• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
ACNielsen due out in the Fairfax papers tomorrow also. (Which I'd be liable to trust more than Galaxy, given that Galaxy has had a couple of Coalition-leaning outliers this year.)

HSC
You can just feel the change of momentum in the air...

EDIT: Labor releases tax policy

http://www.smh.com.au/news/economy/rudd-outlines-tax-plan/2007/10/19/1192301012405.html

"Rudd said labor would have a six-year plan to slash the tax scales that would bring the top tax rate down to 40 per cent. He said Labor would have just three tax rates 15, 30 and 40 per cent. The 30 per cent rate would apply to incomes between $37,000 and $181,000."

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Should make the Sunday debate interesting.
I was paralyzed with fear since last night, but not so much now. If Rudd cant win for Labor, then nobody and nothing can.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Costello attempts to stay on message by connecting two entirely unrelated issues:
He said Labor's promise to cut the top tax rate after the next election could not be believed because the unions would not allow Mr Rudd to do it.
Because unions hate rich people! And they hate success! And they want to murder your children!

menelaus

HSC
i heard that if rudd wins government, they're going to renovate the master bedroom of the lodge so that theres a door connecting it to sharon burrow's room next door. that way she can keep a closer eye on him.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Iron said:
If Rudd cant win for Labor, then nobody and nothing can.
And if Howard can't win for the liberals, they'll find themselves in a situation where there is no state or federal liberal party in power. Barring epic failure, labor will find it easy to win subsequent terms

With no state or federal liberal governments, the infighting in the liberals will be huge. People will start to question the future and relevance of the liberal party.

Whoever loses this election will be struggling to survive as a political force.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22609753-2,00.html
SENATE-hopeful Pauline Hanson's latest tilt at federal politics has been dealt a savage blow with revelations she has knowingly allowed a convicted pedophile to work on her campaign.

Ms Hanson yesterday confirmed she was receiving volunteer help from Bob Dutton, who pleaded guilty in 2003 of sexually molesting two children about 30 years ago.

"I am totally against pedophiles, I have no time for them," she said.

"If I thought Bob was guilty of that I wouldn't have him around me."

She compared Mr Dutton's case to her own wrongful imprisonment, saying not all people found guilty actually committed the crime.
Pauline, it's not so much that he was found guilty, more that he pleaded guilty. Thank god she's running, though, Pauline's campaigns always deliver some welcome comic relief.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hahaha I have no time for pedophiles. I wish she'd go away.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Fish Sauce said:
Fuck I miss out on voting by 5 days.
Heh. That happened to me at the state election.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/20/2065060.htm:
John Howard has officially opened the Granny Smith Festival in Eastwood.

The crowd was dominated by volunteers from both major political parties and activist groups, prompting Mr Howard to temporarily forget where he was.

"It's a remarkable, Mr Speaker - 'Mr Speaker!' There you go, I get into these bad habits!" he said.

"Whenever anybody interrupts me I say 'Mr Speaker.'"
Senile much?

jimmayyy

HSC
Musk said:
I shall be watching the debate, I still havn't made up my mind

If my local MP retired (Danna Vale) then I'm 100% libs but atm im 50;50
we live near each other >_>

HSC
hmm...after one week of campaigning, Im guessing this election will be like 98, where Labour gets over 50% of the vote, but the Coalition hangs on to enough seats to maintain majority in the house.

I think Rudd has lost control of the media in the past week. Leading up to the election he was always the centre of attention, but just recently he seems to mostly be the footnote of stories that are about the Coalition.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rafy said:
Westpoll of Western Australian Marginals.
http://www.pollbludger.com/westpoll2010.jpg

Liberals would hold onto Hasluck and Stirling, and take Cowan from Labor (with a 5% swing)
Problem is that Westpoll is notoriously inaccurate, and the sample sizes were only ~400.

The Granny Smith Festival today I think showed that the momentum is well an truly with the PM there, Maxine was standing around and nobody noticed or cared, while Howard pulled a massive crowd on his street walk. Another interesting thing I noticed was that the "old and stale" PM was the one with practically all of his ~100 strong team under the age of 25, while 95% of Maxine's people were at least 40, with probably the majority on the wrong side of retirement age.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yes but your observations are notoriously biased, so stfu.

Campaigning in Macarthur has been bumingly boring. Curse you Pat Farmer and your ability to somehow maintain a safe seat despite doing jack while sitting as a member!

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Problem is that Westpoll is notoriously inaccurate, and the sample sizes were only ~400.

The Granny Smith Festival today I think showed that the momentum is well an truly with the PM there, Maxine was standing around and nobody noticed or cared, while Howard pulled a massive crowd on his street walk. Another interesting thing I noticed was that the "old and stale" PM was the one with practically all of his ~100 strong team under the age of 25, while 95% of Maxine's people were at least 40, with probably the majority on the wrong side of retirement age.
Aside - That reach out ad is annoying me to death.

Question (Kevin Rudd style) - Is that more due to those volunteering to be a part of Ms. McKew's team or Labor's attempt to control the campaign within the seat (i.e., weed out the ideologues and those unable to present a courteous face to the electorate)? I'd go with the latter - given the nature of the contest, Ms McKew and her advisors probably feel that they have a responsibility to control the campaign and as such limit the number of younger volunteers who may well believe that in your face abuse is an accepted part of any local campaign.

Poorly phrased, yes, but a reasonable assumption regardless.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)