Yeah, totally would have won if he lived in Campbelltown (tall poppy syndrome alert).
Kinda like Morris Iemma...you know...the premier? The member for Lakemba? There's a reason why they included all those swipes at Vaucluse in their ads, it has a bit to do with the fact that most of Sydney doesn't live anywhere near Sydney.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Kinda like Morris Iemma...you know...the premier? The member for Lakemba? There's a reason why they included all those swipes at Vaucluse in their ads, it has a bit to do with the fact that most of Sydney doesn't live anywhere near Sydney.
Uh, the election was for NSW, not Sydney. Let's all move out to Lakemba!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Lol. Because the majority of NSW doesn't live in Sydney, right?
Only 48,999 voters live in the electoral district of Sydney.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
He was never going to win because he was too ugly. Looks are quite important for politicians.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)