2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
bshoc said:
Most people don't want him back, if anything it will provoke a backlash against any political force that facilitated such an action -ie. the left.[/quote[

you're a penis.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
you're a penis.
Besides that I'm probably right.

It would be great if one of the right wing think-tanks started a campaign to educate the public on the life of Dawood Hicks and his activities against coalition forces in Afghanistan.

Optophobia

HSC
bshoc said:
Besides that I'm probably right.

It would be great if one of the right wing think-tanks started a campaign to educate the public on the life of Dawood Hicks and his activities against coalition forces in Afghanistan.
If they had enough footage & evidence to make a campaign, then they would have enough to put him before a court and then into gaol. They don't. So, being a right wing think tank, they would have to do what right wing think tanks do - deceive the public by bending the truth, implying that he's a terrorist, use of stereotypes and slow motion footage.

kokodamonkey

HSC
Optophobia said:
If they had enough footage & evidence to make a campaign, then they would have enough to put him before a court and then into gaol. They don't. So, being a right wing think tank, they would have to do what right wing think tanks do - deceive the public by bending the truth, implying that he's a terrorist, use of stereotypes and slow motion footage.
david hicks is a terrorist.

ZabZu

HSC
kokodamonkey said:
david hicks is a terrorist.
If he is a terrorist he can go on trial and be sentenced accordingly. We are degrading ourselves closer to the level of Al-Qaeda by locking people up without trial.

kokodamonkey

HSC
ZabZu said:
If he is a terrorist he can go on trial and be sentenced accordingly. We are degrading ourselves closer to the level of Al-Qaeda by locking people up without trial.
yes i see your point about receiving a prompt trial. but just remember. he is a P.O.W. this is the middle of a war. he does not have nor entitled to the same rights.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
The reasoning behind the failure of the NSW Opposition, is that aside from 'leadership', they are not a capable alternative. Yet for some reason, it is widely percieved that Rudd and the ALP are. Whether this is because of Rudd's ability in the media, I'm not quite sure. However, when deciding this, let's have a look at the key potential cabinet positions:

Treasurer - Wayne Swan (heaven forbid)

Health Minister - Nicola Roxon (ah..who?)

Attorney General - Joseph Ludwig ( CAptain Von Trapp?)

Education - Stephen Smith ( :eek: )

Foreign Affairs - Robert McClelland

Defence - Joel Fitzgibbon (Factional hardman extraordinaire)

Workplace Relations - Julia Gillard

As they say, Different Leader, Same Old Labor..

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I think that the perception of the NSW Liberal frontbench not being capable is to do with the fact that we never see them. I don't believe that being a minister is something you necessarily need oodles of experience to do, since you have an enormous public service and the Cabinet advising you, but I'd like to hear from the ministers before they're elected. We've heard plenty about IR policy from Gillard, a fair bit about Defence from Fitzgibbon (although not this year because Defence hasn't been much of an issue), we'll probably hear more on foreign affairs from McClelland (I remember hearing from him on his old portfolio, homeland security), and if you don't know who Nicola Roxon is you really haven't been paying attention. She was considered a bit of a rising star when she was in immigration a couple of years back.

Stephen Smith, meanwhile, debated Julie Bishop on education only a few weeks back on the 7.30 Report, and Joseph Ludwig - I admit, I've never heard of him, but he's only been in the Attorney-General position a few weeks and let's face it, it's not the highest-profile position. He could probably start talking about Hicks a bit more.

I'd be less sceptical about the NSW Lib front bench if I knew something about them. Anything, really.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Triangulum said:
I think that the perception of the NSW Liberal frontbench not being capable is to do with the fact that we never see them. I don't believe that being a minister is something you necessarily need oodles of experience to do, since you have an enormous public service and the Cabinet advising you, but I'd like to hear from the ministers before they're elected. We've heard plenty about IR policy from Gillard, a fair bit about Defence from Fitzgibbon (although not this year because Defence hasn't been much of an issue), we'll probably hear more on foreign affairs from McClelland (I remember hearing from him on his old portfolio, homeland security), and if you don't know who Nicola Roxon is you really haven't been paying attention. She was considered a bit of a rising star when she was in immigration a couple of years back.

Stephen Smith, meanwhile, debated Julie Bishop on education only a few weeks back on the 7.30 Report, and Joseph Ludwig - I admit, I've never heard of him, but he's only been in the Attorney-General position a few weeks and let's face it, it's not the highest-profile position. He could probably start talking about Hicks a bit more.

I'd be less sceptical about the NSW Lib front bench if I knew something about them. Anything, really.
The biggest issue is media airtime. The media rarely provide state shadow ministers with any time at all, whilst promoting the federal arena as much as possible.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
frog12986 said:
let's have a look at the key potential cabinet positions:

Treasurer - Wayne Swan (heaven forbid)
Health Minister - Nicola Roxon (ah..who?)
Attorney General - Joseph Ludwig ( CAptain Von Trapp?)
Education - Stephen Smith ( :eek: )
Foreign Affairs - Robert McClelland
Defence - Joel Fitzgibbon (Factional hardman extraordinaire)
Workplace Relations - Julia Gillard
As they say, Different Leader, Same Old Labor..
Hm. Convincing.

The reality is that ministers are surrounded with scores of personal advisors and expert departments.
I think you're overestimating the minister's role anyway. It's really quite rare for any particular minister to make their own impact. They make informed decisions, often without political motivation.

Abbot is a religious nutt. Costello is unjustly arrogant and patronising. Downer is a cross-dressing, establishment twit.
And so it goes. Governing is different

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Iron said:
Hm. Convincing.

The reality is that ministers are surrounded with scores of personal advisors and expert departments.
I think you're overestimating the minister's role anyway. It's really quite rare for any particular minister to make their own impact. They make informed decisions, often without political motivation.

Abbot is a religious nutt. Costello is unjustly arrogant and patronising. Downer is a cross-dressing, establishment twit.
And so it goes. Governing is different
To a point, but then what is the point of having ministers in the first place if the bureaucrats are the real decision makers? Ultimately it is the minister that is held to account for major issues, and subsequently their credibility and ability are assessed.

Whether Costello is arrogant, or Abbott religious is irrelevant. In their respective positions they hold a distinct advantage over their shadow counterparts. One thing I can be sure of, is that I would much rather Costello oversighting the actions of treasury than Wayne Swan..

kokodamonkey

HSC
frog12986 said:
To a point, but then what is the point of having ministers in the first place if the bureaucrats are the real decision makers? Ultimately it is the minister that is held to account for major issues, and subsequently their credibility and ability are assessed.

Whether Costello is arrogant, or Abbott religious is irrelevant. In their respective positions they hold a distinct advantage over their shadow counterparts. One thing I can be sure of, is that I would much rather Costello oversighting the actions of treasury than Wayne Swan..
which is why rudd WILL NOT BE ELECTED. coz they are all a joke. Half of them are bloody Watermellons just like their buddies the Greens. (watermellon = green on the outside... but on their inside they are RED commies rwar run!)
Seriouslly though, On I.R. Rudd said he will not be like Kevin Beazly and tear up the awa's and workchoices, but instead he will chuck them in the bin. Rudd will not get elected when he is goin to scrap work choices + awa's...

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
kokodamonkey said:
which is why rudd WILL NOT BE ELECTED. coz they are all a joke. Half of them are bloody Watermellons just like their buddies the Greens. (watermellon = green on the outside... but on their inside they are RED commies rwar run!)
Seriouslly though, On I.R. Rudd said he will not be like Kevin Beazly and tear up the awa's and workchoices, but instead he will chuck them in the bin. Rudd will not get elected when he is goin to scrap work choices + awa's...
Troll.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)