2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Re: 2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

I was dissapointed that Kim wouldnt answer Tuckey - almost looked like he didnt know why he opposed the Bill.
Other than that, I dont blame him for holding his ground. Tuckey was clearly threatening him. Any other reaction, and he'd be tagged as weak.

I wish there was a link to the footage. Classic.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC

Ah look. Harcher has gone and pretty much summerised some of my argument.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/silence-when-the-volume-is-turned-up-to-21/2006/08/10/1154803026212.html

On Wednesday, Labor asked Howard about interest rates four times, and each time Howard gave the same answer. He called the peak mortgage rate under Labor in 1989 "the notorious 17 per cent", "the dizzy heights of 17 per cent", and "the bitterly remembered heights of 17 per cent". Say what you like, Howard seemed to be saying with a dogged imperturbability of which Nigel would be proud, but yours went to 17.

So yesterday, Labor's treasury spokesman, Wayne Swan, reminded Howard that interest rates had hit 21 per cent in 1982 under the then Liberal treasurer, John Howard. It was the first time that the Opposition had used this on Howard.
Kim Beazley said this week. "We have been waiting for this for a long time - it's finally reached the point where interest rates repayments on mortgages are more burdensome than in 1989."

How can this be so, with the average mortgage today about 7.8 per cent, compared to the notorious 17 per cent? Because today's buyers struggle with such huge mortgages that even though interest rates are much lower today, the proportion of their incomes that goes towards servicing them is larger.

As Labor crowed this week, it took an average 7 per cent of household incomes to meet mortgage interest repayments in the Hawke-Keating years, but since the last election it has hit 7.9 per cent.

HSC

I think the main difference in Labour/Liberal economic policy is that Beazly would place more emphasis on skills/training. Australia wouldn't be competing with China/India in wages, but rather exploiting our better education system to boost productivity.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

Just goes to show that Beazley can't do "stoushes" as good as Keating had. He could at least use some of the language Bob Hawke used.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Xayma said:
Because it is often better then a party which lies, and is pretty much ruled by big business who have no concept of actual free market or how the real world works?
ALP has done far more policy backflips than the Libs and is ruled by the trade unions, what's your point?

Generator

HSC
N/A

withoutaface said:
ALP has done far more policy backflips than the Libs and is ruled by the trade unions, what's your point?
Ah, that's precisely his point - there's nothing to be gained by making use of a shallow, partisan argument when both parties are far more alike than many would care to admit.

HSC

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060812/2/104bo.html

Saturday August 12, 08:15 PM

Beazley gaffe confuses RBA chief for MP

Opposition Leader Kim Beazley has made an embarrassing mix up - confusing the outgoing Reserve Bank governor Ian Macfarlane with the federal government minister of the same name during a news conference in Sydney.

Mr Beazley was asked his reaction to comments made by Mr Macfarlane that there was no guarantee Australia's unbroken 15 year run of low interest rates and strong economic growth could continue.

But in answering the question, Mr Beazley confused the Reserve Bank governor with the industry minister of the same name.

"Australian people with mortgages are now paying a high percentage of their income in mortgage interest payments than they ever have before," Mr Beazley replied to reporters in Sydney.

"They are hanging on, many of them, by their fingernails."

Mr Beazley then launched an attack on Mr Macfarlane.

"It's all very well for people who are well-off to go around lecturing middle Australia on their need to pay more money," Mr Beazley said.

"They are paying through the nose at the moment ... now Macfarlane can do something about that and instead of telling Australian people they ought to pay more he ought to do his job."

A spokesman for Mr Beazley later contacted AAP to say that Mr Beazley had not heard the question properly and that he had in fact meant the industry minister.

A transcript of the news conference issued by the Labor leader's office omitted the question and Mr Beazley's response.

Treasurer Peter Costello was quick to criticise Mr Beazley over the mix-up.

"The governor of the Reserve Bank is Ian Macfarlane, he is doing his job and for Mr Beazley to go out and gratuitously insult him because he does not even know his name is just another indication Mr Beazley understands precious little about economics," Mr Costello said.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC

Captain� Obvious said:
"The governor of the Reserve Bank is Ian Macfarlane, he is doing his job and for Mr Beazley to go out and gratuitously insult him because he does not even know his name is just another indication Mr Beazley understands precious little about economics," Mr Costello said.
Bahaha, I think that shows the shallowness of Costello - he'd jump on any excuse to criticise the opposition and make specious remarks. I'm pretty embarrased for Beazley - but we all make mistakes. Unfortunately, when we make them in politics, they become soapy episodes (not that politics isn't one big continuous soapy).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

goldendawn said:
Bahaha, I think that shows the shallowness of Costello - he'd jump on any excuse to criticise the opposition and make specious remarks.
As would any politician.

Beazley later retracted these comments. That would suggest that he was merely attacking the person, not the actual substance of what was was quoted to him.
The comments are still the same regardless which macfarlane uttered them.
Its almost a reflex action politicans have. They attack everything and anything that could possibly be associated with the other side. They attack based on identity, not because they necessarily disagree with the essence of what is said.

i.e Allegations of shallowness could be leveled against most in politics.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I wish Kimbo would lift his game a little though. He seems too slow and unconvincing lately.

And I thought rafy was a fella.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC

Rafy said:
i.e Allegations of shallowness could be leveled against most in politics.

Haha, I'm well aware of that. Part of my own shallowness is that I never cease to delight in pointing it out.

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Dont like either: Labor's social policy and the coalitions economic policy are pretty bad.

Additionally Labors commitment to their economic standards and the coalitions commitment to their social policy standards look doubtful.

Hopeful for the return of the DLP on the federal level, if not, it may look like ffp :(

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Coalition clears hurdles to lead

THE Howard Government has opened an election-winning lead over the ALP despite rising interest rates, record petrol prices and divisions over asylum-seekers.

And Labor has slipped below the critical level of 40 per cent primary support in Newspoll for the first time since June.

In the latest Newspoll survey, conducted exclusively for The Australian, the Coalition's primary support rose from 42 per cent last week to 44per cent, and Labor's primary vote fell four points to 37 per cent.

On a two-party-preferred basis, using preference flows at the last election, the Coalition has edged back in front, 51 per cent to Labor's 49.

It is the Coalition's highest primary vote since June, and Labor's lowest since April.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20131504-2702,00.html
While you have to look at the trend and not individual polls in isolation, (the reported movements are just noise) recent polling hasnt reflected positively on Labor's performance. Labor is falling to capitalise on all the ills to befall the government. With I.R, interest rates, fuel prices, Inflation, the attacks on the coaltions' economic credentials etc, you'd expect labor to be in a better position.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Wouldn't it be a laugh if the Coalition managed to increase their maj again?

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Iron said:
Given the state of the opposition parties at the moment, its almost a guarantee.

HSC

Iron said:

probably it will :rofl:

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC

I'm not sure what's more of a disturbing prospect:

Peter Costello leading the Coalition Party OR
Kim Beazley as Prime Minister?

John Howard has made for an excellent PM, and I would love to see him go through for yet another term. Obviously, it is a general consensus among the public seeing as he has been repeatedly re-elected. :) He must be doing something right?

What annoys me is the vogue fashion to hate him. It's the 'in thing'. Maybe if the simple-minded realised how much he has done for Australia, and the Australian economy, there would be none of the 'booing' seen at sporting functions that The Hon. John Howard attends. That REALLY annoys me.

Generator

HSC
N/A

JaredR said:
Peter Costello leading the Coalition Party OR
Kim Beazley as Prime Minister?
It's the Coalition, not the Coalition Party.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)