2006 MC 12 and 2007 13 (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Can someone explain 2006 question 12 and 2007 question 13?

I don't get either of them (I assume they must be a similar concept too)...SuccessOne answers don't help me.

thanks

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
havent done 2007 yet but 2006 q12
basically, if a charged particle is moving parallel to a magnetic field, there is no force acting on it
if you look at the equation F=qvBsinΘ, B does affect F
v affects F, but if it is parallel, Θ=90, so F=0

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
ok checked out 2007
A and B are both parallel, so rule them out. if you draw a diagram with a wire and the magnetic field around it, then use rhpr. (because the mag field is circular, just draw a tangent at any point) then flip the direction you come up with as electrons are negative
hope that made some sense

shanks27

HSC
2006 Q12 answer is C, because using the right hand rule a charged particle's force only comes when it is perpendicular to the field. If a charge particle enters a magnetic field parallel to the field there is no effect on it.

2007 Q13 Answer is C, because when the current flows in the wire a magnetic field is created, using the right hand grip rule. BEcause the electron expierences a force in the same direction, its magnetic field must add to the one created by the current in the wire. So once again if u look at the right hand palm rule for the forces to add together, the electron must be travelling perpiduclar to the magnetic field (to expierence a force) and towards it (to add to the force of the current). for that question it is good to draw a diagram and jst put the current in then work backwards to work out which way the electron is going

Hope it helps

dolbinau

HSC
Got 06 bur not 07, so frustrating!

I get the magnetic field around the wire, but that's about it. I don't know how to use the right hand palm rule on a circular magnetic field :S. WHere do I draw a tangent?

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
anywhere
draw it as if the wire is out of page, then the mag field will be a circle
then draw a tangent anywhere on the circle

samwell

HSC
dolbinau said:
Can someone explain 2006 question 12 and 2007 question 13?

I don't get either of them (I assume they must be a similar concept too)...SuccessOne answers don't help me.

thanks
The 06 qsn was a trick 4 pple who did not look care fully e.g ME yh its perpendicular to the current carrying conductor as everyone just said...lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)