2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (2 Viewers)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Hahahaha. Has anyone compared the Liberal and Labor websites yet? If I wasn't so obviously inclined to vote for the Labor party anyway, I think that looking at the Liberal website would push me over.
You sort of get this idea from the Liberal site that there might be something called 'Labor' and it might be bad. I'm not sure, it's very subtle.

ZabZu

HSC
Exphate said:
It's hilarious that the most dirt they can get on the ALP is that they hired an actor to act in an ad.

I'm scared.
Remember the actor in the Liberal ad defending WorkChoices a few months ago? He was an employer who didnt pay two of his workers.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hmmm. Of those seats, three are marginal (Makin, Blair, Wentworth). Doubt it will make any difference to the campaign at this point anyway, but meh.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Those ALP ads with the bing and buzz noises are seriously beggining to piss me off. Whoever thought that grating noises in advertisements would be a good idea needs a good, swift kick to the gonads.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
TheOz said:
THE accident-prone campaign of star Labor recruit George Newhouse has hit another pothole, with a leaked email revealing his campaign manager has espoused anti-Zionism.
The revelation that Mr Newhouse's campaign manager, Rose Jackson, has spoken out against the Jewish state has the potential to hurt his chances in the marginal eastern Sydney seat of Wentworth, which has the largest number of Jewish voters of any electorate in Australia.
The Liberal Party also stepped up its attack on the legitimacy of Mr Newhouse's candidacy yesterday, naming him among 13 Labor candidates across the country it claims may not be able to run.
Labor dismissed the claims, raised by Liberal frontbencher Andrew Robb, as baseless and a sign of desperation by the Government.
But a cloud continues to hang over Mr Newhouse's candidacy -- with conflicting legal advice on whether he resigned from a paid position with the NSW Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal in time to nominate for the seat -- and Ms Jackson's comments could further damage his campaign.
In an email addressed "Dear activists", Ms Jackson wrote to an internet education discussion forum last year: "I oppose Zionism because it calls for the creation of a Jewish state, and I think all governments should be secular.
"No Jewish, Islamic, Christian states anywhere in the world, just good, robust, secular democracies," she said. "By speaking out on behalf of the Palestinians and Lebanese people, we can give voice to those that some governments and media would wish to silence."
Ms Jackson, 22, the daughter of ABC television journalist Liz Jackson, was president of the National Union of Students at the time she wrote the email.
She stressed yesterday her email was directed against rabid anti-Israel comments on the website which, she believed, shaded into racism. In it she chastises a forum member who accuses Jews of "a fetish for genocide".
Asked if her views sat uncomfortably next to those of Mr Newhouse -- who is a leading member of the Jewish community and whose father, Arnold, was president of the State Zionist Council of NSW -- Ms Jackson said, "I don't know George's position on Israel.
"I'm just opposed to theocracy. I certainly support the right of Israel to exist, but not as a Jewish state."
Later, Ms Jackson released a statement retracting her 2006 comments.
"Last year, when I wrote the email, I did not understand the definition of Zionism," she said in the statement.
"Since then, I have discovered that Zionism is about a homeland for the Jewish people.
"I support Israel. I support Israel's right to exist."
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22795651-601,00.html

Nice work Rose :)

ZabZu

HSC
hunter1 said:
Just vote Coalition people please. lol
I would but i disagree with them on:
- industrial relations
- education
- foreign policy
- environmental policy
- social policies
- aborigines
- economic policy (a bit too conservative for me)
- in the past they have used racism to try get the marginal seats

those are the reasons i can think of off the top of my head

Smithereens

HSC
ZabZu said:
I would but i disagree with them on:
- industrial relations
- education
- foreign policy
- environmental policy
- social policies
- aborigines
- economic policy (a bit too conservative for me)
- in the past they have used racism to try get the marginal seats

those are the reasons i can think of off the top of my head
Yeah, that's basically everything?

Smithereens

HSC
We've had Paul Keating's article. Now Bob Hawke's:

JOHN Howard has advanced three arguments why you should not vote Labor, each one based on a gross misrepresentation of the truth. I will now demolish those arguments, not with opinions but with facts.

First, the trade union bogy. Every working Australian, and those dependent on them, is indebted to the trade union movement. Everything they take for granted that largely makes up their standard and quality of living — their pay structure, paid annual leave, long-service leave, sick leave, penalty rates, equal pay — was fought for and won by the trade union movement.

I can speak with authority on this because for many years I presented before the national Arbitration Tribunal the union case for improvements in wages and conditions. On every occasion when I walked into the court I was confronted with an array of bewigged senior counsel representing the Coalition governments in the states and Canberra, lined up with the employer organisations, to oppose the improvements that trade unions were fighting to obtain for working Australians.

So whose advertisements on industrial relations and WorkChoices are you going to believe? The employer organisations and the Coalition that have consistently used the independent tribunals to deny you any improvements, and who have now neutered those tribunals and the protections they provide for the most needy — or Labor and the trade unions who have argued the cases from which working Australians continue to be the beneficiaries?

As to TV advertisements and the trade unions: what an insult to voters' intelligence is Howard's "union thug" scam. The fact is that in an organisation as vast as the Australian trade union movement there will be some bad apples. (You may remember that when I was prime minister I finished off Norm Gallagher, a union bad apple of his day; Kevin Rudd has shown his readiness to be just as tough.)

But ask the question: what would Howard say if Rudd, in the context of attacking employers' support for WorkChoices, authorised a TV advertisement with a photograph of a businessman, jailed for criminal behaviour for defrauding thousands of senior citizens of their life savings, with the caption "Employer Crooks"?
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/11/20/1195321779086.html

ZabZu

HSC
Smithereens said:
Yeah, that's basically everything?
i forgot something. Australia becoming a republic, but i suppose its not the Liberal party that opposes it, John Howard is the obstacle.

atreus

HSC
suddenly if someone wants to vote labor, they are an idiot. i have spoken to heaps of liberal supporters who have no idea what they are voting for, so to say that the brain dead vote for labor is a huge misconception.

on top of this, if u ever raise voting labor with a liberal supporter u get your head bitten off. any criticism of their policies is met with abuse and scare tactics. and yet when i speak to most labor supporters, they respect someones's decision to vote liberal, even though they will try to persuade them to change their mind. why the difference between the two groups?

if the government changes, the coalition will not take it easily. u can already see the desperation with the allegations of the 13 'ineligible' labor candidates, and all the other fear campaigns. they are starting to look really pathetic.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Hey, you're a Labor supporter I'm guessing? I love how you put down liberal supporters for having a go at labor supporters, claiming labor supporters are different, while being a labor supporter and putting liberals down - Just a bit of introspection for you...

atreus

HSC
the difference is, im not 'putting down' liberal supporters because they choose to vote for liberal. im just asking why it is that liberals tend to be more aggressive when faced with alternative views, compared with not just labor, but with other political views as well. or is it just only like this with people i know or talk to?

also, regarding bob hawke's opinion piece. he has many relevant points, and yet he will probably be bagged out for publicising his opinion like keating was.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
atreus said:
the difference is, im not 'putting down' liberal supporters because they choose to vote for liberal. im just asking why it is that liberals tend to be more aggressive when faced with alternative views, compared with not just labor, but with other political views as well. or is it just only like this with people i know or talk to?

also, regarding bob hawke's opinion piece. he has many relevant points, and yet he will probably be bagged out for publicising his opinion like keating was.
You mean like when I was like ... yeah I might as well vote Liberal because they're going to win my seat anyways and a friend lambasted me because I was anti-workers rights and a horrible rich bitch who should keep my ideas to myself... I've encountered extremists on both sides of the fence. Perhaps you just associate with more Labor supporters.

That same person also stood outside a marginal seat in the state election pretending to be from another political party handing out fake flyers so that people would vote Labor instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)